Experienced lifting ladies?

Options
Hi! Here's my story quick:
I've been fat most of my life. I was thin once before but I got there via starving myself and of course it wasn't sustainable so I ballooned again eventually. Then I got pregnant. I changed my eating habits completely and started working out. My daughter is 8 months old and I have lost 100lbs and am starting to lift weights a little. I am less than 20lbs from my goal weight.

I want to be a strong and fit and healthy role model for my daughter. I am very serious about wanting to pursue more and more weight lifting.

But I have no idea what I am doing! I've got nutrition down great and my brother helps me with weights but I'm starting to think he doesn't even know as much as I thought... And, well, he's a man, and I feel like routines are going to be different between men and women?

What I'm saying is I'm looking for female friends who have experience with lifting and muscle gain, who wouldn't mind questions from a total newbie from time to time, and sharing your routines! Any input is welcome. I'm so excited to be able to focus on strength and fitness soon, so happy the fat is nearly gone, but I'm just not sure where to begin when I get really serious. Thank you. :)

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    larlelar wrote: »
    And, well, he's a man, and I feel like routines are going to be different between men and women?

Routines aren't going to be different. Lifting is lifting.

With 20 lbs to lose, I don't know that I would look to gain muscle yet (based on your post). I think you want to work on strength first, instead of mass. You can build strength while still losing weight. Maybe look into programs like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.

Good luck! You sound like mentally you are in a great place to get under the bar! ;)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    12by311 wrote: »
    And, well, he's a man, and I feel like routines are going to be different between men and women?

With 20 lbs to lose, I don't know that I would look to gain muscle yet (based on your post). I think you want to work on strength first, instead of mass. You can build strength while still losing weight. Maybe look into programs like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.

Good luck! You sound like mentally you are in a great place to get under the bar! ;)

Agree with this. Keep concentrating on eating in a deficit. Lifting while in a deficit helps you retain the muscle you already have.

Personally, I started with Stronglifts 5x5. It's a beginner program and you'll get some awesome strength gains in the beginning which is a great motivator.
  • larlelar
    larlelar Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    12by311 wrote: »

Thank you, that's very helpful. I guess I just assumed things would be different, but it's actually very comforting to know they're not! I really like working out with my brother and I'm hoping we'll be able to keep doing a lot of the same things together. :)

I have been working on strength, and making some progress. I definitely wasn't planning on adding mass until I reach my goal weight (well, it's a vague goal between 120 and 130, will just depend on how I look and feel) which will be in 3-4 months. Currently I lift weights M-W-F and I have seen some progress strength-wise, especially in my legs, which makes me feel great.

I will definitely look into the programs you mentioned!
  • larlelar
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Agree with this. Keep concentrating on eating in a deficit. Lifting while in a deficit helps you retain the muscle you already have.

Personally, I started with Stronglifts 5x5. It's a beginner program and you'll get some awesome strength gains in the beginning which is a great motivator.

Thank you very much! I will look into it.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I recommend bodybuilding.com for advice and transformation stories!! I'm on there. @rdbolinger2s!
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Started NROL about 2 months ago. Went thru break-in program and just started 3rd week of hypertrophy (build muscle) program. Doing great. Liked this book better than NROL4W (read both at library before bought) because approached program more from weight side and not so much "accessories" side-was more familiar with NROL methods. Though I had been bowflex exercising for a long time I can see significant (newbie) changes.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Fitness is unisex. I had a female lifting partner for years and we did exactly the same workout and ate the same things (in different amounts) and it worked for both of us in different ways; I bulked up nicely and she slimmed down/toned up nicely.

Feel free to add me and ask away.

Congrats on the weight loss btw, and welcome to the wonderful world of lifting. I've heard 5X5 recommended a lot for beginners, thought I've never done it myself. I do my own PPL (Push/Pull/Legs) routines.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start 'Strong Curves' by Bret Contreras, designed for women. Just got the book yesterday..it looks very promising and have seen several recommendations for it on MFP and elsewhere.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love lifting and although I lost a lot of weight through cardio and diet, lifting really transformed the shape of my body. I started lifting at age 14 with two brothers that were really into it. I have learned a lot along the way and I think it is great that you are adding lifting. I wish you luck and if you have any questions, concerns, recommendations, etc, feel free to ask.

