Should I weigh myself once a week or once in two weeks

Options
So I am planning to either weigh myself once a week or once every two weeks. Which one is more
convenient or which one works. I have so much going on in my life, I am distracted!!!!

Replies

• jenjens86
    jenjens86 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Personally I weigh every Friday morning same time of day before breakfast. Works for me :)
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It its a personal preference. I weigh myself every morning. You have to find which works for you :)
  • Meffordh
    Meffordh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    jenjens86 wrote: »
    Personally I weigh every Friday morning same time of day before breakfast. Works for me :)

I do the same thing
  • xRezin
    xRezin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every single day. It has its ups and downs, but I think I have a better grasp on what my body is doing that way, so I can adjust things during the week if need be.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Weight as often as you want - but be consistent. Meaning don't compare an evening weight to a morning weight - you'll have different levels of food/drink in your system.

And in my opinion, if you're female, do NOT compare weights week to week. Again, get on the scale as often as you want but compare today's weight to what you weighed 1 month ago. That will negate any fluctuation from water weight due to TOM/Hormones.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday and Friday morning at the same time. It helps keep me accountable over the weekend if I bookend it ;)
  • dsadburrito
    dsadburrito Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Either is fine! I personally weigh myself every day.

Whatever you choose just be consistent! If it's every Friday morning stick to that. Every other Friday night, stick to that. Every morning after a poop - stick to that!
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on the 9th of every month. That's the best schedule for my sanity.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I'm weighing weekly on Thursdays lately.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and chart this in Excel. This is how I learned I always gain weight at ovulation as well as when I'm premenstrual. Weighing every day helps me not fuss about normal fluctuations.

I log new lows into MFP.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nobody can give you your answer. You need to find your answer.

I find the best thing is to weigh daily then track a moving average which creates a trend line and smooths out the fluctuations.

I worry about waiting too long between weigh-ins because what if on the first, I weigh 240 but am dehydrated and weighing 2lbs lower than trend, and then on the 14th I'm 240, but 2 days into a new workout and had chinese so I'm weighing 3lbs above trend. What it will look like on the scale is that my weight hasn't moved in 2 weeks, when in reality I have lost 5 lbs.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I think weighing yourself less often makes it a bigger deal... then you get caught up on seeing the number. I figure it must be pretty disappointing for someone to eat well and exercise for two weeks, then step on the scale and find out that they gained 5 pounds (because they are ovulating or whatever).
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Every day here as well. You get fluctuations no matter what you do - at least with daily weigh-ins they become fairly obvious. E.g. I didn't gain three pounds of fat overnight.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do once every two weeks: after I ovulate, and after I menstruate. Day-to-day fluctuations make me crazy.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    pick whatever you'll do consistently. Either method has their downsides.

If you weigh weekly you can easily have an up week despite trying to lose weight. This can be discouraging if you don't understand weight fluctuation. If you weigh every 2 weeks it can be even worse.

I personally weigh every morning right after waking up and going to the bathroom.

EDIT: also, if you are so distracted in life and you really want to lose weight, weighing every day makes it a priority. Something you are working towards fixing every day. I personally find that if I stop weighing myself I stop caring about my weight and then ultimately get fat.
  • Darjaurhziva
    Darjaurhziva Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Tuesday mornings.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I log my weight on MFP every day regardless of if I'm up or down. I have MFP linked to fitbit (no actual device), which is linked to trendweight.com.