So I have hit a wall....

Options
First post. I guess I will get to the details first. I am a 38 year old male. I am 5' 8" and 6 1/2 weeks ago, weighed 205. The doc said I was overweight (duh) my cholesterol was high, triglycerides high, blood pressure high...........

So I decided to make some changes. I got rid of the sodas first. Most days I only had 1 12 ounce can a day. But, if I went out to eat, would drink several. I also started paying more attention to what I ate. Not eating great, but eating better than I was. Then I decided to drop the beer completely.

Next I went extremely radical on my food intake. Was probably only getting 1000 calories per day and it was all fruit, veggies and snacks like almonds and no beef at all. Only chicken.

So, 4 weeks into it, I was down 20 pounds. I like what I was seeing so I continued and I have been pounding the water for the last month.

Problem is, I have hit a wall and am not really losing anything anymore. I have been mountain biking 40 or so miles a week and walking/jogging 4 miles at least twice a week and weight training every other morning. I am probably getting about 7-8 hours of real activity a week now.

I am really struggling getting my eating under control. I have gone too extreme and am probably not eating enough. I look at something and instantly flip the package over and read the nutritional stuff. I instantly think, "man, I don't want to waste 150 calories on this". Even with stuff like almonds. If its not a fruit, veggie or chicken breast, I most likely will not eat it.

I know I need to add calories back considering all I am doing. But it is really hard for me to look at something and tell myself it is OK to eat. I have instant guilt as soon as I look at the nutrition facts and put it down. Even with whole wheat bread.

I really need to learn what to eat and what not to eat. Anyhow, just having some trouble and wanted to share.

Like I said, I am down to 185 and would like to be a really lean with some definition 160 pounds.

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I know it is harder for men to admit they have eating problems so i'm glad that you have admitted it. With that, I think that maybe you should consider talking to a nutritionist or psychologist about it, since it seems like this is more of a mental issue than a losing weight issue to me.
  • promiseskept
    promiseskept Posts: 119
    Options
    You need to see a nutritionist!
    You are eliminating many essentials for your organs by thinking this way and are just going to head down a messy path of beating yourself up and not getting healthy, getting thin the wrong way is not healthy.
    Eat enough calories that your body can burn energy for exercise, give you the caloric and nutritional intake to be healthy and balanced enough to lose weight.
  • jennfer71
    jennfer71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    "I look at something and instantly flip the package over and read the nutritional stuff. I instantly think, "man, I don't want to waste 150 calories on this"."

I too am guilty of this even with foods that I know are still healthy & good for me .......:embarassed:
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    TBH, It looks like you are doing too much of a 180 degree turn around in your lifestyle. First of all, 20 pounds in 4 weeks is a ton! Doctors only recommend at most about 2-2.5 pounds per week. Also, you need to be eating at the very least 1200 net calories (probably at least 1500 since you are a guy).

Remember that this isn't a race and that to really become healthy you need to make sustainable life changes. Eating that little will put your body in starvation mode so that A) it will want to keep all of its fat and B) you will hit a point that you get soooo hungry and go back to your old eating habits.

Other than that, congratulations on deciding to change your lifestyle for the better. Did your doctor have any recommendations for you? He would probably know better than any of us what kind of diet and calorie net/activity you should be doing.

Good luck and feel free to friend me for support!
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    Congrats on the weight you have lost so far. That being said, everyone hits walls, I have hit 2 on my journey. Remember the calorie count given on mfp its already putting you 500 calories or so under what you need to maintain your weight, so EAT all the calories that you should be eating. I am a 5'3 141 lb girl and I am eating 1200 calories a day with only moderate exercise, so I know you are definately not eating enough and your body is going to try to horde all the fat in your body because it thinks you are starving. As long as you are eating the good stuff, having calories is not a bad thing. Your car wont run without gas and your body wont run without food. Good Luck
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating 1000 calories a day you are eating way too few and that is most likely the reason you have hit a wall. If you set up MFP right in the beginning than you are given a calorie goal for each day. You should be eating close to this goal each day and you should be eating to replace most of the calories you burn each day. If you eat too few calories your body will go into "starvation mode" and hang onto all the fat it can because it thinks there is a famine. Another reason you should be eating back most of those calories is that it will help build muscle which in turn ramps up your metabolism helping to burn more calories even when you are sleeping. Losing 5 pounds a week is probably too many. If you lose much more than 2 pounds a week you will probably start losing not just fat but also muscle mass. If you start losing muscle mass your metabolism goes down making it all the harder to burn fat.
  • jshbryan
    jshbryan Posts: 29
    Options
    Maybe a nutritionist, but maybe not a psychologist.......unless you ask my wife :laugh: .

It's not so much that I don't want to eat, it is that I am paranoid I am making the wrong food choices. I know what is good for me, it's getting the balance of those foods down so that I can lose weight and be getting what I need in that balance. My conundrum now is to just stick to fruit, veggies and lean chicken. I know I cant overdue it with that.

