Thyroid

Options
Wondering if anyone else hear thyroid issues? Mine is underactive and I'm on medicine. I have been working out since last Tuesday. Kinda feeling discouraged about my weight...

Replies

• finalnail713
    finalnail713 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid issues and I have not gotten on medication yet and I NEED to. Have they helped you at all? I started gaining weight over a few years back after I realized i had a problem with my thyroid. I need medication and to stay healthy. You will get there. Hang in there!! We can be there for each other.
  • Danity56
    Danity56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a thyroid problem too dude to another health issue and it's been hard for me as well to loss weight. It's taken me some time to take off weight.
  • kristinrenee6712
    kristinrenee6712 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It just sucks! It feels like a set back for sure! But I'm going to keep working out everyday and hope for the best
  • Danity56
    Danity56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's all you can do.
  • Ammi13
    Ammi13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have Thyroid, kidney and POS issues that make dropping weight difficult so can understand the struggle. I know it's really difficult to stay positive and not get discouraged but you can do it. Take a few minutes every day to relax and breathe and focus your mind on good thoughts. It will help you get through the rough stages of feeling like you're not going anywhere. Persistence does pay off, even if it takes longer than we like.
  • kristinrenee6712
    Options
    Wow that's tough! I just figure there is always going to be some set back in this life! I've just got to roll with the punches! Thank you ladies for making me feel better about all of this!
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Under active thyroid here along with IBS, but they can't catch it at a low enough point for me to get back on medicine. It makes losing weight tough but not impossible. I think it helps to focus not on losing weight but on being healthier (which I know is a fairly intangible thing!). I'm doing Keto which is supposed to be helpful for those with thyroid issues and IBS but it's only been 2 months but I am losing weight so far so fingers crossed for sure! Feel free to add me as a friend if you need some encouragement or just to watch someone else in the same boat!
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone else hear thyroid issues? Mine is underactive and I'm on medicine. I have been working out since last Tuesday. Kinda feeling discouraged about my weight...

I also have thyroid issues for which I take medication. I'm also on high blood pressure and cholesterol pills. The way I look at my medication and losing weight is my pills bring everything back to normal. It may be more difficult for me to lose weight but it also may not. I just don't think about the issues I have and keep on keepin' on. I have been walking only since Christmas and have lost 35 pounds since November (I gained one back when I had to slow down on my daily steps just this last weekend). I am also 62 years old which is another hurdle to losing weight but not letting that stop me either.

This is not just a weight loss issue for me. It is a lifestyle change and that will take time and effort, with a lot of perseverance along the way. I don't let my medical issues become roadblocks for me. I take them as a challenge to overcome and am determined to do just that.

I have no doubt that if you keep working out and watching your calories, you will see results and be happy with them...small or large! Good for you for opting to start working out and sticking with it! Good luck!
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    Oh, and one more thing regarding thyroid medication...since I started taking it my hair is thicker, my nails are stronger, my eyelashes are coming back in and I have much more energy. So, even tho' my thyroid is bad, there are so many benefits to staying on the medication! ;)
  • TheClassyKat
    TheClassyKat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a thyroid cancer survivor! I no longer have a thyroid and take a 400 dose of levothyroxine a day. I just started a new desk job so I'm sitting down much more than at my last job (gas station) so they may lower my dosage, but in the past few weeks I've noticed I'm starting to get chubby again and my pants aren't fitting as well. I don't have anybody in the real world who uses MFP, so I'm looking for friends on here to provide mutual support and encouragement! :)
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    I'm a thyroid cancer survivor! I no longer have a thyroid and take a 400 dose of levothyroxine a day. I just started a new desk job so I'm sitting down much more than at my last job (gas station) so they may lower my dosage, but in the past few weeks I've noticed I'm starting to get chubby again and my pants aren't fitting as well. I don't have anybody in the real world who uses MFP, so I'm looking for friends on here to provide mutual support and encouragement! :)

I am also on Levothroxin but only take 75mg a day.
  • kristinrenee6712
    Options
    I'm on levonthroxin as well. It's definitely helped with my mood swings and craziness and I can tell I'm not as hungry as I used to be. I would eat senselessly! Now it's not so bad. I'm very sorry you experienced thyroid cancer @theclass
  • kristinrenee6712
    Options
  • kristinrenee6712
    Options
    @Wysewoman53 that's an awesome weight loss journey! Looks like I need to walk every day! We run a mile every Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday but I'm thinking I need to get more distance in... All I know is it's going to take time. I've got to be more patient I guess!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid issues and I have not gotten on medication yet and I NEED to. Have they helped you at all? I started gaining weight over a few years back after I realized i had a problem with my thyroid. I need medication and to stay healthy. You will get there. Hang in there!! We can be there for each other.

Why aren't you on medication? Thyroid issues aren't something to mess around with. Weight is the least of the issues. While it's a PITA, untreated Hashimoto's (the cause of 90% of hypothyroid) causes heart problems, cancer and a whole host of other life-threatening conditions. Get medicated.

OP -- I have Hashimoto's. Synthroid has helped a lot, as has taking a multivitamin and B vitamins regularly. I didn't need those pre-thyroid problems. Unfortunately, weight management for me continues to be a problem, but it's different for everyone. You've only been at this a week, so don't feel discouraged. Take your meds properly, monitor your condition with your doctor, watch your calories and exercise and hopefully things will come together.

Also, from talking to people who have had this longer than I have, I've learned it can literally take years to find the right dose and routine, so keep at it.
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    Just don't overdo it when first starting out. Patience is definitely the word for every day!
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    @finalnail713 @rml_16 is so right when it comes to thyroid issues! Definitely get in to see your doctor, get the tests needed and start finding what works for you when it comes to your thyroid!
  • kristinrenee6712
    Options
    The medicine has honestly helped me so much! They are all right. You need to see a doctor. I feel so much better and NOT sluggish ever morning I wake up. I seriously feel like a whole new person. I WANT to go out, I want to go exercise. And I used to be exhausted from just work.
  • fatima987
    fatima987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I don't have a thyroid. I just had surgery a few days ago. I was diagnosed with Grave's, but didn't lose any weight and actually gained a few too many. I was highly allergic to the mediation and my condition was not severe at all. However you can not go on living with a thyroid problem untreated. I have decided to slowly lose weight as I am freshly out of the operating room. I will help and guide anyone who has questions or doesn't know how to cope with their weight. I am really good at being disciplined but I also need support. It's not fun being fit and then watching the scale jump as fast as it does.
    My greatest concern is will my efforts go in vain and how soon can I start losing my weight. Yesterday I felt ill after attempting to diet 3 days after surgery. I know I need to recover but I can't keep watching the scale go up.
  • chunkygal2016
    chunkygal2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Newly diagnosed with hypothyroid. Feel free to add me.