Binge eating at night

Options
I eat to well balanced meals and snacks all day and most nights I struggle with not eating at night.
Sometimes I make it through the time right before bed but then I wake up around 12 or 1 am and eat.
I know there's something comforting to me about going to sleep on a full stomach.
I work out and eat protein in my meals and healthy small snacks. I try and stop eating around 6 or 7pm.
Any suggestions on how to stop this binge eating right before I hit the hay?

Replies

• Bench_Bunny
    Bench_Bunny Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Try casein protein powder, that used to help me with feeling full and curving cravings at night. Good luck!
  • maggiemay241
    maggiemay241 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Drink as much water as you can after you stop eating at the end of the day and try hot tea if you feel the need for something else. Whenever I get really hungry at night if I can fill my belly up with something warm, even if it's just liquid, it really helps me keep on track.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Rearrange your day so you have calories for a bedtime snack?

It may seem counter-intuitive, but for me, I'm less crave-y at night if I get a good, solid breakfast with plenty of protein, and also get enough protein through the day.

But people tend to be different in what eating schedule works best for them, as well as what foods/macros (within a healthy range, of course) make them feel full and satisfied.

It's good to experiment with your meal timing (3 meals vs 3 meals plus snacks vs. 5 small meals; which meals are bigger or smaller, that sort of thing).

It may also be helpful to experiment with meal composition to see what makes you feel satisfied & keeps you full/satiated until the next meal. Some people feel better with relatively more protein, some with more fat, some require carbs while others find carbs bring on cravings, and some people like high volume/low calorie foods (which are mostly veggies).

Try a variation for a day or two; if it doesn't help, try something else.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I can eat great all day, then later all I want to do is snack. Even though it is healthy food, like raw almonds and fruit, I can't lose weight when I eat all those extra calories.

Lately I have just been saying NO to myself. This is the little talk I have with myself. "You looked and felt great when you were fifteen pounds slimmer just a year ago. Great job on eating healthy during the day. Now stop noshing after dinner, and you'll make it!."

The past two days it worked, now I hope I can keep doing it! And good luck to you, I hope you find your solution.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Stop- stop eating so early before bed. There's nothing wrong with going to bed on a full stomach. I also don't really recommend drinking tons of water before bed unless you want to be up peeing in the middle of the night. Try rearranging things and having a snack closer to bed time and see how it works for you and how you feel.
  • jdabrowski94
    jdabrowski94 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I second the last comment. Eat before bed, and make it something filling that is high in fiber or protein like fruit or a Greek yogurt or popcorn. There are no proven studies that eating before bed is bad for weight loss as long as your daily calories are the same. I hope that helps!
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You CAN eat at night. Just save some calories for something you really like to eat at night. I love, love, love a glass of wine in the late evening. I leave room for it. If I have extra calories I'll add some chips or crackers. Yum! I just make sure it fits with my maintenance calories.