Desperately...I want...a...bigger butt!!!

Options
What are the best exercises to enlarge the booty?? I do my squats everyday and have seen some results but more in my thighs than my bum. Any suggestions I would appreciate! :)

Replies

• majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    leg rises.. get on all fours and lift those back legs one at a time! lol

there are so many different squats you can do. which ones are you doing? Do a range of them.

How many are you doing a day?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Are you doing squats with weights?

Hip thrusts are a great glute exercise.

Also check out Bret Contreras' program strong curves.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I second Strong Curves.
    However if you really want to see an increase in size you will have to eat at least at maintenance or surplus for best results
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Strong Curves is fantastic.

You'll see good exercises for your derrière in there. They include barbell hip thrust / glute bridges, good mornings/back extension/RDL/SLDL, and squats.

You also have to make a muscle-mind connection. When doing glute exercises, you need to focus on USING your butt and not primarily your hamstrings/thighs... That means clench them, use them to push the bar away, etc. Or else you risk all your gains going to your leg and not enough to your glutes.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Do more sets, and heaver weight sets of squats & Lunges
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Lunges weighted or just body weight lunges will help develop your tush! There are some good variations of lunges like lateral lunges, reverse lunges, cross over lunges.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    So I've had several female friends who are in fantastic shape all over, with the exception of their glutes. Try as they might, even with several key movements to stimulate glutes, their glutes just didn't hypertrophy the same. Some men have issues with body parts too. Some can't get to chest to grow, some arms, some shoulders despite great training.
    At that point, it comes down to genetics. And unfortunately you can't beat out your genetics.
    Now that's not to say that you don't focus on exercises like glute bridges, stiff legged deadlifts, feet high on platform leg press, or ATG squats, but if you're not seeing marked improvement doing these on a continual basis along with a calorie surplus, then it may not be in the cards for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • payoung24
    payoung24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try this workout a few times a week- its short but really effective. It has 10 squat variations and really targets all parts of your butt/thigh area. Much more effective than just doing regular squats. When these are easy, add weights. Also check out other Fitness Blender exercises- they have some really great butt workouts!

https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/the-most-effective-squat-challenge-100-rep-fitness-blender-squat-challenge
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options

^What she said. I found that doing squats with weights really added to my result and of course eating, or as my boyfriend calls it, "feed the booty."
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I second Strong Curves.
    However if you really want to see an increase in size you will have to eat at least at maintenance or surplus for best results

Yep yep yep.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'll ask, like a lot of the rest of them, what kind of squats are you doing?

I had a pancake *kitten* and now I have a squat booty. The difference? Lots of heavy volume work with barbell squats and deadlifts (and variations thereof) plus lunges, step-ups, hip thrusts in moderation... oh, and lots of food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

This is exactly what I was going to say. Also, what types of squats.
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Could someone lead me to or point me at a blog or site that actually explains why eating at surplus is necessary to build muscle? Not that I don't believe, I would just like to understand the "Mechanics" of it so to speak. I am currently eating at a deficit because my stomach sticks out further than my Butt!! But when I get that taken care of I'd like to reverse that situation! LOL! :wink:
  • DrStTee
    DrStTee Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Could someone lead me to or point me at a blog or site that actually explains why eating at surplus is necessary to build muscle? Not that I don't believe, I would just like to understand the "Mechanics" of it so to speak. I am currently eating at a deficit because my stomach sticks out further than my Butt!! But when I get that taken care of I'd like to reverse that situation! LOL! :wink:

Check out RP Strength for your answer to surplus vs. deficit. They set up the entire program for you. It's a hugely effective tool and helped me a lot. http://renaissanceperiodization.com/

The short answer: You have to feed muscle to build muscle. Eating at a deficit causes your body to catabolise your own muscle tissue for fuel. This serves two purposes: 1) The consumed muscle provides short term fuel as it breaks down into proteins. 2) It slows down the rate at which your body burns calories (to allow your fat stores to last longer) during starvation, because you now have less muscle mass. Basically it's your body's self-defense mechanism against starvation. The problem is, with less muscle, you burn less calories, so you are not as efficient at burning off the food you eat.

Butt and Upper Legs are the largest muscles in your body, start focusing on them, and you will burn more at rest & while working out...but they will need lot's of protein to grow.

• KingsGirl4
    KingsGirl4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    First off I think we are all forgetting that we can't spot loss, so I would remain at your deficit to lose fat all over.

I've been eating at a deficit and doing lots of squats, leg press, StairMaster, and cable workouts for my glutes and the results have been great. Make sure you workout all 3 areas of your glutes (minimus, maximus and medius) to see the results you're looking for.
  • angella_jacobs93
    angella_jacobs93 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do 75 squats a day with a 10 lb weight. I have my feet shoulder width apart. Thank you for all your suggestions I will check out the strong curves program for sure!
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You a fan of Sir Mix-a-Lot?
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are have the weight firmly in your heels and go all the way down, full range of motion when you squat. I would up the weight on your squats and do less reps, higher weight.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Eating at surplus isn't necessary. What you do need is stimulus, surplus energy and protein to build muscles. It is possible to gain some muscle while at a deficit, it just is a limited process and less effective than eating at a (small) surplus.

It is generally easier to have an energy surplus while eating at a surplus, although some energy can come from stored fat, especially in the obese.

This explains a little of the muscle at deficit research:

http://muscleevo.net/calorie-deficit/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Just an observation: "booty gainz" seems to be the new thigh gap. Next year - "Dem delts tho"?