Pain while jogging.

Options
Wondering if its common to have pain in your feet while jogging. I am just starting out (treadmill 1 minute jog 1 minute walking) and the pain in my feet is horrible.

Wearing Nike Free shoes.

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    No, it's not.

I can't wear Nikes because they mess up my feet. It's New Balance or Asics for me. I would suggest going to a running store and getting properly fitted for shoes to try to avoid serious problems down the line.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What sort of pain ?
    You need good fitting shoes for running/jogging. Do your nikes feel comfortable when exercising?
    If your feeling pain then stop and work out why, don't hurt yourself.

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    You should be more specific about what kind of pain we're talking about, but generally, no, it shouldn't hurt, especially if you're describing "horrible" pain. I agree that the most likely culprit is your shoes. It's really important for a running shoe to be the best fit for YOU and your foot and your stride.

Aren't Nike Free those "minimalist" shoes? I know there are opinions on both sides of this one, but IMHO, for a new runner, I think a supportive shoe is a better choice.

Sometimes when I'm just warming up, my feet ache some at the beginning of a run, and I think that may be kind of normal, but that doesn't sound like what you're talking about.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Listen to @evileen99 and @SwindonJogger and go to a reputable running store and get properly assessed and fitted for running shoes. One of the most common mistakes made by new runners is not getting the right shoes. I have read a couple of reviews for the Nike Free and I feel very confident in saying that these are not shoes for the NEW runner. Get some proper advice.
    igi4mm5rt7jh.jpeg

This is me at the end of the NOLA RnR 1/2 Marathon on February 28. No foot pain!!!
  • stevenmkelley
    stevenmkelley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nike Free are nice shoes, but they are no good for running if they are worn out. I had hip pain several years back that turned out to just be worn out shoes. In my experience, the cushioning wears out well before the soles show much wear. There are several articles on the Internet about how to determine whether your running shoes are worn out. Good luck!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Your shoes could certainly be the culprit, as Nike Frees are pretty minimalist (not much cushioning) and also neutral, which means that if you tend to overpronate for example, you might be better served in a pair of shoes that will provide more support for your particular gait. A running store can help you find a pair of shoes that will suit your feet and gait better, as foot pain is not normal or expected especially when running so little.

You may also have a problem with the way you run that's affecting your feet, but that's a lot harder to assist with over the internet. If you're running at a gym perhaps you could ask if there's a trainer who has the knowledge and might be able to have a look at what you're doing. You could also consider attending a learn to run clinic - most chain running stores have complimentary programs like that available that can be a real help if you're just beginning. Alternately, I think there are some subreddits on Reddit (maybe even r/running) that allow you to post a video of you running and will do a form check for you.

A lot of new runners also get pain from doing too much too fast but if you're starting off slowly and with intervals and experiencing pain right away (while you're running, not just afterwards) I'm thinking it's probably more likely to be your shoes or your footstrike that's to blame.

ETA: It's also worth keeping in mind that the heavier you are, the more stress on your feet when you run. I don't know if you are overweight or obese but if you are, that is certainly going to be a factor as well and another reason to look into a shoe with a lot more support and cushioning for the sake of your feet as well as your ankles, shins, and knees.
  • InigoAndTheVoid
    InigoAndTheVoid Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You might like the link below. I found it a while ago and it's a nice guide how to start running. It assumes you are starting off injured and can't run now. I found it particularly helpful because it talks about what pain is ok and when to back off.

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Patients_Visitors/pcs/rehabilitationservices/Physical-Therapy-Standards-of-Care-and-Protocols/LE - Running Injury Prevention Tips & Return to Running Program.pdf
  • momsgottalose2
    momsgottalose2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone
    the pain is almost like painful cramps on the bottom of my feet. if that makes any sense.