Spaghetti squash

Options
ErinKay_RN
ErinKay_RN Posts: 40 Member
How do you prepare it, The same as spaghetti?

Replies

• dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I baked it in the oven.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Bake it in the oven until soft,w olive oil, olive oil or Pam spray, or butter, and salt n pepper, scoop it out and enjoy!
    You can put marinara sauce on it or eat it sweet w a little sugar or honey.
  • iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Half long way...scoop out seeds put face dwn on cookie sheet bake at 400 for 40 min
  • blgshelby
    blgshelby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am a 58 year old lady from Saskatoon. Since my daughter was following the Paleo Diet when she first started the gym. I decided to follow along as I had lots of weight to lose with no success in the past. I experimented a lot with learning how I liked to cook Spagetti Squash. I ended up loving this cut in half placed RIGHT side up one half in two separate Parchment paper bags placed both on a cookie sheet I the middle rack of the oven set at 350. I make sure to remove the seeds prior... And put my olive oil and favorite spices on the squash prior to cooking. Mmmmm enjoy! I do this because I like the outer shell to stay firmer while cooking yet the Spagetti holds the flavours of the slices while cooking!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    blgshelby wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I am a 58 year old lady from Saskatoon. Since my daughter was following the Paleo Diet when she first started the gym. I decided to follow along as I had lots of weight to lose with no success in the past. I experimented a lot with learning how I liked to cook Spagetti Squash. I ended up loving this cut in half placed RIGHT side up one half in two separate Parchment paper bags placed both on a cookie sheet I the middle rack of the oven set at 350. I make sure to remove the seeds prior... And put my olive oil and favorite spices on the squash prior to cooking. Mmmmm enjoy! I do this because I like the outer shell to stay firmer while cooking yet the Spagetti holds the flavours of the slices while cooking!

This is awesome! I have not heard this technique yet. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing @bigshelby!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I put it in the microwave because I'm lazy.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I bake it and I slice it across like this after I bake it.
    Then I make a creamy sauce.
    http://eatwithinyourmeans.com/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash/
  • SiaB12
    SiaB12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Here's a cool way to cook it. I haven't tried this way yet, but it seems like it would allow you to season it better than just simply cutting it in half.
    The link has a how to pic to show you how to cut it. The recipe sounds yummy too

Link: http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/spaghetti-squash-with-bacon-spinach-and-goat-cheese#.nkj5DdqAn
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I cut and roast cut side down, then scoop my strands, mix with ingredients and stuff back in the shell, usually to bake again.
  • Rach_B_81
    Rach_B_81 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I bake right side up as well. Helps it not get too soft and watery.

I like using it in place of pad Thai noodles. Yum yum.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I put it in the microwave because I'm lazy.

Ha ha! Me too.
  • shortyforlife411
    shortyforlife411 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also go with the microwave because I'm lazy. :)

Pierce it with a knife a handful of times (otherwise it could explode and then I'd have more work than if I'd put it in the oven), place it in a microwave-safe bowl with a 1/2" or so of water in the bottom, and then pop it in the microwave. I turn it over every 6 minutes and keep going until it becomes soft enough for me to push on and it gives.

Be careful when you first cut it open though. If you don't let it cool off for quite a while, it will be really hot. Then just use a spoon to scoop out the seeds in the middle and a fork to start pulling the "spaghetti strands" out of it. If you cut it open long-ways you will have shorter strands, but if you cut it across the middle, you will have longer strands more like spaghetti.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I boiled my spaghetti squash. I cut the squash in half. I freeze one half and boiled the other half. Remove the seeds before cooking and freezing. I cannot remember how long to boil the squash. Once it is cooked and cooled, I fork out the spaghetti squash to separate the spaghetti strands. Then I saute up some onions and green peppers in little butter, then I add the spaghetti squash and blend to together. Season to taste.Then, I add my spaghetti squash mixture to a plate and top with spaghetti sauce. Yum! Yum!