To lose 25 pounds in 6 months..

Options
Lost 4-5 pounds since the beginning of this year with minimal workouts & normal eating.. Have got to lose 25 pounds in the next 6 months.. I want to stick to losing 1 pound per week.. What is one best advice that you can give me to make sure I stay on track these next 6 months..

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out if you have less than 1 pound loss weeks or even gain one week. The idea behind eating in an approximately 500 calorie per day deficit is to lose a pound a week on average over the long term, not at every single weigh-in.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Focus on making small changes in your eating patterns that you can sustain for a lifetime rather than short term "dieting."
  • ctrygrldwn2erth
    ctrygrldwn2erth Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Walking 2 miles a day will help keep you on track to lose 1 to 1.5 lbs a week even with a normal diest.it takes about 30 mims to 1 hour depending on your daily walking habits to do that.
  • Mydailytrack
    Mydailytrack Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. Small calorie deficit daily adds up..you won't be starving or moody because it will only be a small percentage of calories you are deducting from your daily intake. Add as much exercise as you want and those exercise calories are yours to eat or save.. Its math, record food honestly and set your plan up, stick to it. There will be bad days, compensate the next day. You will reach your goal. :) Good luck
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    What happens if you don't make it?

I'm not saying you won't, necessarily. But what happens IF you don't?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will work for you, but I find that the further out my goals are, the more I procrastinate on them.
    I found it helped me to, instead of focusing on losing 25 pounds in 6 months, focus on losing 5 pounds in one month. Then, the month after, do it again. Now, I've lost fifteen pounds in three months, and am on target (give or take a pepperoni pizza that I just caved in and ordered) for five pounds this month. :) Keep baby goals and meet them in short term, and it might less overwhelming than making big goals that are long-term.
  • Mydailytrack
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I need this reinstatement. I'm losing track suddenly after 2 months! Please add more..

• Mydailytrack
    edited March 2016
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    What happens if you don't make it?

I'm not saying you won't, necessarily. But what happens IF you don't?

I don't even want to imagine that.. I just want to lose my weight.. Want to experience what it is like to reach my target weight/size.. So need a lot of push! At the same time, don't want to rush on this in a unhealthy way & end up with more problems.. I really owe this to myself..
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I did lose that much in that time frame, but this isn't a drive thru window... You can't expect to whiz thru & order up your weight loss. Bodies are somewhat subtle & inscrutable that way. Loss is rarely 100% linear. It's great to have goals, don't get me wrong! Just match your goals to the proper outlets, eg 'in six months I want to be well established in my weight loss habits of X, Y, and Z'... Or, 'my ultimate goal is to lose 25 lbs.'
    See what I did there? You can totally achieve both, but you can't expect it on demand. Also be aware the closer you get to your goal weight the slower that weight might shift. I seem to be losing closer to half a pound a week now that I'm within 20 lbs of my goal. So instead of obsessing on that I entertain myself with fitness goals or nutritional goals, etc.
  • Mydailytrack
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I did lose that much in that time frame, but this isn't a drive thru window... You can't expect to whiz thru & order up your weight loss. Bodies are somewhat subtle & inscrutable that way. Loss is rarely 100% linear. It's great to have goals, don't get me wrong! Just match your goals to the proper outlets, eg 'in six months I want to be well established in my weight loss habits of X, Y, and Z'... Or, 'my ultimate goal is to lose 25 lbs.'
    See what I did there? You can totally achieve both, but you can't expect it on demand. Also be aware the closer you get to your goal weight the slower that weight might shift. I seem to be losing closer to half a pound a week now that I'm within 20 lbs of my goal. So instead of obsessing on that I entertain myself with fitness goals or nutritional goals, etc.

Thanks Scolaris! Definitely worth noting your points. I think I know where I'm lacking & I think you just nailed it. I need to work on other areas first & then I might be lucky to reach my main goals.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it! (Source: I lost about that amount of weight in that amount of time.) Keep logging, be HONEST about what you're logging. If you're able, make sure to keep at exercise. (I greatly attribute discovering a love of running as one of my top reasons I've maintained over a year later.)

Another tip that helped me: break it up by month. 25 pounds in 6 months may feel daunting, so maybe concentrate on what you need to do for MARCH. One month at a time!

You've got this ;)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I lost 27 pounds but it took 8 months. The simplest way to succeed is...don't quit. Eating at even a small calorie deficit will ensure you keep losing. You may not lose a pound a week, and it may take you longer than 6 months, but it WILL come off if only you don't quit.
  • Mydailytrack
    Options
    Thanks thanks thanks everyone for all the motivation!! Thanks for sharing your examples too.. Getting to learn something from this thread today!!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I am also going to try the one month at a time focus.