do you know how much salt is in a Pickle?!!

Options
I was just about to log off for the day (at work) and thought, "oh, i didn't enter that pickle that i had with my sandwich at lunch... so let's do that before i forget..."

now, my food entry is set to track calories, sodium and iron (i'm watching my cal and sod, but actually trying to improve iron).

1 large dill pickle = 0 cal and 0 iron
but over 840 mg of sodium!!!

I never would have guessed that :(

I guess no more pickles with my sandwich;
very similarly, no more olives in my salad

oh well, you win some and you loose some
and i'm willing to give these things up in order to WIN THIS ONE :)

Replies

• bfnp
    bfnp Posts: 58
    Options
    You could be like Martin lawrence in bad Boys and just rinse it off in your drink. That works, right? lol
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    That is why i use the baby whole dill pickles. They have 280 and it satisfies the craving.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I LOVE PICKLES!!! So much so that I ate 3 of the huge dills in one sitting - filled me up so much I didn't eat dinner.

Logged it.

HOLY. CRAP.

Tripled my sodium for the day.

Big, delicious dill pickles... you are dead to me now. :sad:
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    depends on the brand, some are lower in sodium and some are higher for some strange reason, for example the ones i get are 220 mg of sodium per pickle, not too high but not low either...
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love pickles and olives too, and I gave them up just for that very same reason. I figure once in awhile is okay, but I love them so much that I decided not to keep them in the house. I guess once I've reached my goal it'll be okay to have them again :)
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I love pickles...relish, yum!

The sodium is too outrageous
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have been watching my sodium but the other day I was having really bad cramps in my legs. My neighbors daughter is an athletic trainer. I called her and she made me drink a glass of pickle juice. I thought she was crazy but did it. 2 min later the cramps stopped. She said I was probably low. Of course my sodium for the day was 3X's what It normally is.
    I guess you can all pray for leg cramps?
  • dominionite
    dominionite Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    thanks for the posts guys...
    i don't like salt, never have... once bought a box that lasted 10 years... kept packing it everytime i moved. LOL

recently i've developed some very intense food allergies causing digestive problems.
    ... and i started craving salt... seriously craving it. I asked my doc and he said that it was due to the lack of minerals in my system caused by the digestion troubles...

i've figured all that out now and things are great; but i'm left still wanting Salt! It's become my "crack" and pickles are my "pusher" LOL

just one more thing I CAN HANDLE, right?
  • djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    Maybe I'm just really dumb...but I am not worried about water retention, and I have very low blood pressure, so I don't see the problem with sodium. I love pickles!
    Am I missing something?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I gave up pickles because of the sodium even though I love them...so sad to see them sitting uneaten on my plate!
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love pickles so much. Ive heard about pickles that are pickled in horseradish but I have only found them online not in any stores. They have SIGNIFICANTLY less sodium. I am going to order a pack and see if they are any good.
  • dominionite
    dominionite Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    djkymba --> If sodium isn't a problem, then go ahead, have your pickle... for me - no more, no way...
    At least until i find the low sodium ones someone suggested.

NA_Willie --> As far as the horseradish pickles, if you order them please post your findings :)