Healthy eating: dislike fruit and veg...

Options
No back lash please....

Any idea what I can eat that's relatively healthy without fruit and veg? Don't want to live on soup for the rest of my life

Replies

• PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of ways to eat healthful without soup and many ways to eat fruit and veg without just soup.

Is it that you don't like any fruits or vegetables? Can't afford them? I'm curious.

Lean proteins like tofu, chicken, fish and eggs
    Whole grain bread and high fiber cereals
    steel cut oats
    brown rice, quinoa, barley
    Sweet potatos
    Whole wheat pasta and homemade sauce (if you don't like veggies, you can puree them into the sauce so they are invisible)
    I don know if you're counting beans as a "vegetable" but chickepeas, black beans, kidney and navy beans, all are tasty options
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    You can make your own trail mixes with a combination of nuts and seeds, dried fruit if you'll eat that

Life is pretty limited without fruit and veggies. You are missing out on so much! Not judging, but just going to list a few fruit and veg options that are so yummy!

berries on your cereal and oats
    tons of delicious salad recipes
    bananas
    tasty apples with PB to dip
    juicy clementines
    carrots as a vessel for yummy hummus
    grapes
    cherry tomatoes
    avocado on toast

• Selkie_Runner
    Selkie_Runner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    xxkarliexx wrote: »
    No back lash please....

Any idea what I can eat that's relatively healthy without fruit and veg? Don't want to live on soup for the rest of my life
    Have you tried them all? I find it quite unbelievable that you dislike every fruit and vegetable in existence. Don't be closed mind and think that you hate them all. Experiment with different ones and different recipes. You do not dislike all fruits and veggies you've just told yourself you do in order to put barriers up

Good Luck

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You just have to get used to them. Follow some of the tips you've already gotten in this thread.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Sneak the vegetables into your food. Two ways I can think of are adding shredded vegetables to something like meatloaf, and adding vegetables to pizza and spaghetti sauce. In fact, you can make "pasta" from zucchini (once the sauce is added I really can't tell the difference.)

These ideas are mostly for kids but they work equally well with adults:
    http://thrivinghomeblog.com/2012/10/5-simple-ways-to-sneak-fruits-and-vegetables-into-your-kids-food/
    http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/kids_cooking/going_stealth
    http://greatist.com/health/40-unexpected-ways-add-veggies-meal
    http://www.thesneakychef.com/

I used some of these tips with my kids and my daughter uses a lot of them with my grandsons. The middle grandson is a picky eater (as was she) but most of the tips work.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fruit doesn't matter (although it is delicious), but keep trying vegetables and new ways to cook them until you find ways you like them. Supposedly people have to try things a bunch of times to like them, so parents not pushing them means people end up not developing a taste for them, and also lots of people get turned off by bad cooking or canned varieties.

What do you like? That can be helpful in planning a healthful diet (although I really do think vegetables are important to include for most).
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you do eat veg in soup then. How about incorporating it in chili and stew? I put tons of onion, bell peppers (all colors) and celery in my chili. It adds, fiber and nutrients and lets me have a big bowl without adding too many calories.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    ellivort gave you some great recommendations.

Do you like tomato sauce on pizza and pasta? It is really easy to sneak a few veggies (onion, garlic, bell pepper) into a tomato sauce without really tasting them.

You should also try preparing veggies different ways. I think most veggies taste way better roasted than boiled. You can put some cheese or other sauce on them to help with the flavor.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Many of your micro vitamins and minerals are going to come from veg and fruit...so I'd be hard pressed to describe a diet that was lacking in these things as healthy.

There are tons of different kinds of veggies out there and a million and one ways to cook and prepare them.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Meat lovers pizza. Great macros distribution, no fruits or veggies unless you want to.
  • Samrny
    Samrny Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Seriously, do what I do and sneak them into your food. If you have an SO ask them to sneak it into your food. I got myself to eat carrots by putting them in (low fat low sugar whole grain) muffins, and that's how I sneak in one veggie!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »
    Meat lovers pizza. Great macros distribution, no fruits or veggies unless you want to.

Tomato sauce?

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Green veggies, Turkey, Almonds/macadamia nuts. Coconut oil, Kerrygold butter, Eggs, bacon.....mmmmm
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Now I want pizza.

On topic, though - there are a bazillion different kinds of fruits and vegetables and many of them taste very different. I admit to going "Ugh, vegetables," but then when I sit down and think about individual kinds of vegetables, it turns out there are a whole lot that I like.

What kind of soup are you eating that doesn't have vegetables in it? Is it homemade? Are you just drinking broth? I don't know that I've seen a commercial brand of soup that has literally no vegetables in it.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Homemade soups, chilies and stews, I put in shredded zucchini and you can't even tell it's there. Diced and roasted eggplant takes on whatever flavors you're cooking it in, I enjoy it in spaghetti sauce.

If you're willing to experiment, you will find ways you enjoy some veggies. It would take time and commitment.

This isn't a lecture, this is coming from a mom that's helped multiple anti veggie children find ways to enjoy veggies.

Otherwise, the list right after you posted has healthy options.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I think that I would die without fruits and vegetables. It wasn't always the case. Days where I don't get 5 servings are rare. You can always change if you give it a chance.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Read a study today that said it takes introducing a new food item to children 17 times before they like it. Some things are just acquired tastes, retraining. Also some veggies taste beat fresh outta the garden. Lots of veg/fruits in the super markets lack flavor, juice, and just plain taste bitter when they shouldn't really.