Vyvanse for weight loss?

Options
Hey guys,
I went to the doctors today and he suggested to me that I should consider taking Vyvanse for Binge Eating Disorder and weight loss. I'm considering it and just wanted to hear from my favorite pound shredders if they've had any experience with using Vyvanse for weight loss? Any input helps. Thank you!

Replies

• witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It helps by decreasing apetite. By that I mean when I am hungry, I still don't want to eat because he doesn't sound good. You have to.force yourself to eat sometimes.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisdexamfetamine

http://www.drugs.com/vyvanse.html
    Vyvanse is also used to treat moderate to severe binge eating disorder in adults. This medicine is not to be used for obesity or weight loss.

http://www.vyvanse.com/
    WHAT IS VYVANSE?

Vyvanse® (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in patients 6 years and above, and for the treatment of moderate to severe Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.) in adults. Vyvanse is not for weight loss. It is not known if Vyvanse is safe and effective for the treatment of obesity.

http://www.vyvanse.com/binge-eating-disorder
    Is Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) Right for You?

Vyvanse is the first and only medication approved to treat moderate to severe Binge Eating Disorder in adults. For adults who have been diagnosed with moderate to severe B.E.D., Vyvanse may be able to help them get control of binge eating. Vyvanse is not for weight loss. It is not known if Vyvanse is safe and effective for the treatment of obesity. As with any medical condition, Binge Eating Disorder can only be diagnosed by a doctor or other trained health care professional. Medicine is not appropriate for all adults with Binge Eating Disorder.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I wonder why you could use for binge eating but not obesity. That's weird.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am considering it too but I heard it has kind of intense side effects.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get a second opinion if my Dr. was prescribing a drug for something that it is not intended for! It says right on the company's web site and information page that it is NOT for weight loss and it it not known if it is safe or effective for weight loss. /boggle.

Loss of appetite is just a POSSIBLE side effect of the drug. It is prescribed for binge eating disorder because it helps with impulsivity. BED is a medical diagnosis based on the persons inability to control their impulses. Obesity is not the same as having an eating disorder.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The only treatment for obesity is eating less and moving more, but they can't say that? If this drugs makes you stop binging and therefore eat less, you will lose weight.

It doesn't teach you anything, so it's a temporary fix. Maybe that's why they can't call it a treatment for obesity? I don't know. I wouldn't take it.

(Edited to something hopefully less stupid.)
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    OK. So let's assume you will take it. Then lose the weight. and then what? What will happen when you stop? Will the binges return? or Will you take it forever? I am totally against this b/c it will not teach you any new healthy practices that will allow you to maintain a healthy weight. Much of bingeing is a bad habit ( I am not saying it in a dismissive way, there is a lot of new science about habit formation). The more you do a habit, the more it becomes burnt into your neural pathways and your brain will want to do it. I am sure you can find technique to stop snacking or bingeing and the more your stop, the less your brain will want to do it. I read a v interesting book that summmarizes much more eloquently than me:

Brain over Binge: Why I Was Bulimic, Why Conventional Therapy Didn't Work, and How I Recovered for Good
    Hansen, Kathryn
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Above poster very correct about the habitual nature binge eating becomes. I myself for sure am within the habit and it sucks because yes it is hard to break. I have tried different pills to cope with it but learned side effects typically outweigh the benefits and also thinking about the realistic probability of just relying on the med too is also discouraging.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Vyvance was first used as an ADHD medication...which is why I am using it. Let me provide some insight...and then see how it can be used for things like binge eating disorder (which it has been approved for)

In addition to ADHD, I have had years of fighting weight issues. The worst culprit was binge eating...which makes sense when one understands ADHD. One of the biggest challenges for those of us with ADHD is that the executive function is impaired...and no, whether for eating or other behaviours that require executive function it is not just a mind or matter or brain over binge. To be honest, when people suggested that I just become more organized or just stop over eating...it was insulting. Do you not think I have tried. It is not about willpower (FTR, I am university educated and hold a Director Level role...so probably was "smart" enough if it were simple).

Now there are many side effects of the medication and not everyone will experience all of them. For me the two most prevalent were dry mouth, challenges falling asleep and loss of appetite--especially when the medication is at its peak (around noon). Vyvance is not approved for this side effect.

Also, and more importantly, Vyvance is a stimulant...what the primary affect for me is that I am able to stay focused for decision making...which includes when to eat etc...When I am taking the drug, then I can actually make the choice to no eat, control binge eating....or actually maintain some semblance of organization. With this in place, I now can also find tools strategies that help me now and in the future.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I would definitely get a second opinion if my Dr. was prescribing a drug for something that it is not intended for! It says right on the company's web site and information page that it is NOT for weight loss and it it not known if it is safe or effective for weight loss. /boggle.

Loss of appetite is just a POSSIBLE side effect of the drug. It is prescribed for binge eating disorder because it helps with impulsivity. BED is a medical diagnosis based on the persons inability to control their impulses. Obesity is not the same as having an eating disorder.

Actually it is now approved for binge eatihg disorder. Its no longer an off label prescription.

I am on vyvanse for ADD, inatentive type.

I do not have any major side effects, except for increased focus and dry mouth. It DOES not reduce my appetite, though i know it does for most.

Also, i need to take it before 9am or i wont be able to sleep.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

Actually it is now approved for binge eatihg disorder. Its no longer an off label prescription.

I do not have any major side effects, except for increased focus and dry mouth. It DOES not reduce my appetite, though i know it does for most.

