Carbs versus Sodium

Options
So is lower carbs or lower sodium in an food item more important? Today I tried the Kelloggs FiberPlus for my after dinner snack. At breakfast I had my normal Fiber One bar. Both are on my food diary...take a peek and let me hear your thoughts.

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Apples and oranges. One's a macronutrient, and one's a micronutrient.
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would rather have something lower in carbs than lower in sodium. I don't really watch my sodium intake that much... But that's just me.
  • ziggy55311
    ziggy55311 Posts: 20
    Options
    You need sodium. You tongue can taste sweet, sour, bitter, and SALTY. There is no reason to have a low sodium diet unless you have a family history of sodium related hypertension.
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For me its Carbs. However I think it really depends on your body type and what works for you. I was sticking to a lower sodium and low calories diet but wasn't losing. Turns out I have some insulin issues and my dietician reccomended to pay more attention to the carbs. After that I started to lose. What I may do for carbs may seem extreme. I stay under 100..but i have some health issues.

I think you just have to pay attention to your body. if you find the extra sodium is effecting you then you know you need to cut it.
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Bump!
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You need sodium. You tongue can taste sweet, sour, bitter, and SALTY. There is no reason to have a low sodium diet unless you have a family history of sodium related hypertension.

The problem is that I am adopted and don't know my family history...other than that my grandfather had 2 heart attacks, my biological mom died from a heart attack, and the grandmother has severe health issues. Thats why I am here...:ohwell:
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options

The problem is that I am adopted and don't know my family history...other than that my grandfather had 2 heart attacks, my biological mom died from a heart attack, and the grandmother has severe health issues. Thats why I am here...:ohwell:

The best thing you could do is go to the doctor and get a CBC (complete blood count) to see if you have any underlying health issues that can be found in your blood. They will also check heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol and the important stuff. If you're in the clear for all this, the sodium intake in your diet shouldn't be a major issue at all.
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options

The best thing you could do is go to the doctor and get a CBC (complete blood count) to see if you have any underlying health issues that can be found in your blood. They will also check heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol and the important stuff. If you're in the clear for all this, the sodium intake in your diet shouldn't be a major issue at all.

Thank you so much! I think that is a great plan for me! I had not even though about that aspect!!! Thank you again!!!