Probiotics

Options
I have a hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux not to mention bloating. I am currently going through the process of changing my eating habits and I would like to start taking a Probiotic and not sure which one I should try. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated

Replies

• liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I take 50 billion Renew Life Ultimate Flora. I also (try) and take a prebiotic as well.
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any specific brand or anything. Just keep them in the fridge if it says so on the bottle. If you just want to try, get a small bottle at the grocery store and see how you do. You can find something "fancy" if you feel like you need to. I only ever use what I get at Walmart and they work great.
  • denised0467
    denised0467 Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @pittdan77, Thank you for your input I will check out some of the brand at Walmart
  • denised0467
    Options
    @liftsalltheweights I have never heard of a prebiotic. Thank you for your input as well
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Opinion: Pre or pro do not do anything.
    I take them if I have to take antibiotics or if I drink way too much alcohol for a couple of days.
    If you eat well, good bacteria come naturally.
    I now eat greek yogurt from time to time.
    Will not do anything for your acid reflux.
    Take a daily multivitamin instead.
  • mmiller714
    mmiller714 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I recently started probiotics too. I researched into it a little and found that the total amount in each capsule isn't as important as how many different kinds of probiotics are in the capsule. It was recommended that one try to take a supplement with five or more different types included rather than a large quantity of only one type. I looked on the back of every box at the store and found that Phillips Colon Health had several different kinds of probiotics, including those the article mentioned were most beneficial. And for that reason, I chose to go with that brand. Many of the other brands only contained one kind of probiotic. I found the article by searching on google. I'm not extremely knowledgeable in this area, so I can't judge the accuracy, but it made sense to me. Here is the link to the article.

http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/how-to-choose-the-best-probiotic-supplement/
  • denised0467
    Options
    @mmiller714 Thanks for the info. I too was looking at Philips Colon Health. I will read the link you added.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I take a gummy Probiotic from CVS. I have Gut Flora issues and a dairy sensitivity, so yogurt is out, but taking the probiotic, my "issues" normalize.

Unfortunately, it may not help your acid reflux. Before going Paleo I use to have to take 2 Nexium in the morning and two Pepcid at bedtime. I've since weaned off of them, but it still took a good 30 days for things to heal enough that I no longer needed the daily medication.
  • denised0467
    Options
    @JanetYellen I have started eating Greek yogurt and have been trying to find a good multivitamin.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I take Culturelle. It was recommended for my son when he was a baby, so I thought I would try it for myself. I have IBS, and since I have been taking this, my symptoms have almost completely gone away. I have also been eating better, but the symptoms were gone before I fixed my diet so I attribute it partially to the probiotic.