Fitbit yes or no?

Options
kristenwilson9
kristenwilson9 Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all,I was thinking of getting a fitbit and was wondering what everyone's opinions were on them. I am looking into getting either the fitbit charge or fitbit charge HR. If anyone has any recommendations or advice that would be great! Thanks for anyone who has time to reply. :)

Replies

• drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Inaccurate heart rate, calories burned aren't any more accurate than you making a smart guess on the myfitnesspal entries.

There are far better ways to spend $100
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    fitness trackers are great if you use them to their full benefit.

Just having it won't help anything.

I use one and it is motivating to make me move more to hit my step goal etc.

Love the sleep tracking (I use Jawbone) and the fact they sync with MFP...I also have my movement alert set for 15mins so if that buzzes I am up and moving.

I didn't think it would help at all ...but it does.
  • kristenwilson9
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    fitness trackers are great if you use them to their full benefit.

Just having it won't help anything.

I use one and it is motivating to make me move more to hit my step goal etc.

Love the sleep tracking (I use Jawbone) and the fact they sync with MFP...I also have my movement alert set for 15mins so if that buzzes I am up and moving.

I didn't think it would help at all ...but it does.

Do you think it helps in getting a more accurate calorie deficit?
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Following....

I use "Map my Run," app and it is doing great for recording my walks, it gives me everything I need for recording my exercise. I use MFP for food logs and calories, it works great. There are sleep apps for recording your sleep too, I tried those and it was amazing how much you move around at night. As for Heart Rates, I have heard the FitBit can be inaccurate, I use an app for Heart rate too. I have heard the battery in the FitBit does not last a full week because of all the continuing monitoring.

I am thinking, the only reason now that I would want a FitBit would be for counting steps, but there are apps for that too. I think I just talked myself out of a $100.00 to $130.00 gadget!
  • kcdambuster
    kcdambuster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I got a Charge HR as a gift in January and it has helped me lose nearly a stone.

Motivates me to reach targets. Steps, cals burnt, hr zones, distance and floors.
    Gives plenty of charts and graphs to show and compare e.g. the gap between cals in and cals out, BMI track and weight etc.

Analysis of individual exercise sessions.

If it is inaccurate, it is consistently inaccurate.

• tashat1976
    tashat1976 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love my fit bit hr I received it for a Christmas gift and it keeps me motivated to beat my steps everyday. I am participating in challenges with friends just trying to move more I have lost a little over 30 pounds since putting this on my wrist January 2nd
  • kristenwilson9
    Options
    tashat1976 wrote: »
    I love my fit bit hr I received it for a Christmas gift and it keeps me motivated to beat my steps everyday. I am participating in challenges with friends just trying to move more I have lost a little over 30 pounds since putting this on my wrist January 2nd

Wow that's amazing! Good for you. I think I will look into getting one :)
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just had to replace my Fitbit Flex, after three years, it surrendered to my abuse of it. Just got my new Fitbit Blaze in. LOVE it. It is a little expensive but that's really objective depending on your budget. It appears to be fairly accurate in steps and distance. Do some research on it! I am very happy with it at this point. Especially the re-charging set-up. Fitbit got it right for the Blaze.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i love mine.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    There are far better ways to spend $100

Not in my book! I've lost 21lb since Jan 4th using my Fitbit, it's motivated me a lot, I absolutely love it. I'd have spent more than £70 ($100) in two months on a gym membership and hated every minute of it, however my Fitbit is fully paid for and i've had excellent result from it. :)

• Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR. As others have said, it really depends on how you use it. I have it linked up with MFP and use the two apps in conjunction to keep within my calorie goal. I've found that the Fitbit is a little more conservative for what I should consume, and so helps me stay within my daily deficit goal. For me, it's a daily reminder to move more at every opportunity, to get up from my desk more throughout the day, and to crank out a good walk or run in the evenings. Assume that you're underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Also, I really like the Fitbit app itself, so even though I have a Polar HRM and could track workouts manually and likely more accurately, the app keeps me accountable and lets me compete with friends for steps, and that's a feature I enjoy. I've really been beating up my Charge HR, so when I get to my halfway point, I think my reward will be the new Blaze.
  • ravib9999
    ravib9999 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Same as others. I recently picked up my Fitbit Charge and love it. My 2 year also loves it as she tears it off at any opportunity. It has honestly motivated me to keep up and I'm working my way to a regular 10,000 steps a day. Although today I'll be doing more sitting, overdid it at the gym last night and now I'm limping. I too use it in conjunction with MFP.
  • Dominicj569
    Dominicj569 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love my charge HR, its great for me,

Yes, you can use other stuff, but that requires effort, and you cant really use map my run to count the steps to the water cooler or the coffee machine like you can the mile to the sandwich shop and back.
    Mile here, mile there, its adds up, fast.