A paleo recipe I made

Options
honnie43
honnie43 Posts: 17 Member
My husbands mother calls it goulash but in the states we call it stew :) real easy I use what vegetables I like usually mix vegetable with sweet potatoes and parsnip, dump in the pan cut up . Then pick your meat either beef or venison cut up and brown it then dumb in pan add two cans of your fav beer . Then cut up three large sweet onions and sauté them with one tablespoon of butter or ghee. When done add them to pan . Then add salt pepper and we use essence . Then cook it 375 for three hours after you take it out make a rue with ghee or butter or coconut oil mix in 1/2 cup of flour or tapioca flour and 2 tablespoons of hon Hungarian paprika melt it together till it is a paste then add to your stew it will thicken it up :) my family loves this stuff hope u like it :)

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    And this is paleo as opposed to normal stew, because?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the paleo diet suggest no alcohol? Never tried the diet just seem to remember reading that somewhere.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I don't think that beer would be classed as Paleo (it's made from grain).
  • honnie43
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Never thought about the beer having grain well throw that out then post as not paleo thanks:)
  • honnie43
    Options
    Just had a idea you could use chicken stock instead, I'm just learning the paleo diet so I haven't seen the no alcohol yet but I will look. I don't drink often but I cook with it a lot .
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Yeh, I think chicken stock would work well. The beer probably only adds a little flavour compared to the other seasonings (esp Paprika).
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    If not for any other reason, the fact that beer isn't paleo is a disqualifier for that dietary plan.

http://www.history.com/news/did-beer-spur-the-rise-of-agriculture-and-politics
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Paleo is kinda woo anyway. If you like the beer in the recipe, use the beer. No need to label your diet.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    FWIW I'd eat that stew either with or without the beer. Thanks for posting it.