Looking for Friends for Mutual Support and Motivate

Spreadingsmiles
Spreadingsmiles Posts: 8 Member
edited September 28 in Motivation and Support
Hi everyone! I've been on and off the bandwagon numerous times. Over the past 10 years I've ranged between a low of 175 with a 32" waist to max of 285 with a 44" inch waist. Since January, I've lost almost 30 pounds, but have already gained 27 back. A total loss of 3 pounds since January is not quite as motivating. In fact, It's just plain frustrating. I LOVE food, especially sweets. I have no strong motivation to exercise either. So that's a double whammy. I would love some friends who have had similar experiences to chat with and encourage each other. We could share failures and successes and help to motivate each other to stay strong and cheer for each other with each success. It helps to not do this alone. Please message me and/or friend me if you'd like to have some group support.
Thanks for listening,
Spreadingsmiles (Tom)

Replies

• CoachKaren
    CoachKaren Posts: 90
    DONT give up! Sweets are my downfall too. YOU can do this!
  • shellyb1229
    shellyb1229 Posts: 26 Member
    Good luck to you. You will find MFP a wonderful resource tool for motivation, recipes, cheerleaders, all that will be helpful on your life changing journey. Remember it is not a diet but a change in your lifestyle. Being accountable for my food and exercise has been extremely helpful.
  • Jjames1978
    Jjames1978 Posts: 39 Member
    I sent ya a friend request!
  • Jjames1978
    Jjames1978 Posts: 39 Member
    Good luck to you. You will find MFP a wonderful resource tool for motivation, recipes, cheerleaders, all that will be helpful on your life changing journey. Remember it is not a diet but a change in your lifestyle. Being accountable for my food and exercise has been extremely helpful.

I wish we had a like button, cause I love this comment, I say the same thing all the time!
  • Tom

I know how you feel have always gained back everything I lost plus sometimes more. Then reality set in Type 2 diabetes.
    Found the only way to lose the weight is to get my backside off the couch and go to the gym - book a personal trainer the thought of having someone you pay to make you train whether you turn up or not is a great motivator. I started with three sessions a week and have kept off the weight for two years.
    I have cut down to 1-2 sessions a week and am maintaining my weight I still go up and down but only between 1-2 kilos (sorry I am in Australia we dont do pounds).
    Sweets are my downfall so now I dont buy them unless its for a specific event eg birthday, guests etc.

Keep strong and good luck.
    Cheers
    Linda
  • simplysonya
    simplysonya Posts: 12 Member
    Hang in there! I just posted today that I strayed away from myfitnesspal because I was so not motivated and I just wanted to eat what I wanted to eat. I was off for less than a month and gained 4lbs. Well, I've been back for less than two weeks and I've already lost it all. It helps. It can be a pain sometimes and a little annoying to have to log what you eat or your exercise, but it is quite rewarding and well worth it! :happy:
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Hi! I was the same as you, no real motivation, but always complained about how unhappy I was with myself. I remember reading something that said that once you start going to the gym, and force it to be your routine, eventually you will want to go! I thought at the time what a bunch of BS, I've been a member of a gym for as long as I can remember and I never had motivation to go! But I decided to try again, I joined a new gym (a much more expensive one with the thought that the money would be a motivator in itself..not to waste it) and I forced myself to go atleast 3-4 days a week. It took a good 2 or 3 months but it really happened. I now go 6 days a week....and I get upset if I miss a day! I WANT to go! I still can't believe this is me saying that! Sticking with it is the key...until it becomes so routine that you feel odd if you dont do it! Its been the same with food. My issue wasnt sweets, but other things I didnt think I could live without. Now my body doesnt want the bad stuff any more and I dont miss it! I have not given up everything, I just change the way I eat, and the portions.
    Hope it works for you this time. You know you can do it already, its just sticking with it and finding the balance that works for you! Good luck!
  • Spreadingsmiles
    Thanks CoachKaren! I avoided them altogether yesterday. I had a little splurge today, but I think I need that taste from time to time. I'm trying to find some low fat or low calorie chocolate that I can just have a taste of to satisfy my craving.
  • Spreadingsmiles
    Great tip ShellyB! I keep hearing about the lifestyle. I want so badly to make it a common, everyday thing, without having to think of it. I just need to give it more time.
  • Spreadingsmiles
    I sent you a message Jjames! Great quote. Too bad myfitnesspal wasn't hooked up to FaceBook as a group of some sort.
  • Spreadingsmiles
    Linda,
    First, I love Australian accents. :happy: Second, I appreciate your post. I found out from my doctor that I'm in that range for Type 2 Diabetes as well. It's all that darn sugar. I try to avoid eating it, but I crave those sweets so badly. I just wish the craving would go away. I'd love a personal trainer. I've thought about it over and over. That would definitely motivate me to get off the couch. I just can't afford one right now. Perhaps I just need to make a friend at my gym and plan to meet up with them. This way I don't let them down. It would force me to go. I'm a very outgoing person, but I don't always feel very comfortable at a gym. :cry:
    Tom
  • Spreadingsmiles
    Thanks Sonya! I did do better when I took the time to log in my diary. I just have to keep on that.
  • Spreadingsmiles
    Thanks ejmcam! Your post is encouraging. I hate the gym. I do it consistently for a while, then I drop out. I'm probably not giving it long enough to keep it routine. I'd love to get to the point that I'd be made if I couldn't make it to the gym. I just have to stick to it, no matter how hard it is.
This discussion has been closed.