Weight Loss and Hunger

Options
For those of you who have lost a lot of weight- do you still struggle with hunger? I drink 64 ounces of water daily sometimes more. I'm on 2000 calories a day. Just curious if hunger will always be an issue. Thanks.

Replies

• shannonmelek
    shannonmelek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you looking to lose? But o try not to think about food much. I plan my meals and stick to them, but if I have a craving for something fatty, I eat a avacado, drink some water and my brain will think it just had a burger example. Our bodies will crave what it needs, but it's our choices to give it the healthy needs. Chocolate I eat a protein bar, and it gets me full the chalkyness will make me eat less then what I originally wanted and I got my chocolate craving out of the way. Want soda? Get mineral water add cranberry juice. These are the small strides I do.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    It was hard the first couple of weeks as I got used to eating much less. Once I adjusted my fiber and protein up, for a long time (over a year) I had no issues. However now I'm nearing my goal weight and it is becoming a problem again (because I'm down to 1500 now + exercise calories and very active but eat back about 50%). I'm not sure if I'm so hungry because the 1 lb/week loss is becoming too much, or because I've been sick for 4 weeks.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had quite a hungry day, so I ate over my goal. But I'll be trying to balance yesterday's calories throughout this whole week as I prefer to look at the weekly calories and deficit. (I tend to lose a little bit of weight at around 1600-1800 net calories)

Once you have been dieting for longer, your body gets used to the new "normal" amounts of food. When I began using MFP, I could easily eat 2500-3500 calories every day and still be hungry. Now I'm usually satisfied with 1800 or even less.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    2000 a day and your hungry ?
    Are you eating healthy filling foods ?
  • shannonmelek
    shannonmelek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree 2000 is a lot of calories
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating? Some foods are better than others at helping keeping you fuller longer. I try to stay between 1200-1600 calories depending on my activity, and I'm rarely hungry unless its approaching meal time.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Are you eating foods that are calorie dense? I eat 1200 or under every day and I'm pretty satisfied all day, almost too full sometimes to be honest.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I normally do not get hungrier than "it's time for dinner" kind of hunger. You may need to evaluate what you are eating. It is somewhat individual but I find that I do better eating on the higher end for protein and fat and moderate for carbs (not low carb but I eat around 100-150 grams each day.)
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal to be hungry when you're making a lifestyle change like cutting calories. When I first started cutting my calories I had a hard time with hunger pains. My body was used to sending out hunger signals and being rewarded with food at any time. I agree with most people, you want to find protein and fiber rich foods to help slow a sugar spike and subsequent crash..
    I managed to lose about 34 pounds thru diet alone and now I'm eating between 1300-1500 calories per day and I do not get the hunger pains I did when I first started out. In the beginning I was eating MORE calories and still getting "hungry."
    Drinking water is key - if you find yourself getting hungry and you ate recently then try going for a 5 minute walk, drinking water with lemon squeeze in it, eating a sugar free peppermint (the minty freshness can sometimes curb an appetite) and if the feeling passes within 15 minutes then it may have been boredom and not true hunger.
    I would advocate that if the feeling persists for longer than 30 minutes you'll want to have some pre-packed healthy snacks to keep the satiety (I have little jerky sticks, pre-packaged 100 calorie roasted almonds, a banana, or a bag of grapes in my fridge at work - any one of those will hold me over until a meal)
    Best of luck!
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry!
  • Deckhand562
    Deckhand562 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have lost a lot of weight- do you still struggle with hunger? I drink 64 ounces of water daily sometimes more. I'm on 2000 calories a day. Just curious if hunger will always be an issue. Thanks.
    When you have a sudden craving for something specific, it's emotional and you will almost always choose the unhealthy option. When you feel hungry, anything will calm the beast. If your 64 ounces only consist of water, mix it up with some lemonade, caffeine free green tea, decaf hot tea, soy/almond milk. Yes, the water can help you feel fuller, sometimes, but substance will help you actually be fuller and stave hunger cravings.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've lost close to 100 lbs. I'm still losing about half a pound a week at 1400-ish calories a day. If I'm hungry, I eat something, but it's vegetables or protein, as opposed to something less filling. I aim for 40% protein 30% carb 30% fat in a given day, but my weekends tend to be carb-heavy.
  • jamierosenblum
    jamierosenblum Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    One great suggestion if I'm feeling hungry is to snack on plain lettuce. If it's really hunger, I will want lettuce. If its not really hunger and just a craving for something in particular, then I won't eat. Find a lettuce you like and keep it around ready to eat. I will grab the bag and even if I eat the whole bag, I just ate 40 calories. I did find that as I lost the weight if I make sure to eat at least 40 g of fiber/ day and keep my carbs under 40% of my calories then I can usually be satisfied on 1200 calories/day. I find that to be full on fewer calories I need to fill my plate with at least 50% vegetables. Often it's 75-80% vegetables. If I get my calories from pizza or refined carbs, I could easily eat a days worth of calories in a single meal! If it helps for reference I've lost 34 lbs. but still have more to go.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you eating foods that are calorie dense? I eat 1200 or under every day and I'm pretty satisfied all day, almost too full sometimes to be honest.

Calorie dense foods are often packed with nutrition. Your body needs protein and dietary fats.

The high volume, low calorie (often low nutrient) diet of green veggies is not filling for everyone. A plate of lettuce does nothing to support existing lean muscle mass. 1200 is a DEFAULT minimum, it's more appropriate for seniors and very petite ladies.

OP - experiment with protein, fat and yes, fiber. But fiber isn't a slam dunk either.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'd say for a basic answer is to try and eat more fat and protein. Olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, etc. will help.

My carbs are around 100-120 grams a day and I'm eating 1500 or so calories a day and am full. I have 100 pounds to lose and am not active due to injuries and am still able to lose while not feeling like I'm starving.

If you haven't yet, try getting the help of a dietitian to adjust your actual daily needs will probably get rid of the hunger.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you are suggesting you have lost a considerable amount of weight and are having this problem or are just starting out and wondering if you will always be hungry? If you are just starting out, there will definitely be an adjustment period, which is why it can be advantageous not to choose the most aggressive weight loss goal right off the bat. Leave yourself room to adjust downward later. And yes, your body will adjust in time. The suggestions you've received about protein and fiber are key- we want to make our choices count, and not leave us hungry an hour later. But if you're saying you've already lost a considerable amount of weight and are still hungry @ 2000 calories, that would be troubling. 2000 is over maintenance for many people. Again, food choices may be the issue. We don't want to try to overhaul our entire diet overnight, but we do want to make choices that will keep us satisfied.
  • HG93022
    HG93022 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have learned that fruit or vegetables are lower calorie per serving and satiety lasts longer. If I eat primarily carbs at a sitting, then I will be hungry sooner. I find that splitting my days calories into 5-6 "meals" really helps me.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I should have added, in almost a year on MFP, having started at 240 and lost about 43 lbs varying between 1700-1400 calories, hunger has rarely been an issue except for occasionally late in the evening (which I usually ignore & go to bed), before meals (normal), and some hormonal days (also normal). I've really come to believe it's not a process that requires hunger & deprivation, and thus has been a good part of my success.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Actual hunger? No...but my diet is pretty rich in whole foods...lots of fiber and lean protein so it's pretty satiating. Do I sometimes want to eat just to eat? Sure...but that's not actual hunger.