Strength training at home

Options
Hey Guys-
Forgive me if this is redundant, but I wanted to ask for advice on strength training at home. I have been focusing on cardio but need to add strength training as well.
I have read about body weight training, and that sounds interesting.
Anyone have a video they could recommend where you can use some handheld weights or something? I don't want to have to store any bulky equipment.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Google fitnessfooddiva and fitness lender is in YouTube.
  • lizlemon4
    lizlemon4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bob haper has a good DVD.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Check out Mark Lauren's App. You Are Your Own Gym. It is three bucks or so. Also free videos on YouTube. I found it helpful. Body weight training is all I do.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Start buying pairs of dumbells, untill you have a range of 8lb-20lbs. :)
  • EmilyNan
    EmilyNan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    troytroy11 wrote: »
    Check out Mark Lauren's App. You Are Your Own Gym. It is three bucks or so. Also free videos on YouTube. I found it helpful. Body weight training is all I do.

Thanks! Great suggestions from all!

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    from community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10349030/resistance-bands#latest thread
    I recommend mark Lauren's You are Your Own Gym (often abbreviated to YAYOG). There are books (which I have used) but I've heard that there is also an IOS app which is supposed to be good.

YAYOG is strength training but using your own body weight and some bits of household equipment (I think he recommends a pull up bar that fits into a doorway and a lot of exercises use a chair).

There are other programs - I think Convict Conditioning is highly rated among home exercisers - I've read the book but didn't follow that specific program.

Best wishes
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Following. Because im trying to add weight training too... need to build the strength up in arms plus i like the sound of the benefits of weight training :)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Google fitnessfooddiva and fitness lender is in YouTube.

Fitness Blender
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Check out BodyFit by Amy on youtube, I follow her kettlebell workouts but she does all sorts, including exercises with your own body weight.