How to do yoga safely?

Options
I cant afford a class any resources? I'm so scared of compressing my spine or hurting myself in anyway

Replies

• drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything that hurts. It's pretty safe. Its yoga.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Youtube has great yoga videos. I wouldn't worry too much about hurting yourself, just increase your flexibility gradually and listen to your body.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's yoga. You'll live. But make sure you wear a bicycle helmet, just in case. Better safe than sorry
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing a Google search of proper yoga form. A quick search by me popped up several sites addressing this for some of the basic poses and flows. I would also imagine there are youtube videos addressing form. Like drachfit said, stop if it hurts.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    daily yoga app.
  • aklinkner823
    aklinkner823 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with puffbrat - check out different alignment postures online, and then maybe practice your first few times in front of a mirror to check out your alignment every once in a while. Yoga is all about pushing boundaries, but not crossing them. If you feel a crunch or twinge, just back out of the pose a little bit. There are ways for yoga to be physically effective without pushing yourself too far.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of beginner yoga DVD's out there that go through the moves slowly with explanations of exactly how to do it.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    please ensure you do the absolute beginners yoga programmes which can be found on youtube
  • mydaydreamerz
    mydaydreamerz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I cant afford a class any resources? I'm so scared of compressing my spine or hurting myself in anyway

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. WalMart has some inexpensive beginner DVDs. Rodney Yee and Element with Ashley Turner are good ones to start. Amazon offers Yoga books that are inexpensive. I bought the Yoga Bible by Christina Brown. It ran about $13. It is really detailed on about 120 poses including the basic ones, how to start a practice, breathing techniques, meditation and the different limbs of yoga. The website DoYouYoga is a great site. The basic account is free. It does have a membership for more premium services. It has video practices (programs) that are really good. It's like having an instructor. Also Yoga.com is a wonderful website that you can get on your mobile and tablet. It gives short video instructions on almost every yoga pose possible. Hope this helps!
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene is a pretty great free youtube channel.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Many yoga studios offer "new student pricing" where you can get a reduced membership on a trial basis--that might be a good way to familiarize yourself with some of the basics, and then you can move on to some of the videos.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @Francine_rivas I just started doing yoga at home and use a google app called "Daily yoga". There is beginner, intermediate and advanced. Most programs are free. Lots of free videos on youtube too