How much water?!?

Options
Hi! I'm 215 pounds. I've been chugging water today. I've drank 64 oz. How much water should I be drinking each day? Trying to lose weight. Thanks for your help and insight!

Replies

• carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    64oz is the standard recommendation, so I'd say you're doing pretty well with hydrating yourself. For weight loss, as long as you're burning more calories than you consume by eating at a deficit (working out can assist) you'll start to lose the weight. Water can make you feel full if you drink a glass before you eat. It does for me, at least.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    The biggest factor in losing weight is calories.

You get enough fluids to keep yourself hydrated. It doesn't have to be water alone, necessarily - all liquids (barring alcoholic beverages) will hydrate you. If your drink has calories, though, you should log those calories and fit them into your goals.

You can judge your hydration based on your urine color:

8414092_f520.jpg
  • Thickthighjo
    Thickthighjo Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks so much @carmkizzle I was unsure. Definitely going to start back at the gym soon. Thanks so much again:)
  • Thickthighjo
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks Alyssa! That's very insightful! That chart is being saved! Thanks again
    @Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I aim for drinking no less than 2/3 of my body weight in oz.
  • Mom2JonandAlex
    Mom2JonandAlex Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I currently drink around 110oz of water a day and I feel like I am going to the bathroom every hour on the dot if not every 30 minutes some days, and I know I should be drinking an additional 80oz for my weight on top of what I already do (according to the calculation 2/3 of my current weight). Does your body eventually adjust to all that water? Because I've been at my weight loss journey for just under a year and it just feels like I have to pee ALL the time. Is it possible I am drinking too much?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I currently drink around 110oz of water a day and I feel like I am going to the bathroom every hour on the dot if not every 30 minutes some days, and I know I should be drinking an additional 80oz for my weight on top of what I already do (according to the calculation 2/3 of my current weight). Does your body eventually adjust to all that water? Because I've been at my weight loss journey for just under a year and it just feels like I have to pee ALL the time. Is it possible I am drinking too much?

Yes it sounds like you are drinking too much!
    Drink when you are thirsty. There is no sensible reason to drink clearly far more than you need.
    Drink enough (not just water) to keep hydrated and your urine a reasonable colour.

Drinking an excess of water won't cause you to lose more weight.

• amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 cups of water a day.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The chart is nifty but if you take any vitamins they can throw off the color of your urine completely.
  • Thickthighjo
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I always try to drink as much as I can stand. It helps keep me from overeating. I'm a teacher and I ALWAYS have to call someone to watch my class so I can go pee :smile: lol
    @Mom2JonandAlex
    @amandatapar
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I get at least 108 oz (my water bottle x4) of pure water everyday. The more you drink it the more you'll crave it, and I have found my body adjusted and I don't need to pee as often anymore. It's really difficult to have TOO much water, and I've found only good things from drinking more.
  • Mom2JonandAlex
    Mom2JonandAlex Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I will scale back a bit I think! Keep it between 60-80oz, which I felt better at! :)
  • aprilbyrd2014
    aprilbyrd2014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think the rule of thumb is 8.../8 ounce glasses of water a day
  • aprilbyrd2014
    aprilbyrd2014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think the rule of thumb is 8.../8 ounce glasses of water a day ...good luck
  • Thickthighjo
    Options
    @aprilbyrd2014 thanks!
  • christinaoneal1213
    christinaoneal1213 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer tell me to drink the ounces I weigh in water. So I do it but I do have to pee alot. It has helped me with my cravings and to not snack so much!! Plus I do crave it all the time now.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    okay how the heck are you 200+... you look 100.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    Options
    water def helps with hunger pains. i must say. ♥
  • angelamichelle_xo
    Options
    people also say your weigh halved is how much you should drink.