Agree with the others that men and women can have the same routine. However, eventually it is great to figure out what is best for you. I worked shoulders twice a week for a while because I wanted my shoulders to come up, or I had a goal to do pullups, so my back workouts included a lot of pullup negatives, assisted pulls, and pulldowns, etc.

I am willing to help or give you advice on building a good routine, but as you go through it, start thinking about goals-strength, aesthetics, endurance-whatever they be and then you can build the best routine to fit you.

Good luck!
  • algernon4231
    algernon4231 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    OP, another program to look at is StrongCurves. I think StrongLifts is obviously great, but I personally got a bit bored of it so I ended up doing this program. StrongCurves is more focused on building big glutes through exercises such as hip thrusts and glute bridges. You get all of the other compound lifts and stuff in there, but I personally liked the butt focus hahaha.
  • larlelar
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! At this point I'm just trying to soak up lots of information so I can figure out what programs/exercises will be best for me after I'm "done" losing the fat... And to add friends so I can see what other people do. Lots of good advice and things to read about! I just like to be prepared, I guess. :) thanks again.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! At this point I'm just trying to soak up lots of information so I can figure out what programs/exercises will be best for me after I'm "done" losing the fat... And to add friends so I can see what other people do. Lots of good advice and things to read about! I just like to be prepared, I guess. :) thanks again.

I would strongly suggest not waiting until you are at goal weight to start or continue lifting. Resistance training while in a deficit helps you keep that precious lean mass so your body will likely look better and more defined as you continue to drop the weight.
  • stephienicole88
    stephienicole88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would say incorporating 21 day fix, hammer & chisel, or the new 22 hard corps programs from beach body. They use weights, and your own body weight as resistance. You'll get stronger, lean, and build muscle.
  • larlelar
    Options

I would strongly suggest not waiting until you are at goal weight to start or continue lifting. Resistance training while in a deficit helps you keep that precious lean mass so your body will likely look better and more defined as you continue to drop the weight.

Oh, I definitely plan to keep doing what I've been doing until then! I do lift weights M-W-F, arms-legs-chest/back/shoulders. It's just sort of whatever my brother tells me to do, but it isn't a lot. We both plan on adding a lot to our routine in a few months (he's actually quite fit but has about 5lbs he wants to lose to be super lean before adding more weight lifting).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would say incorporating 21 day fix, hammer & chisel, or the new 22 hard corps programs from beach body. They use weights, and your own body weight as resistance. You'll get stronger, lean, and build muscle.

Not if her goal is gaining strength and doing weights. Beach body workouts might help you get fit, but you will not maximize what you could do with a tried tested and true strength training routine.
  • crystalburritt
    crystalburritt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do the workouts on crossfit.com. Use resources on the site and external sources like http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/category/technique-wod/ for help. Or better yet, join a CrossFit gym.
  • 3bambi3
    Options

Oh, I definitely plan to keep doing what I've been doing until then! I do lift weights M-W-F, arms-legs-chest/back/shoulders. It's just sort of whatever my brother tells me to do, but it isn't a lot. We both plan on adding a lot to our routine in a few months (he's actually quite fit but has about 5lbs he wants to lose to be super lean before adding more weight lifting).

Honestly, I'd start on a structured beginners program now. You and your brother can do it together. I don't see the point in waiting, unless you don't have access to a gym or the proper equipment. You don't need to lose weight before you start heavy lifting. Check out this thread for amazing results, mostly while eating in a deficit:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
  • 3bambi3
    Options

There is no need to do any of this. Why pay someone money for something you can do more effectively for free?
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    Do the workouts on crossfit.com. Use resources on the site and external sources like http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/category/technique-wod/ for help. Or better yet, join a CrossFit gym.

Why is crossfit any better than a traditional lifting program? How will this address the OP's goals?
  • crystalburritt
    crystalburritt Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options