Deadlift weight

Options
I'm 6'1" and 200lbs, today I maxed at 275 on the deadlift. I've been working out for 2 months now on legs and have been wondering if that is usual to have a low deadlift or is it decent?

Replies

• sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In 2 months doing 275 is right on track. Bear in mind once you hit 315 consistently adding weight to the deadlift will take time and effort. I just did 495 on sunday at a bw of 210lbs after I did 650lb yoke walk. It was a lifetime PR but it took me almost 4 years to achieve it.
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's not about where you start though it's where you end.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Two months. Not bad. If you're consistently adding weight you're on track right?
  • SugarBear617
    SugarBear617 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Small consistent gains equal large results!
  • johnlafleur96
    johnlafleur96 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm looking continue in adding weight to a certain extent, good to know I'm on the right track thanks you two!
  • Da_Chozen_Juan
    Da_Chozen_Juan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Are you on a bulk, eating at maintenance? I've been lifting for a year (entirely on a caloric deficit) and am able to hit 225 for triplets. So compared to me, your progressing just fine lol.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the thief of joy. Are you doing better than you were before? Then you're doing great.

But really, 275 after two months is awesome!
  • johnlafleur96
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight ATM was at 245 and was super fat a year ago so I dont have much muscle, I'm trying to add muscle and lose fat. I dont wanna compare with anyone, especially because most of you on here are beasts on the lifts! @Da_Chozen_Juan
  • johnlafleur96
    Options
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can't judge your progress or performance with the number of pounds you lift, It is too subjective and unique for everyone. There is much more involved in lifting than muscle size, such as lifting form and how you are put together physically.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Yeah 2 months is a great progression. I just hit 345 at 174lbs just this last week. Which took me a year to hit starting at about 223 when I first started deadlifting
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's great progress in 2 months.

Just bear in mind that everyone progresses quickly at the start. Once the progress slows down and you have to settle in for the long haul, that's when you really find out what you're made of.

As others have said a number on the bar is irrelevant to everyone else apart from you. If it is a reflection of your hard work and an improvement over where you were months or years ago, then it's fantastic. You have to find intrinsic value in this kind of stuff or else it will ultimately become hollow.

• Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    5'10
    186 LBS

My 1 rep max on deads is 330 and I did it once months ago and haven't been able to replicate it since. So in reality 320-325 is probably my true max. Of all the compound lifts I struggle to progress on Deads the most. Lately I've been keeping it light and just focusing on form and trying to build up the stabilizing muscles more before I go back to trying to improve my 1 rep max. But I feel you, I've seen others on here similar weight and height to me doing 100's of pounds more and it can be discouraging. So instead I use it as fuel to try and improve. Also I'll focus on the success I've had in my other compound lifts where I tend to be ahead of the curve.
  • Da_Chozen_Juan
    Da_Chozen_Juan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight ATM was at 245 and was super fat a year ago so I dont have much muscle, I'm trying to add muscle and lose fat. I dont wanna compare with anyone, especially because most of you on here are beasts on the lifts! @Da_Chozen_Juan
    Same. Jan 1st of 2015 I was 250lb. Now I'm 178. Since you recently started lifting, you can do both at the same time fairly easy. Once you max out on noob gains as I have, the gains will slow down by a lot if you continue to do both simultaneously.

• mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    great result after 2 months!!! Get on a recognized strength program and keep going. 531 worked well for me, I've added nearly 20kg in 9 month. Patience and consistency is the key.