Anyone fall in love with this stuff so much that you became a personal trainer?

Options
I just started thinking about it today. I'm not considering it as a full-on career, at least at this point. I'm just starting to think about getting certified and trying it as something supplemental. I know this isn't something to do on a whim, and I intend to look into it more carefully. I'm just curious if any of y'all have experience in this area. Thanks!

Replies

• gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya there. Definitely thought about it but never took the plunge.....yet
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yep. There are lots of terrible trainers out there and it becomes more apparent as you get experience.
  • Carla1962Shaw2015
    Carla1962Shaw2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yep, same here. I would love to see more women lifting with confidence & have been kicking around the idea.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about it. As a supplement to the freelance business writing I do. Not sure where to go to get training or how ling it takes to get certified, etc.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Interesting article that confirmed a few of my suspicions about the personal training profession.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_grind/2016/01/personal_trainers_are_often_underpaid_undertrained_and_overworked_and_you.single.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I did. As a competitor first, I went back to school to learn physiology and kinesiology as well a classes in nutrition to become a PT part time (while still having a full time job). When my DD was born, I quit my full time job and kept doing part time PT. I still do that today (about 4-5 hours a day and weekends off) and make about $1500 a month doing it. I don't think I'd ever do it full time because I don't want to live in the gym 8 or more hours a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to be a trainer for a very long time. Kept making excuses not to. Finally a couple years ago I got certified and train in addition to my full time job. Ideally I'd love to semi-retire and only train people, but that's a ways off
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Im considering it, though I'm looking more towards the online aspect of it than actually in gym.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for over 40 years. I'm thinking about either doing personal training, a physical therapy assistant or massage therapist (or some combination) as a second career in a few years after I finish with corporate finance.

I've had some orthopedic issues I've had to work through, so I would be interested in/concentrate on improving people's movement patterns, functional strength, etc.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think everyone who gets into this business started with a personal passion for both fitness/health and working with people. I didn't start out wanting to be a trainer (avoided it for almost 30 years), but I went into exercise physiology because of my interest/experience in both exercise and teaching. In my case, I started exercising seriously in the first "running boom" in the early-mid 1970s. Got tired of where my life was going in my late 20s and went back to school to get my masters degree in clinical exercise physiology. Never really wanted to train, but at my current job they forced us to start doing it 2-3 years ago. It's worked out fine and I enjoy it.

While I think it's a natural progression to go from 'loving exercise" to wanting to work with people as a trainer, I also am very old school in that I think the preparation requires a structured course of study, in addition to practical experience beyond ones personal workouts. To me, "certification" should be the final step in the process, not the first step. While not everyone needs an exercise science degree, I can't imagine anyone--even with years of workout experience--being able to go through the necessary steps to become a valid professional trainer in less than a year of study and internship experience.
  • TamzFit777
    TamzFit777 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes, me.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    No because I don't want to go back to school and take AP and kinesiology.
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about it for a while just didn't think I had time for it
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am there with you and have taken a local fitness cert course. Taking another resistance theory cert. class this wknd.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it, but at this point it isn't the right decision. I'm already pretty busy in my current career and at this point I would be foolish to change career paths. I already feel that I have limited time to spend with my two growing boys as it is, so a second "job"...as much fun as I think it would be would not ultimately benefit my family and would interfere with our quality time.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    me. :)

although to be fair i wanted to be a gymnastics coach when i was younger since i competed for 8 years as a gymnast. I just fell in love again as an adult after joining mfp and losing some weight.

p.s. i don't have a degree, but i do my best to keep my approach sensible and in accordance with what science currently says. i'm debating on going to school to be an RD as a future career simply for the prestige and payscale. :P
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I think everyone who gets into this business started with a personal passion for both fitness/health and working with people. I didn't start out wanting to be a trainer (avoided it for almost 30 years), but I went into exercise physiology because of my interest/experience in both exercise and teaching. In my case, I started exercising seriously in the first "running boom" in the early-mid 1970s. Got tired of where my life was going in my late 20s and went back to school to get my masters degree in clinical exercise physiology. Never really wanted to train, but at my current job they forced us to start doing it 2-3 years ago. It's worked out fine and I enjoy it.

While I think it's a natural progression to go from 'loving exercise" to wanting to work with people as a trainer, I also am very old school in that I think the preparation requires a structured course of study, in addition to practical experience beyond ones personal workouts. To me, "certification" should be the final step in the process, not the first step. While not everyone needs an exercise science degree, I can't imagine anyone--even with years of workout experience--being able to go through the necessary steps to become a valid professional trainer in less than a year of study and internship experience.
    Agreed. I eyeroll many times when I see anyone under 21 with a PT certification because the chances of them actually understanding physiology, kinesiology, etc. without actually studying it for a good period of time, is pretty rare. Many of the PT's I've worked with had no formal training (especially at places like 24 hour Fitness, Bally's, and Equinox) and spewed alot of broscience due to lack of actual knowledge. I really wish that organizations like ACE, AFAA, NASM, etc. required at least a BS in some exercise related course in order to take the certification.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I attended an informational session once about getting PT certification. It was pretty clear that the people who were teaching the certification didn't know what they were talking about, so I didn't pursue it.

I wanted an education, not just a certificate.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Agreed. I eyeroll many times when I see anyone under 21 with a PT certification because the chances of them actually understanding physiology, kinesiology, etc. without actually studying it for a good period of time, is pretty rare. Many of the PT's I've worked with had no formal training (especially at places like 24 hour Fitness, Bally's, and Equinox) and spewed alot of broscience due to lack of actual knowledge. I really wish that organizations like ACE, AFAA, NASM, etc. required at least a BS in some exercise related course in order to take the certification.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm trying to not come off like a total snob on this subject (although I kind of am one) because I understand that not everyone has the ability to earn an exercise science degree and that I believe there are a couple of fairly decent online courses available (I don't know them offhand, but I have seen a couple). I do think that you need a combination of core academic preparation and practical experience to be a real professional. I also think you need to know your scope of practice. While I could easily pass a CSCS certification from the NSCA, I would never take the test at this time because I have little experience training athletes and I think that certifications have to stand for something.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Do any certifications require a BS in an exercise related field? I was thinking CSCS through the NSCA did, but it looks like you just have to have a bachelors in any field.

The people I know with CSCS do have exercise related degrees and are pretty sharp. I would guess anyone that passes the test without an exercise science degree did some serious prep work.