Motivating yourself to exercise?

Options
How do you all get the motivation to get off your butt and exercise? I would love some tips or suggestions. thanks :)

Replies

• yankeefamily05
    Options
    Take pictures every month! That is enough motivation right there!!!!

Besides that, I always feel amazing after a good sweat session!
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Think about what you want, tell yourself you're a machine, go get it.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I enjoy JM 30 day shred. It is only 25 minutes, so its usually not too hard to convince myself to work out for just 25 minutes. However, usually I find that once I get up and movin' I typically dont mind working out for longer, so I normally do the elliptical for around 15-20 minutes after that.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I look at bikini's on PINK or VS websites.
    That gets me on the elliptical.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    doing it initially is hard especially if out of shape. I hated it at first but kept at it because everyone says do it for 30 days and it becomes a habit I think. I did it for 30 days and its true....I am addicted. I workout 5-6 times a week and have done so for almost 2.5 years now. Also after the first 30 days the results alone kept me motivated and the exercise helps to combat stress. The more you do it the more you will love it!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Always ran out of motivation when it was just for myself. My daughter had a diabetes scare that motivated her to get fit, and I changed eating habits and work out with her to keep her going. So I guess my motivation is in being someone else's motivation! Whatever works!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I enjoy JM 30 day shred. It is only 25 minutes, so its usually not too hard to convince myself to work out for just 25 minutes. However, usually I find that once I get up and movin' I typically dont mind working out for longer, so I normally do the elliptical for around 15-20 minutes after that.

Yep. This exactly.
  • arotella
    arotella Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Make it part of your daily routine! I go straight to the gym after work. Try to find an activity or class you enjoy doing... then it doesn't feel like such a chore! I actually look forward going to my Zumba classes! Also, once you start seeing results from exercising it's going to make you want to keep doing it!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Find one of the fitness challenges her on MFP. Honestly, if I wasn't doing the 100 mile challenge here, I would be slacking off.
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I tell myself it's now or never. Nothing will change if i don't get moving.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love the way I feel after I exercise! I feel like I have accomplised a lot, and actually have an increase in energy! I started out with 20 -30 minutes of walking a few times a week, and doing zumba - low impact. Now I walk 3 -4 miles in an hour and my zumba is high impact. I feel so much better after I exercise, and it takes my mind off eating if I am bored (That's when I tend to over eat). Start slow and work your way up - don't try to do too much at once and you will feel more motivated each time.
  • blockhead922
    Options
    I schedule in my exercises the night before so I make sure I have a time frame for it
  • hna84
    hna84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just remember how bad I feel about myself when I don't go and how it kind of sets the "tone" for my whole day-good or bad. If I miss it I don't have as many calories to play with and I lack energy throughout the day. Also, it seems like once I have skipped a day it's harder to go back so I just try and remember how happy I will be once I'm done for the day.

I put on my headphones and make sure I have some really upbeat music to run to or whatever. If you have a TV you can just distract yourself from the machine with whatever's on or better yet go outside and appreciate the fresh air and your surroundings.

Get yourself into a routine that you know is realistic for your week. If your not a morning person just do it at night. Or any time of day as long as you get it in. It gets easier to do because you start feeling so good about yourself and you can see the physical changes.

You can also give yourself rewards for going to keep you motivated! Good luck!
  • ccbloom1
    ccbloom1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just do it. Plain and simple. I get up first thing and don't even think about it.
  • Mkin
    Mkin Posts: 43
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing. I used to hate exercising until I joined a boxing gym and do boxing fitness classes, it's so much fun and such a good workout. I tend to miss it when I can't go. Just experiment until you find something you enjoy
    Hope this helps
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i have a gym membership, and this gym has child care while you work out. I get some peace and quiet and i get out of the house. Thats my motivation.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My motivation is the money I am spending, I barely have it and signed a year contract, if I do not go I may as well put $70 in the shredder every month. This addiction everyone talks about I cannot find 5 months in, I still hate it but I am monetarily commited so there you go. Not inspirational but it works for me.
  • justice1970
    Options
    honey,get some music!!! listen to your favorite tunes and you will want to move!!...I downloaded pandora on my BBerry and I listen to missy elliott and blackeyes peas!!...awesome exercise music!!!! good luck! hope it helps!!
  • cabassi
    cabassi Posts: 9
    Options
    All great answers.

One thing that motivates me is I know I get to eat more on days when I exercise. I stick strictly to the amount of calories MFP says I'm allowed to eat, so when I exercise, I'm rewarded with a treat.

To make exercise enjoyable, I run around a beautiful lake near my house, or I stick my iPad on my elliptical machine and watch TV shows or other videos.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't wait to be motivated or you'll never do it.
    Plan it into your schedule and get your workout gear on and just go! Like you would for a dentist appointment or pap smear - we don't want to do that either but we know we need to, so we do it.