What do you consider a "good" workout?

Options

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If I do everything as planned and feel good during and after, I consider it a good workout. If I hit any PRs or feel particularly pumped or like I really pushed myself, I consider it a great workout.

I don't factor in sweat. It's temperature regulation. If I sit in a sauna and sweat, I'm not getting a good workout. If I kill it in my garage gym when it's 60 degrees in there and don't sweat a single drop, that doesn't mean I didn't have a good workout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My programming and training schedule don't always call for balls to the wall workouts so a good workout is one that builds on my overall training protocol...I tend to look at the protocol overall and what my training is doing long term to help me achieve my fitness goals...going balls out all of the time isn't really going to help me accomplish my overall fitness objectives...I have to allow for rest and I have to allow for less intensive recovery workouts, etc and I have to realize that in the bigger picture, these things are beneficial to my longer term fitness goals...so I really am not thinking about, "ermrgrd I didn't sweat enough on that one"...I have a plan and I stick to the plan as much as possible.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    What are your criteria to consider a workout a "good" workout? For me, I feel like I have to really push myself to feel like I got the most out of my workout. If I'm not sweating like crazy and my muscles don't feel tired, I consider it merely an okay workout.
    Just curious how you guys rank your workouts.

I would pretty much agree with your description, minus the part about sweat.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    I plan every workout and the good workouts are the ones where I complete the plan, simple as that - sweating, breathing hard, etc do not count (I usually am not breathing hard after a lifting workout but I will definitely be breathing hard after a HIIT workout) - planning the work and working the plan constitutes a good workout.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I keep a training log with a rating system for each run as a variety of smiley face. I do a smiley ( :) ) or super smiley ( :D ) if I feel strong, hit target paces, and feel like I could keep going when I get done. So if I nail my easy pace on a recovery run: smiley face. If I finish a speed workout and nail my target paces and feel strong: super smiley.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I work out before going to school (I'm a principal). If I catch myself still taking the occasional deep breath during 2nd period, I know I had an amazing workout.
  • simlovgin960831
    simlovgin960831 Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A 30 minute piano practice, followed by a 30 minute yoga session, almost daily. And a habit of always taking the two flights of stairs, at a run, in the assisted living community, where I live. With this, I always feel like I get a good enough workout.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Each workout you do can achieve a goal or an objective for that day.

For example some days long distance runners do a recovery run which is a low intensity workout and may not even yield a perceived perspiration.

Both are good workouts because they achieved a goal for that day. So yeah hope that helps!

Other days are much more higher intensity with heavy breathing and sweating profusely!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    A good workout to me is just about any workout I did with focus and the best form I can have. Sometimes I can't add weight, sometimes I'm down a rep or can't add a set. That doesn't make it a bad workout and I have to remind myself of that. Focus, preparation, and being consistent are key for me.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    When I complete my programmed reps and sets. Simple as that.

Just to add, most days I leave training feelin like I could do my whole training session again, yet I hit every rep of every set at the prescribed percentage. Other days it takes 6 hours to feel human again after training because I pushed so hard. Both are good days, because they are moving me forward along the game plan
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    A good workout to me are the days I beat my PRs, learn something new &/or know I completed what I planned to do for long term consistent development. Each successful workout is one more brick in meeting my goals.
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Typically I do my best to never grind through any repetitions in training. I feel it trains poor movement patterns. A good workout is simply achieving the goal of that day whether it be a new 1rm on a log press or a new 20rm on a squat or simply getting a good amount of repetition work on to lead to a new pr down the road. I'm not a fan of feeling like I went through a meatgrinder often. I called those Mother Effer workouts and keep them to 1-2 a month
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    All my workouts are good workouts, because I could have just sat on the couch.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Any workout that's been done.

No matter how *kitten* it is... It's still good that I did it.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    T_X_L wrote: »
    All my workouts are good workouts, because I could have just sat on the couch.

Truth!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    One where I lift more that I did last work out.

This. Really whether it's lifting, running, how many sit-ups I can do, etc. - it's when I'm pushing myself and achieving my new "best" at whatever it is.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I like to feel utterly exhausted after each workout where I'm completely spent, most times I'm drenched in sweat from cardio and the muscle group I've worked just can't push anymore. That doesn't always mean that I'm sore, just used up for the time being.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    If I feel good at the end, tired and relaxed and feel like I've stopped thinking, that's a good workout.

Agree!!!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    One where I lift more that I did last work out.

This. Really whether it's lifting, running, how many sit-ups I can do, etc. - it's when I'm pushing myself and achieving my new "best" at whatever it is.

<Fist bump>
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What are your criteria to consider a workout a "good" workout?

Whether I delivered against the objectives or not, whether that is time, pace, distance etc.