Fats: should I eat less?

Options
I'd like your piece of advice if you have the time to answer :)

Lately around 30% of my intake is fat. That's because I've cut carbs (no bread, pasta, cookies, cereals... so I went from 50% to around 33%) while I try to emphasize proteins (30-35% instead of 20%)... Anyway, those fats eaten belong to olive oil, meat and natural things like that; no sweets, butter, pastries or crappy food whatsoever. I know there are 9kcal per gram of fat but I never eat more than my goal so my question is... should I cut the amount of fats taken? I mainly have chicken or beef and then lettuce with some olive oil (hey mediterranean lifestyle!) for lunch.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Seems fine if you are satisfied and feel good.
  • DreKeepingFit
    DreKeepingFit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I must say I started my 1289th diet last week. More than a diet is a new lifestyle but since it's been just a week I cannot tell if it's the right thing to do. I want to lose weight, around 10-15 kilos and I am not in a hurry, that's why I don't want to be unhealthy either :)

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    how is it a new lifestyle if you are cutting out all those foods? Do you think it is sustainable to not eat bread, cereals and butter?

Why happens when you eat out?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    30% of your calorie intake is fat ? That's not high by any measure.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    30% of your calorie intake is fat ? That's not high by any measure.

This. 30% is not an over-large number based on many that I see here on the forums.
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Fat is not all that bad for you, Carbs are what you need to cut down on. Depending on your workout intensity a increased intake of Protein and fat is not bad. Now high fat low protein foods different story, but if you are getting required protein with the fat than for the most part it should be ok, but like with everything in moderation.
  • DreKeepingFit
    DreKeepingFit Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    how is it a new lifestyle if you are cutting out all those foods? Do you think it is sustainable to not eat bread, cereals and butter?

What happens when I eat out? I eat whatever I want when I eat out and enjoy my meal and my company. Eating out may happen like once a week, or even a fortnight which is okay.

I am talking about my ordinary life... not special ocasions. I have oatmeal or toast with ham for breakfast so I don't really need cereals, or at least the sugary ones. Im just asking about the fat percentage, not questioning what I do or don't do with the rest of my life. Thank you anyway.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    30% is fine. I wouldn't call that high.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'd like your piece of advice if you have the time to answer :)

Lately around 30% of my intake is fat. That's because I've cut carbs (no bread, pasta, cookies, cereals... so I went from 50% to around 33%) while I try to emphasize proteins (30-35% instead of 20%)... Anyway, those fats eaten belong to olive oil, meat and natural things like that; no sweets, butter, pastries or crappy food whatsoever. I know there are 9kcal per gram of fat but I never eat more than my goal so my question is... should I cut the amount of fats taken? I mainly have chicken or beef and then lettuce with some olive oil (hey mediterranean lifestyle!) for lunch.

Thanks in advance :)

As a very general rule, you want to aim for something like .35-.4 grams of fat per pound of body weight as a minimum. Fat is important for things like hormone balance and vitamin absorption. Obviously if you have any health conditions that would make fat a concern then you should listen to your doctor and adjust from there. But your fat intake doesn't seem unnaturally high to me.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Fat is 67% of my diet. 27% protein and 6% carbs. A

Rude. Low carb or reducing carbs is absolutely sustainable.

This is what I ate the last time I went out: Salad with grilled chicken, bacon, avocado, hard boiled egg, blue cheese, tomatoes and a vinaigrette.

My diet is up to 67% fat. I am doing fantastic.