I KNOW it is approved for binge eating disorder. My comment was directed to the person who could not understand why it would be approved for BED and not weight loss. AND I said right in my quote that it was prescribed for BED. Really wish people would comprehend what they read!

I have ADD. I was able to put "mind over matter" and work on my impulsivity. It takes more effort than others, but saying that I have ADD and I cannot control my impulses is insulting. That is just another excuse. I work all day helping students with ADD learn how to control their impulses.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

I KNOW it is approved for binge eating disorder. My comment was directed to the person who could not understand why it would be approved for BED and not weight loss. AND I said right in my quote that it was prescribed for BED. Really wish people would comprehend what they read!

I have ADD. I was able to put "mind over matter" and work on my impulsivity. It takes more effort than others, but saying that I have ADD and I cannot control my impulses is insulting. That is just another excuse. I work all day helping students with ADD learn how to control their impulses.

You're right, I should have read....and not skimmed. My bad.

I agree that it IS possible to control impulses without medication for those with ADD - at least it is for me to a degree. That being said....there is NO compairison, for me personally, to how I was able to function unmedicated to how I am currently able to function while medicated. My quality of life has improved imensely!

Im not talking about my relationship with food....I have never been an impulse eater or binge eater.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have been reading about Vyvanse & thinking about going to a doctor for a prescription for Binge Eating Disorder. Honestly though, I was scared by the fact that it is addictive. I have a huge fear of getting addicted to pills. I have been looking at topiramate instead, but it has some really bad side effects as well.
  • tichondria
    tichondria Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me on topiramate and really the only thing I have noticed with it, is that my hands or the end of my nose will tingle sometimes. That and if your a pop drinker, you will not be after about a week of taking it. Not sure why, but it makes any carbonated drink taste absolutely horrible. Also it does have the ability to change how you taste certain foods. For me, I stopped pop drinking completely, I also can't stand anything to sugary. And certain foods taste kind of foul to me now. And I feel it's why I sometimes get a little diarrhea every once in awhile, but I chalk that up to my no gallbladder anymore and that is fairly common for people with none.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have been on Vyvanse for over a month, I take it for B.E.D. and ADD/ADHD. I had no control over myself when an urge to binge hit me. I would eat until I hurt. I would snack all the time, I would eat in secret shame. Since being on the medication I have lost weight for the first time in years. I still get hungry but I can now control how much, and when I eat. Where as before I would eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, snacks, bags of chips, whatever. I can now for the first time pass on foods that were once a trigger for me. For me when I was prescribed Vyvnase mt Dr. also paired it with therapy to try to find the root of the issue, so that if and when I do go off the drug that I do not fall back into my old habits. Yes it is a stimulant that is absorbed through the stomach so you may have a few issues with that in the beginning. For me though the biggest change from it is my ability to finally be in control of what, and how much food I am eating.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The reason that psychostimulant medication works for something like BED is *mainly* because it increases focus and executive function in those who have neurobiologicaly based disorders. ADHD has a neurobiological basis and stimulant medications are typically highly effective. The side effect of a depressed appetite would possibly additionally help with BED and would have a side effect of possibly losing weight. I would not say that it's appropriate to use Vyvanse or another stimulant for that purpose (although people self medicate with stimulants to lose weight on their own...). I think it's possibly just an oversight that he mentioned using it for weight loss as in he may have just been suggesting that it might have that added effect when the purpose of the Rx would be for BED. It depends though what is happening to you specifically with your BED - are you hungry or just in search of comfort, etc. There are other reasons that would cause you to binge eat and that's something that's helped better with something like cognitive-behavioral therapy (actually a combo of stimulant medication, CBT, and coping/skill teaching is most effective for ADHD as well...).

There are risks and side effects associated with psychostimulants that you should be aware of and weigh in your decision to possibly take it but if you have a diagnosed psychologically based disorder that this medication is approved for and you want to try it out then that's your decision.

PSA: I'm a school psychologist and I do not prescribe medications but I deal with a LOT of kiddos who are diagnosed with ADHD or other issues that include them being prescribed stimulant medications. So this is just my 2c.

-- I did not mean for half of this to be italicized...lol
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I wonder why you could use for binge eating but not obesity. That's weird.

I'd suspect because it affects seratonin levels (main issues in folks with ADHD and I guess those that suffer from BED)
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

B.E.D. is a psychological condition listed in the DSM 5. The DSM is the big book of everything medically related. It is how people get diagnosed. That being said Obesity is a byproduct of overeating, or a sedentary lifestyle, B.E.D is an eating disorder where you can not stop yourself from binging. B.E.D. in most cases leads to obesity without treatment.
    Recently Vyvanse was cleared by the FDA to treat B.E.D, it was originally an ADHD medication. One of the things Vyvanse has been able to do for me since I was diagnosed with B.E.D. and ADD/ADHD is finally allow me to control myself when it comes to foods. I used to have certain things that would trigger a binge, my goto binge foods were mostly sweets, candies, cakes, cup cakes, doughnuts. I would eat those things until it hurt, or I was sick. I had not off button when the urge hit I had no control over myself. I lied to my family, and ate in secret shame. But since getting treatment I can actually eat things in moderation. I finally feel like I am getting control of that part of my life back. It has been many years since I honestly felt like I had any control of how much and what I ate. I know this is sort of all over the place and I apologize for that.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    My son has taken Vyvanse for years for ADD. It does curb your appetite. He's in college now and was only taking it when he had classes and gained a lot of weight. He's back to taking it every day now in order to try to lose some weight. It does the job, but the problem is the weight will come right back when you go off of it if you do not teach yourself good eating habits.