STILLLL... Hungry alll the time..

Options
Hello again my fellow MFP friends. Same problem..different day. Hunger, I feel hungry ALL the time. Here is a sample of what I have eaten today.

Brkfast- ½ cup oatmeal + 1 cup strawberries+ protein shake
Snack 14 Almonds, Protein shake, 6 apple slices and 1 table spoon peanut butter
Lunch: Lean Cuisine Steak tips and 2.5 cups broccoli
For dinner I will have a Healthy Choice Steamer, unk what kind yet and 2 cups of broc.

Do you all see something wrong with this? Do you all know of any hunger suppressants?

Replies

• ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    looking at your diary i'd suggest you really need eat more calories hun *S*
    you definitely have lots leftover (too much really).
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Your snacks and lunches seem high in calorie, which is fine, but they are more calorically dense than other snack options. ie Instead of peanut butter, substitute grilled chicken strips. They are more filling for the amount of calories you eat. Instead of steak, have turkey meatballs, chicken, or turkey sausage... Also, try drinking more water and trying to distract yourself from hunger. Worst case, add super filling low cal options like broccoli or brussels sprouts...
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    That all looks pretty good - I'm wondering what your diary looks like as a trend.

You may want to try bumping up your fiber - that sometimes will help you feel fuller, longer. Consider sprinkling fiber (like Benefiber) on your oatmeal, or in your protein shake.

You also should do a calorie check - make sure you're eating enough calories. Especially if you're exercising.

And lastly - water, water, water. 30 minutes before, and 30 minutes after every meal. I don't particularly like drinking water during the meal because I think it's mixes with the food and evacuates your stomach faster than it should, robbing you of some of that fullness.

Best of luck!
    D.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    It was hard when I first started dieting-- I had the same problem. Until your stomach shrinks, I think the best way is to drink tons of water and try to think about something else. Chew gum, read a book, etc.

I think you're smart to try to keep protein high, but too much fatty protein (nuts, nut butter, even certain protein shakes) isn't good, either. I'd do one protein shake when you are hungriest during the day and try something low cal, lots of water or fiber, like strawberries or celery.

What really helped me was avoiding the "mealtime" trap. If I am not as hungry in the morning, I save part of whatever I am having for breakfast for when I am actually hungry (or hungrier).

Good luck!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary it doesnt look like you eat back any exercise calories. I would eat back half, that might explain the hunger.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Your body will get used to eating less first of all. After several days you should see less hunger pains though Mentally craving food is another deal entirely. I use broccoli and water to keep me full but try eating more foods that pack more substance for calories like sweet potatoes and grilled chicken. Try eating 8 oz of chicken at 340 calories and a cup of broccoli for lunch and still be hungry! Avoid nuts (and berries too), more calories than chocolate per volume! Caution with fruits and such for the same reason. Avoid higher calorie meats like steak etc so that you get more volume. You can eat a lot more chicken or turkey (or ground turkey, tuna etc) than steak. I suggested these things to my fiance, she now finds it difficult to eat enough calories by eating these leaner foods! Rice, pasta with little sauce are good options for carbs. Good Luck!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm almost a year into this and I still have days when I am terribly hungry. I don't know what the solution is. I think it just takes a long time to realize that you do not have to eat everytime you think you are hungry.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I understand always feeling hungry! (PS - you CAN drink too much water, so don't try and drink every time you want food)

One thing that jumped out at me on what you posted was protein shakes - one per day is probably ok, but instead of a second one, try a glass of skim milk, or some yogurt.

A second thing is that you are having two "freezer meals" today. Instead, can you make your own food? For example, instead of the "steak tips", what about 3 oz chicken, 1/2 cup sauce, 1 oz whole wheat pasta, 3 mushrooms, 3 black olives (chopped), and a small side salad? I know it will take a LITTLE more time to prepare, but honestly it's still doable within 20 minutes and will be much more filling and healthier.

Finally, you may be a grazer, meaning you would feel better eating smaller amounts throughout the day instead of chunky meals. I don't know if you live with anyone else, it's easier alone, but why don't you try that for a week? For example, if you are up for 16 hours and you eat 1600 calories a day - that's 100 calories per hour. You can do a banana for breakfast, a protein shake an hour later, an apple and 1/2 tbsp pb an hour later, 1/2 oz almonds an hour later, a small salad an hour later, etc...so basically you are always eating (every hour) so your body is constantly getting what it wants. And if you want more before the hour is up, just get some gum or water or hard candy - something to occupy your mouth. With this idea, you can also "Save" a few hours if you want a bigger meal (ie, don't eat from 3-6 and then eat 400 calories for the 6-7 hour).

Good luck!
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    You are not eating enough ! Try adding some whole grains like brown rice and quinoa for example, they are good for you and filling. Add some beans and leafy greens too, they are filled with fiber and will keep you filled up for ages.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I know for me if I eat processed foods I am hungry all the time. I don't know if it is something in them or they are not filling enough?
    I cook or plan my meals so I only eat fresh homemade foods 99% of the time. I find it really helped me.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I see that yesterday, you had 700 cals left. I do not know for anyone else, but for me, if I didn't eat enought the day before.....I am starving the day after!!!! So I have learned to eat as much as possible everyday. Good luck. At the beguining, I was using gum to help me with hunger. Now I rarely feel hungry
  • truchamp06
    truchamp06 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    THANKS! Everyone! As for those who suggest more water.. Heres the deal. I work as a dispatcher. We work 10-12 hr shifts. I drink about 8 ounces of water a hr, and i already make a lot of trips to the restroom (1 every hour) every time i leave my station i have to have someone literally listen to my radio. So me consuming any more water during that time, just not going to happen LOL its embarrassing you know. But thanks for that tip!

