If I burn the calories first

Options
So it's two for Tuesday and the missus never craves my favourite...pizza!

But today...she does!

So my preferred piza is a whopping 526 calories. This morning I was my lowest weight in years.

Guys and gals...If I go to the gym again today (went this morning) and burn 526 calories (and not 1 more)...come home and devour that gorgeous italian monster...will I be dissappointed when I step on the scales tomorrow or will I have earned it?

It'll put me over on all my macro's but I don't usually eat my exercise calories anyways.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you not have 526 calories available for dinner? If not, is it because your calorie goal is too low in general or because you already ate bigger meals today? IMO your daily calorie goal should easily allow for a 526 pizza meal.

As far as the scales, you may or may not see an increase tomorrow. If the pizza leads you to have more sodium and/or carbs today than usual you may see some water retention.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    526 for your pizza? Wow, after I've eaten my 'share' of my favourite pizza I can rack up nearly 2000 cals...

It depends on the affect of pizza on you - when I eat pizza I always bloat and hold lots of water. You might not, depending on how it's made/how much you eat, etc.

But don't judge the scale on a day-by-day basis as your weight will rise and drop at several points in the day. Take your good measure, eat your pizza, burn the calories and stay on track - and weigh in next week.

Bon appetit!
  • SamVanLeer
    SamVanLeer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Do you not have 526 calories available for dinner? If not, is it because your calorie goal is too low in general or because you already ate bigger meals today? IMO your daily calorie goal should easily allow for a 526 pizza meal.

As far as the scales, you may or may not see an increase tomorrow. If the pizza leads you to have more sodium and/or carbs today than usual you may see some water retention.

I have just under 500 as I'm being fairly aggressive with my deficit but eating lots of protein throughout the day for muscle growth. Had two chicken breasts for lunch today with almond butter (delicious but has dented my fat allowance)

My calculations on IIFYM say I'm allowed around 1,700 calories a day and I've split that out into Macros and often don't hit my carbs as I don't feel I need them for the energy.

I guess what I'm asking you have answered in that water retention etc. will have an effect but if I burn it...I can eat it.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    2nd the 'will retain water weight'.

Start getting used to it, or you'll be crushed every time you have a restaurant meal or cook with soy sauce or other high sodium items.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    So you've eaten your days worth of calories and you want to burn off 526 calories of exercise before eating 526 worth of calories?

Really it should work out fine. I wouldn't get on the scale tomorrow because like the above poster says..... sodium and water retention! Plus it will still be food weight digesting in your system.

In reality though.... accurately calculating calorie burn during exercise is difficult. And most methods overestimate calorie burn.

What I will say though is fitting in some more exercise will definitely go some way to working off the effects of the pizza. Or maybe eating later in the day will mean you aren't as hungry at breakfast tomorrow so you can cut breakfast by a couple of hundred calories?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You're not growing muscle in an aggressive deficit, in fact you're probably losing a whole bunch along with some fat.

I'm an average female and can easily fit a 500-600 dinner into my day, a lot more on a workout day.
  • SamVanLeer
    Options
    LemonSocks wrote: »
    526 for your pizza? Wow, after I've eaten my 'share' of my favourite pizza I can rack up nearly 2000 cals...

It depends on the affect of pizza on you - when I eat pizza I always bloat and hold lots of water. You might not, depending on how it's made/how much you eat, etc.

But don't judge the scale on a day-by-day basis as your weight will rise and drop at several points in the day. Take your good measure, eat your pizza, burn the calories and stay on track - and weigh in next week.

Bon appetit!

Apologies,

It is over 1000kcal but after eating it I would be 526 over my calorie goal.

I think I may eat half and save half for breakfast...SOLVED!

So you've eaten your days worth of calories and you want to burn off 526 calories of exercise before eating 526 worth of calories?

Really it should work out fine. I wouldn't get on the scale tomorrow because like the above poster says..... sodium and water retention! Plus it will still be food weight digesting in your system.

In reality though.... accurately calculating calorie burn during exercise is difficult. And most methods overestimate calorie burn.

What I will say though is fitting in some more exercise will definitely go some way to working off the effects of the pizza. Or maybe eating later in the day will mean you aren't as hungry at breakfast tomorrow so you can cut breakfast by a couple of hundred calories?

Good stuff...Thanks for the help! Going to take the remainder off of tomorrow's calories and eat what I can today. Thinking Pizza for breakfast.

It's a meaty one so..protein :D

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    SamVanLeer wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

I have just under 500 as I'm being fairly aggressive with my deficit but eating lots of protein throughout the day for muscle growth. Had two chicken breasts for lunch today with almond butter (delicious but has dented my fat allowance)

My calculations on IIFYM say I'm allowed around 1,700 calories a day and I've split that out into Macros and often don't hit my carbs as I don't feel I need them for the energy.

I guess what I'm asking you have answered in that water retention etc. will have an effect but if I burn it...I can eat it.

Yeah, I would say you're fine. If you have just under 500 calories, you're still going to be eating in a deficit. Even if you do see a scale increase, you will know it is not fat gain.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Not sure if that works for everyone but I did that last Sunday. I ate a medium sized breakfast and then did a long bike ride where I burned 1113 calories. Then after my ride I had a burger and fries that was 1300 calories. I was still under my daily calories and it didn't affect my weigh-in on Monday. My daily calories is 1300:) I weigh on Mondays and Thursdays so if it affected my weight I'm not looking until Thursday... ;)
  • SamVanLeer
    Options
    Thanks everyone...love this community...I am MFP addicted now!