New Runner's Disappointment

Options
Hey guys. One of my biggest goals I want to accomplish along-side losing weight is becoming an everyday avid runner. I started off slow, roughly 2 months ago, only doing walking and running intervals. Most of it was walking. The problem is, I feel as though I've barely made any improvements. I keep trying to push myself to run for longer periods of time, but I feel as though I don't progress.
It's also puzzling because on the elliptical, I can maintain a high heart rate for a long time (in my opinion a long time) and could go for hours if I wanted to. And when I run it's the same way. The thing that bothers me is my legs... they take a beating. Is this normal for the amount of time I've been working on this? I have a decent pair of shoes and I stretch before-hand. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Heraci
    Heraci Posts: 23
    Options
    I think your best bet is to take a day off in between to allow your muscles to regenerate. I run three times a week and mix in strength training on the other three days in order to demand my muscles to do different things and allow certain parts of them to heal. I feel that it was worked much better to do double what I was doing daily and skip a day in between.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Define "take a beating" ... Do you mean shin splints or other?

I never saw myself as a runner because... well my body wasn't really ever made for it. But now I am able to sustain running without stopping for quite a distance.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Make sure the shoes are expertly fit and new... they only have a couple hundred miles in them until they need to be replaced. Also, take a rest day and only run every other day. Until you really start logging major miles, don't overdo it! I've been running 3 days a week for a year and only very recently added in a fourth day. Also, vary your runs. Do a short/easy run, a little longer/faster run, and a longer weekend easy run. This is what I've found with all the research I've done.

My other suggestion is to make yourself a goal. Do you want to run 5k? Sign up for one! Does a 10k interest you? Make it happen!!! Having a race goal helps me stay on track, and find yourself a training plan for that particular race... you will become a stronger, faster runner and won't injure yourself. That's the point after all... don't overdo and get injured!!!!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    try the C25K, I'm starting it Monday and I've heard that lots of people loved it
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I started out jogging for 15 second intervals in February and I can now run about 30 minutes, or 2.5 miles, at a time ;) I don't know how much running you're doing, but running can be really hard on your body...most running coaches recommend that beginners don't run every day, more like every other day and not usually more than 3 days a week, and that you do walk/run intervals to start (you can google Jeff Galloway or Couch25k.com or any of those types of programs for more info). Personally, I don't recommend stretching before you run--I might walk a lap or two or jog in place for a couple minutes, and I stretch very thoroughly after my run.

Good luck, and feel free to friend me--I love talking to other runners.

Ellen
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    Kay a few things based on what I have learned.

A lot of ppl can't run every day. Or ppl have said it's not the best to do so. I do know ppl that do, but you will definitely need breaks.

If your running outside ur body does take a beating. It's normal. Try stretching afterwards too. I'm 27 and NEVER had knee problems in my life but when I started to run they were aching like crazy. Since my proper stretching they have stopped and I'm fine.

If you have an iphone or blackberry, try downloading a couch to 5k app or a running app on ur phone. It has helping TONS of ppl on their journey to becoming a runner, including myself. Good free apps are runkeeper (runkeeper.com) or Nike had a good one that was a free download for a limited time. You still may be able to find it.

Finding a proper program to help you slowly progress to 5 or 10k will help you move towards ur goals without putting too much stress on ur body.

Good luck!! :)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Most runner programs suggest you only run every other day - your body (bones, tendons, muscles) needs to recover from the pounding you are putting it through. I run every other day - and try to take at least one 2 day period per week where I don't run. Otherwise my runs suffer. Cross train on the days you don't run (elliptical, yoga, swim... just don't run!)

If you're looking for a program, I highly recommend c210k (couch to 10k) or c25k (couch to 5k). It's helped LOTS of people become runners.

Worry about distance first, speed later. Most people try to go too fast and are unable to continue because they are pushing themselves too hard, too fast. I "run" just barely faster (3.5) than I walk (3.0) - BUT I can go for an hour (8min/2min intervals right now).
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I definitely notice a HUGE difference when I take at LEAST one day off in between runs (2.5 miles or more) and even better if I allow myself 2 days off. Your nutrition intake, water intake, overall health etc. also play into how you feel during a run. Eat a couple of eggs about 30 min before you go out and have some protein after you're finished...a shake, some meat, nuts, etc. Make sure your shoes fit right, check your form...are you running hard or jogging? My husband who is 6' 3" can power walk next to me while I run...this is what works for me...it's not fast but it puts my heart rate right up there where it needs to be and sometimes I even have to pull back a bit and let it get back down to my MAX. You might be pushing too hard. Just a thought.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have a more gradual program than c25k. It's a 10 week 3 day per week program. It has worked for dozens of my clients. I would be happy to share it, if you're interested. Most people also try too run to fast at first during their running intervals.

For body mechanics, do a mid foot strike, and imagine you are being lead by bungee cords at your pelvic bones and sternum, and do some core training (push ups, planks, funtional type strength training, Pilates are a few suggestions) Have a good runner check your posture, or often a good running store can do this. And do some single limb strength training, that target the glutes. Often these are weak, when compared to hamstrings or hip flexors. Do things like reverse lunges and single leg dead lifts.