@ pixiechick8321 I normally do cook..but these last couple days i have been lazy. Im still learning what is good and lean for me to eat. I take so many protein shakes bc i honestly dont know how to get 120 grams of protein in other than to take those shakes. I really am a picky eater, and i have changed some ways. But i really dont like meat.
  • truchamp06
    Options
    ALSO, if you eat all the calories you burn through working out then i dont get the purpose of working out?
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    ALSO, if you eat all the calories you burn through working out then i dont get the purpose of working out?

the deficit you need to lose weight is already factored in in the base calories allocated to you by mfp.
    that is why you NEED to eat back most of the exercise calories otherwise you will always be way under in the amount of calories you need to stay healthy and have your body functioning well. *S*

it is confusing at first as that is not the way most diet plans work things.
    most other plans give you a set number of calories and then REQUIRE that you work out/exercise in order to get the full deficit you need to lose weight. not so with mfp *S*
    trust me.. it works here hun *S* i am living proof.

as to why you still want to work out though, you want to develop healthy, toned muscles, and lower your resting heart rate etc etc so your body becomes fit and your metabolism works efficiently.

here's some REALLY helpful info in these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding
  • truchamp06
    Options
    Thanks Shelly for the tips!
  • tkdgirl23
    tkdgirl23 Posts: 36
    Options
    You sound a lot like me when I first started...

I thought I was eating healthy and I was , I was just either eating too much of a good thing or not the right foods for my meals. I was also not fulfilling my daily calorie goals. I thought eating less calories, I lose more weight.. How wrong I was .. you eat less.. in calories.. your body goes into starvation mode and you gain weight as well as stay hungry.

I know your drinking water.. , I had to re-evaluate what I was eating. I was eating almonds and they are healthy , it just seemed they are not fulfilling my tummy..it took so long for me to get acclimated to eating less but healthy. You have to be careful with almonds because , though they are good for you they are not filling , so one tends to eat more of them, you can actually gain weight from over eating almonds. So now I eat small salads.. also there are these cute little lunch boxes that have the ice tray in them. They keep your salads and fruits cold. So you can snack on your favorite fruits and salads and they taste fresh. I would not suggest hunger pills. Not healthy for your kidneys.

Working out is like detoxifying your body. Your providing your body with oxygen and working building stronger and leaner muscles. Water is like an enzyme and help start the burning process, helps wash out all the toxins in the body, give your body a healthy glow, it also feeds your muscles. Good luck.. I know its hard..but don't give up.. I was once 302 lbs. lost over 100 lbs , but when my father passed away.. I fell into a depression and just let things be and ate.. whatever and gain lots of weight back.. Now I'm at 222 lbs and starting over. Today is my first day at myfitnesspal.

So don't give up.. good luck to you.

:wink:
  • SylviaJava
    Options
    I take so many protein shakes bc i honestly dont know how to get 120 grams of protein in other than to take those shakes. I really am a picky eater, and i have changed some ways. But i really dont like meat.

Have you tried tofu in your shakes? When I make myself a shake, I usually put in a block of dessert soft tofu in there, sometimes even a banana, and that fills me up for a good couple of hours; it even works as a whole meal.

Also, if you dont like meat, some other types of tofu can be cooked or used in recipes, and you can also try some dishes with chick peas in them, which can substitute meat nicely.

Here's my suggestion for a filling snack : have an apple (or another fruit) with a bit of cheese (I like mozzarella, personnally). Fills you up for a good couple of hours as well...

I really hope you figure out a way to not feel so hungry anymore!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem and I am still working with foods to figure out what fills me up the longest. I drink more than enough water. I have found that fiber bars help. I usually eat a kellogs fiber bar alittle while after lunch and that actually keeps my stomach from growling until I come home and cook dinner. They are pretty low in calories and don't taste bad either
  • truchamp06
    Options
    Everyone is right. I am going to strive for 1 protein shake a day. Also, trade healthy choice dinners for poss grilled chicken salad. Dinner? Who knows. I pretty much have oatmeal for brkfast everyday with strawberries, it truly fills me up and i dont get hungry until like 2pm. I eat breakfast at 10a. So yea, and i must intake more calories. I dont know what I was thinking, Because ive been eating about 1200-1500 cals but burning off 700-900 and half the exercises i do i dont log, just the stuff that my machine tells me bc i know that is accurate, but the walking and dancing cardio i rarely log. So I think im literally hungry one bc i burn most my cals, and two because i dont eat enough. In less than 2 wks ive lost 13 pounds. VERY exciting, however not good i dont think?
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Look at your sugar and artificial sweetener intake. Sugar can cause your insulin to spike and make you hungry. Studies have been done with artificial sweeteners and all the studies I have read have the same results; The rats that ate the artificial stuff ate more.