Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What would I do without you?/ Knee surgery questions/

I have had a rough two weeks since my knee surgery. Sitting around all the time, not being to exercise has been killing me. BUT the support and love I have been given on MFP is getting me by. I know that if I didn't have this site, I would be eating and seriously down. I am happy to report that even though my only exercise is PT at this time, I am watching my food and making sure I intake enough water.
THANKS MFP friends, I don't know what I would do without you.
SO that said, is there anyone out there that has had knee surgery (meniscus repair) and been on an exercise restriction? Any tips? Advice? How to say in shape? What did you do while you were off your exercise routine?
I CANNOT wait to lace up again and hit the treadmill/ streets. But until then, how do I at least maintain my weight, and not completely lose my muscle?
THANKS AGAIN!
XOXOX
Jenn

Replies

• JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    I would like to see the responses... I am going to need knee surgery eventually.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    The gym I have has arm bikes. I used them and went for walks right after my knee surgery a few years ago.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    I want to see responses too. I had foot surgery on June 1. My only exercise has been crutching around as I'm nonweightbearing.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    I have had a rough two weeks since my knee surgery. Sitting around all the time, not being to exercise has been killing me. BUT the support and love I have been given on MFP is getting me by. I know that if I didn't have this site, I would be eating and seriously down. I am happy to report that even though my only exercise is PT at this time, I am watching my food and making sure I intake enough water.
    THANKS MFP friends, I don't know what I would do without you.
    SO that said, is there anyone out there that has had knee surgery (meniscus repair) and been on an exercise restriction? Any tips? Advice? How to say in shape? What did you do while you were off your exercise routine?
    I CANNOT wait to lace up again and hit the treadmill/ streets. But until then, how do I at least maintain my weight, and not completely lose my muscle?
    THANKS AGAIN!
    XOXOX
    Jenn

I have meniscus repair surgery in 1997 and at that point I didn't worry about staying in shape. I now have re-injured that same meniscus, so I may be having surgery on that again. I see someone about it on Monday, and will find out more.

As to what I would do. Do you PT. I am going to look for upper body stuff I can do until I am able to use my leg again, and I will avoid lifting weights or any sort of impact in my exercises for 4-6 months later.
  • rileysowner
    I want to see responses too. I had foot surgery on June 1. My only exercise has been crutching around as I'm nonweightbearing.

Walking with crutches burns a surprising amount of calories. When I injured my meniscus in May I was on them for a week.
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    I feel for you, I had my ACL replaced (it was totally torn and unrepairable) a few years ago and went through 3 months of PT. At that time though I wasn't in the process of losing weight or a regular exerciser. If it happened to me right now though I might try to take advantage of the machines and equipment at PT as much as possible and like the previous poster said, try to work the upper body as much as you can to help burn calories.

Good luck :)
  • Thanks everyone. THE only thing I know is that I am doing the disney half marathon January 7th 2012, I am PRAYING That I will start training by September. I am doing two 5k's in the end of August, and September. EVEN if I have to walk it, I will do it! THANKFULLY I know I will be walking it w/o crutches.
    :)
  • Kat0310
    Stick to your PT and do your recommended at home PT exercises and you will definitely be able to run that Jan Disney marathon :) Take it easy in August though, that's just around the corner...
  • I LOVE THIS SITE~ THANKS EVERYONE!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Were there some complicating factors from your surgery? I would think that your therapists should be able to give you some clear guidelines on what cardio you can do and not do. Two weeks seems like a long time to still not be able to do any cardio.
  • shadow boxing! :)
  • rileysowner
    Were there some complicating factors from your surgery? I would think that your therapists should be able to give you some clear guidelines on what cardio you can do and not do. Two weeks seems like a long time to still not be able to do any cardio.

If she had the same sort of repair to her meniscus that I had she would have been in a locked full leg brace for the first two weeks. Then another two weeks still wearing it, but with the hinge released. After 4 weeks the leg muscles are quite atrophied, at least mine were. I am hoping things are better this time around because I am hoping for repair surgery.
  • Kat0310

If she had the same sort of repair to her meniscus that I had she would have been in a locked full leg brace for the first two weeks. Then another two weeks still wearing it, but with the hinge released. After 4 weeks the leg muscles are quite atrophied, at least mine were. I am hoping things are better this time around because I am hoping for repair surgery.

Ditto on the leg brace. I was also in a full leg hinged brace (along with crutches) for a while till I finally graduated down to a support brace. It takes a long time to be able to do any weight bearing cardio.