Everything is in grams of this and grams of that. I need to just buckle down and convert all those grams into servings. But, I really don't want to turn this into a job or I fear I will lose interest.
  • jshbryan
    Options
    TBH, It looks like you are doing too much of a 180 degree turn around in your lifestyle. First of all, 20 pounds in 4 weeks is a ton! Doctors only recommend at most about 2-2.5 pounds per week. Also, you need to be eating at the very least 1200 net calories (probably at least 1500 since you are a guy).

Remember that this isn't a race and that to really become healthy you need to make sustainable life changes. Eating that little will put your body in starvation mode so that A) it will want to keep all of its fat and B) you will hit a point that you get soooo hungry and go back to your old eating habits.

Other than that, congratulations on deciding to change your lifestyle for the better. Did your doctor have any recommendations for you? He would probably know better than any of us what kind of diet and calorie net/activity you should be doing.

Good luck and feel free to friend me for support!

I am ashamed to admit, but most of that weight was more than likely from stopping the soda and alcohol (which I thoroughly enjoyed but don't want to be dead at 40 years old)

As for the docs recommendations, he basically said get rid of everything that says high fructose corn syrup. Get rid of most of the beef. And, when you go grocery shopping, stay on the outside aisle where all the fresh dairy, fruits, veggies and meat are. His philosophy is those should be the only areas you go in whether you are over weight or not. He says all the stuff in the center of the store, surrounded by those outside aisle is junk filler. And he is right.
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    "I look at something and instantly flip the package over and read the nutritional stuff. I instantly think, "man, I don't want to waste 150 calories on this"."

I too am guilty of this even with foods that I know are still healthy & good for me .......:embarassed:

My grocery shopping time has doubled because of that! LOL :tongue:
  • jshbryan
    Options
    If you are only eating 1000 calories a day you are eating way too few and that is most likely the reason you have hit a wall. If you set up MFP right in the beginning than you are given a calorie goal for each day. You should be eating close to this goal each day and you should be eating to replace most of the calories you burn each day. If you eat too few calories your body will go into "starvation mode" and hang onto all the fat it can because it thinks there is a famine. Another reason you should be eating back most of those calories is that it will help build muscle which in turn ramps up your metabolism helping to burn more calories even when you are sleeping. Losing 5 pounds a week is probably too many. If you lose much more than 2 pounds a week you will probably start losing not just fat but also muscle mass. If you start losing muscle mass your metabolism goes down making it all the harder to burn fat.

Mark, MFP says I needed 1845 calories per day. And, I am eating substantially more than the 1000 calories I started on. I am floating around 1500 to 2000 for the last week.

You mention replcaing my exercise calories. That is where I get so confused. Why did I just work my butt of mountain biking for the last hour to take the calories back in??? I am not saying you are wrong, it is just my way of thinking and maybe what is slowing me down.

BTW to All - I am losing inches like crazy. I look way better and fit into clothes I haven't worn in years. Already went from a size 36 to a 32 in my pants. So I guess I am still losing, it's just inches and not weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OK, as you know, you are not eating enough. Due to this, you are in starvation mode and your body is retaining water. Next, with the amount you workout I am thinking you should be eating close to 2500-3000 calories to LOSE weight. Based on the information you have provided, your BMR is just over 1800 calories. This means, this is the amount of calories you would burn if you slept for 24 hours. If you mutliply that by your activity level, you will get around 2900 calories to maintain weight and 2400-2500 calories to lose weight. Now, this only increases as your get close to your goal. Now, I am assuming you are faily similar in size to me. At 205, I was about 18-20% body fat when I first started. Figured based on age, a realistic body fat goal for you is 12-15% body fat (if you want to be considered athletic in build) which puts your caloric needs at 2500. Keep in mind, food is fuel. You wouldn't put crappy gas in a $1M car, so why put it in your own body. There are tons of things you can eat that will not only give you the protein, fats and carbs you need but will allow you to lose weight and decrease your cholesterol such as: Eggs, chicken, turkey, ham, lean meats like 95/5% beef, avocado, handful of nuts, protein shakes or bars,etc...). I know this because I have done it myself. Below is a narrative I keep on writing because it works and it's what I have done. In fact, I have used this method with other MFP members with success. It was actually a response about eating back your workout calories but it applies to how to eat.

My approach looks at Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); BMR is the amount of calories you would burn if you slept 24 hours, for me, my BMR is 2000 calories. I then mutliply it by my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE); how many calories I should eat to make up for daily activities (walking, working out, etc) to get a total number of calories. Because I do a program like p90x, I multiply my 2000 calories by 1.725 which equals 3400 calories. This amount of calories is the amount I need to eat to maintain weight. I back off 500 caloires as my deficit and eat 3000 calories in a day. This is the website I use.

