How much cardio for cardiovascular fitness?

Options
I'm 5'4, I weigh 130, and my RHR is around 90. So while I know that cardio wont necessarily help me with weight loss, I want to get "fit". How much cardio should I do weekly to better make my heart stronger? Currently I am going to the gym around three times a week. I do weights for around 30 minutes and cardio for around 25 (I really hate cardio).

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you can jog for 30 mins straight you're in good shape. Not saying that's required, it's just a benchmark. Your resting HR seems high but sometimes that's genetic.

Hating "cardio" is pretty vague. Find whatever you hate least. Running, biking, swimming, obstacle climbing, powerwalking, xcountry skiing, etc.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Well, considering that I can barely do 30 seconds of running, I think it's safe to say I am in bad shape. I've been working on the treadmill because it's what I least dread. Today I did 20 minutes alternating 30 sec of run g at 5.0 with about a minute at 3.5.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thats great. Check out the Couch to 5k program, it starts with walk/run alternating and builds you up to a 5k!

As for "how much", the sky is the limit! Endurance sports are fun once you get a basic level of fitness, and more fun the fitter you get! Plus it will make everything in your life feel like a breeze.

I swear you'll enjoy it more once you get to a point where you can go on an " easy run" and have it actually feel easy :) It's COMPLETELY worth sticking to it long enough to get there.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The heart association says 150 min a week of moderate, or 75 min of strenuous. If you really hit it, and go at near your lthr, the time you do now will work.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    The best advice I got on increasing cardiovascular fitness was "once you want to stop running, that's when your run starts." So that last leg, when you really wanted to stop a block back, that is the stretch that increases your capacity.