Canning

Options
Pandorian
Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
So... canning season must be near, I went to the grocer's again today and saw their mason jars in stock where recently it was Easter clearance.
Over the weekend I was on the farm looking at the garden and seeing what's coming (potatoes are doing well, as is the corn, peas are coming but beans are nowhere to be seen) somehow canning came up and the other party mentioned I should can some meat (if they do it with tuna and flaked ham etc I should be able to) but they said they just hot-water bath can their meat, I was under the impression we'd need to pressure-can meats and similar items. So anyone with experience that can comment or give me some suggestions? I want to do some jam this year along with everything else, the less store-bought stuff the better I feel.

Oh yes, and should I get some citric acid for canning my peaches this year? the ones I did last year were certainly edible but they didn't "look" like the store-bought ones.

Replies

• EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    From what I have read you need to pressure can meats. I have never tried to can meat, but have canned plenty of fruits and veggies.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We use a pressure cooker for all of our canning. We do not can meat however, but we do freeze it (we have a vacuum sealer). :)
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Meat MUST be pressure-canned. Water-bath canning simply does not get hot enough to kill all harmful bacteria. I use the Ball Canning Bluebook, as did my mother and grandmother before me.

Ha..spelling error...it BALL Canning...lol
  • chartel
    chartel Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree with Jarrettd. Bell Blue book is the way to go.
  • Rviernow
    Rviernow Posts: 16
    Options
    I use the Ball Blue book also. Meats must be pressure canned because of the bacteria and the fat.
  • chartel
    chartel Posts: 16
    Options
    It is actually Ball, not Bell. Damn you, Sylvia Plath!!!