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

I set up custom ratio's. I do 45% of carbs, 35% of protein and 20% for fats. As I progress, I will lower protein and increase carbs. This method has worked for me and others I have worked with on the site. MFP just makes it simple for anyone to come on and lose weight. I take more of a scientific approach to weight loss. When I started I was 210 & 18% body fat. Now I am 189 and 12% body fat and hoping to break single digits within 3 months.

Cliff notes: if you go by the sites calculations, you absolutely should eat back your workout calories as they preload the deficit. If you go by the more scientific method, you don't have to worry about it, it's already figured in your number.

Good luck everyone.

Additionally, with your workout, you seem to be good. Strength training should be done 3 times a week as well as 3 times a week for cardio. Feel free to look at my food diary for choices of food to eat.
  • jshbryan
    Options
    OK, as you know, you are not eating enough. Due to this, you are in starvation mode and your body is retaining water. Next, with the amount you workout I am thinking you should be eating close to 2500-3000 calories to LOSE weight. Based on the information you have provided, your BMR is just over 1800 calories. This means, this is the amount of calories you would burn if you slept for 24 hours. If you mutliply that by your activity level, you will get around 2900 calories to maintain weight and 2400-2500 calories to lose weight. Now, this only increases as your get close to your goal. Now, I am assuming you are faily similar in size to me. At 205, I was about 18-20% body fat when I first started. Figured based on age, a realistic body fat goal for you is 12-15% body fat (if you want to be considered athletic in build) which puts your caloric needs at 2500. Keep in mind, food is fuel. You wouldn't put crappy gas in a $1M car, so why put it in your own body. There are tons of things you can eat that will not only give you the protein, fats and carbs you need but will allow you to lose weight and decrease your cholesterol such as: Eggs, chicken, turkey, ham, lean meats like 95/5% beef, avocado, handful of nuts, protein shakes or bars,etc...). I know this because I have done it myself. Below is a narrative I keep on writing because it works and it's what I have done. In fact, I have used this method with other MFP members with success. It was actually a response about eating back your workout calories but it applies to how to eat.

My approach looks at Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); BMR is the amount of calories you would burn if you slept 24 hours, for me, my BMR is 2000 calories. I then mutliply it by my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE); how many calories I should eat to make up for daily activities (walking, working out, etc) to get a total number of calories. Because I do a program like p90x, I multiply my 2000 calories by 1.725 which equals 3400 calories. This amount of calories is the amount I need to eat to maintain weight. I back off 500 caloires as my deficit and eat 3000 calories in a day. This is the website I use.

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

I set up custom ratio's. I do 45% of carbs, 35% of protein and 20% for fats. As I progress, I will lower protein and increase carbs. This method has worked for me and others I have worked with on the site. MFP just makes it simple for anyone to come on and lose weight. I take more of a scientific approach to weight loss. When I started I was 210 & 18% body fat. Now I am 189 and 12% body fat and hoping to break single digits within 3 months.

Cliff notes: if you go by the sites calculations, you absolutely should eat back your workout calories as they preload the deficit. If you go by the more scientific method, you don't have to worry about it, it's already figured in your number.

Good luck everyone.

Additionally, with your workout, you seem to be good. Strength training should be done 3 times a week as well as 3 times a week for cardio. Feel free to look at my food diary for choices of food to eat.

psulemon - Thanks for sharing.

Here is where I get confused about all of this. You guys say to replenish the calories I burn. Everything I have ever read or been told is to lose weight you have to expend more calories than you take in. Man I am lost I guess.
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    I am not an expert but this has confused me at well. I guess I best understand it as exercise calories are to refuel. The minus is still figured in. Kinda like a foolproof system. You could eat all the calories you are given at the base rate and just live a normal day and you would STILL lose weight. When you exercise you don't necessarily lose weight faster, you are Toning up and making more muscle. Muscle building needs more fuel than say desk sitting. So the system on MFP is set to work without having to do the math.

Does that help? I have consistently lost weight (with one dry spot) for almost four months. I work out daily and I eat within the numbers. It works. When I hit the dry spell I actually upped my calories and water and then lost a bunch in a short time. Not sure how or why but it works.

Try adding dairy if you can. Its good for you!

Blessings
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon - Thanks for sharing.

Here is where I get confused about all of this. You guys say to replenish the calories I burn. Everything I have ever read or been told is to lose weight you have to expend more calories than you take in. Man I am lost I guess.

So in the equation I gave you and with using MFP as is, both of them have the caloric deficit built into them. if you set a goal on here to lose 1 lbs a week, MFP takes what your calculated BMR and activity are and subtracts 500 calories. The katch mcardle cacluation does that same thing. TDEE is the total amount of calories you burn working out, doing daily task and sleepy. To lose weight, the formula backs off 250-500 calories depending how close you are to your goal. Now a person who has a significant amount of weight vs a person who has little to lose has a diffirent goal for how many calories they can back off. The more you need to lose, the bigger the caloric deficit can be (recommended 500 - 1000). If you only need to lose 10-20 lbs or less, the it should only be set to 250 caloric deficit.

Hope this helps.