I had to learn to run, to keep my job as a trainer at a gym. We had to pass a brutal fitness test twice a year. This worked for me, and now I run marathons.

let me know if you want more information. I just spoke to a group of beginning runners last week. They said they liked my program a little better than c25k because it was more gradual, but I have heard good results with c25k too.

Let us know more what your "intervals" are like. How fast? and how long are your walking breaks? And how many days per week do you do this?
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    try the C25K, I'm starting it Monday and I've heard that lots of people loved it

I would agree - find a program that will give you a schedule for how to increase the amount you are running. Also, try slowing down your pace - a lot of new runners try to work on both speed and endurance, but you really need to get to where you can run for a more extended time before working on the speed, and the slower you go, the longer you'll be able to run non-stop.

Also, get fitted for running shoes - this is the best investment you will ever make - the right shoes can make a big difference in remaining injury-free.

And, like others have said, don't run every day, especially when starting out. 3-4 days a week, tops. Even when you have more experience and time under your belt, you'll find most serious runners still take 1-2 days off a week to let their bodies recover. You can still cross-train on those other days if you like (in fact, cross training with strength training or another form of cardio will help to reduce injuries and complements your running).
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yep, all the above advice is what I would say! Try running every second day and make sure you go get your shoes fit by an expert. I went to a running room expert to buy shoes and found out a few years ago that my feet actually "prone" - when I finally bought shoes especially made for feet that prone, it made a whole world of difference when I run. I feel so light footed now!
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You might also try adding in some cross-training if you're wanting to exercise everyday but need to give your joints a break. I find when I put in some time on my bike (either outside or stationary), my running is better. It strengthens other muscles while keeping the heart-rate up and the calories burning. I've read the same for lap swimming although that won't have the same strengthening for your legs.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, DON'T get frustrated & quit. Yesterday was my 1st day running since last Friday. It was all I could do to run 3 miles & I was running 5 the previous Friday. When you take a break, you tire more easy. But, everyone needs a break. Some days my legs feel like they are just gonna collapse. They just feel SO heavy, like I'm lifting bricks....but, I DON'T stop. I just slow down, stay strong, & keep running on. I started out only 4 weeks ago & was running only 2 miles. Every week, I add a little more to my distance & now I usually run 4 to 5 miles @ a time. YOU can do it because it can be done.

Good luck! :)
  • lovelilavender
    Options
    First off, thank you so much for all the overwhelming advice!

I should have said that I have taken days off in between to see if that would help. And it has. I "cross train" as some of you put it, by doing the elliptical, arc trainer, or spinning on my off days. But I could be running too fast, as some of you suggested. Maybe I'll try running slower next time. And I'll definitely look for one of those programs to help me along.

My shoes on the other hand, are another story. I went to a "professional" running store to get mine fitted. I had no idea what "proning" meant or any of that kind of stuff. But the guy gave me a pair of shoes and said he knew what he was doing, so I trusted him. They've helped slightly, but I don't see much of a difference. Considering the salesman was in high school, I may want to get a second opinion. (Not saying anything negative about teens, it's just this one in particular wasn't exactly a winner).

Thank you all again for your overwhelming help and responses. I don't know what I'd do without this site/all of you! <3
  • haztam
    haztam Posts: 4
    Options
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Yeah, try to to get too discouraged. Elipiticals are just very low-impact to your knees and stuff whereas jogging is pretty high-impact. Try mixing it up between Eliptical and stead treadmill work. Instead of jogging try putting the treadmill as steep as you can comfortably hold a brisk walk and see how your legs respond.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time running too. Reading your first post really hit home. I am going to try it again and I'm glad I found this string. Good luck to you in meeting your running goal.

On the couch to 5k thing.........................My old childhood neighbor used to help all of us getting running using a similiar method 30-40 years ago. I was so surprised to find it is a "method". My neighbor used to run laps around me when I was in high school and he was in his 60s. It is a good way to get started.

Jeannie
  • Michelle_Murray
    Michelle_Murray Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also started running this year for the first time. There are a couple of things that have really helped me in my journey. First, I decided I wanted to do a 5k. So my best friend, who is an avid runner, helped me start training. I had extremely bad shin splints so Bengay became my best friend and I learned to run through it. I started with the Couch25k program but found myself moving faster through the program than the week I was on, so I stopped doing it and moved at my own pace. Having the 5k in mind helped me to be able to sustain running for a longer period of time. After my first 5k I signed up for another and starting using Gatorade Prime 20 minutes before running. That stuff is like magic. I pumps your body full of what you need to sustain the running and I am not exhausted anymore afterwards. Now I love running. I just keep signing up for races so that I keep up with it. I hope this helps. Keep up all the hard work! :)
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Get some REALLY good running shoes! Ones that have air cushions on the heel. I have two pair (A new pair and an older pair). I use the older pair on the long runs because they are broken in. The new pair I use on shorter runs (3.1 - 4.2) - until they get broken in...

Also, listen to your body. If you are hurting - take time off until you are not hurting. Use the website: http://www.mapmyrun.com to map and track your runs. The best advice I can give you about increasing distance is to make a LONG loop - dont do the same loop 2 or 3 times. At least for me - I get BORED when I pass up the same scenery over and over again.