Binge Eating at Night

Options
For some reason I have been binge eating after work to the tune of about 800 calories at a time (1/2) of my daily calories. I can't seem to stop myself and feel totally out of control and helpless. I don't even feel hungry when I do this and I don't take any pleasure in the food. Strategies? Commiserating? Just feeling really disappointed and angry at myself. It feels like split personality disorder, as though I'm trying to sabotage myself. I go all day eating appropriately, feeling good, and then it all goes away when the sun goes down. It is especially upsetting because I have succeeded in the past consistently, but I just can't seem to get back in that groove. I feel like I need to do something drastic like get rid of all my desserts, but I doubt I could stick to that (it's all desserts yo).

P.S. Curse you girl scout cookies

Replies

• SNYPorter
    SNYPorter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just rejoined and saw your note, I have been in the same situation many times Its because its an addiction to the sugar and you can't help it until you break the cycle. I saw a Dr/ recently and am pre diabetic with side effects. I have to do this to live. I have to give my my blood sugar every day and my meals it is helping so far. I also joined dr Hyman eat fat to lose weight program starting soon. We need all the support we can get. Don't give up, start reading and learning what sets you off. You are not alone and good luck!!
  • hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am in exact same boat - there are nights when I just cannot stop eating, and its not just sugary food, its just any food. Now I try to drink a glass of water, or start reading a book or try to do something that I love. Trying to distract myself - it helps some times. Also being aware that its happening happens, then I can have a mental struggle with myself that I am not really hungry and its all mental and it will pass.
  • toovodz
    toovodz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can be really bad at this around when I'm premenstrual it undoes all my efforts. I've started making protein balls and 3 ingredient banana cacao and agave brownies so at least if it happens I'm not just eating rubbish. Or I'll take a banana to bed. It's hard x
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    What about making a smoothie? It should be lower in calories and more filling than cookies. I tend to feel ridiculously full after drinking a whole smoothie especially one that has quite a thick consistency.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this in the past to the point that I felt I was on the verge of binge eating disorder (BED).

My suggestions are below but I'll say up front that this is a complex area, and for some is routed in emotional eating as much as (as was for me) a more practical control issue. Be very careful and think hard about the frequency of your episodes and how they effect your life. If they are happening increasingly and/or some common sense tips such as those below do not improve the situation I would strongly advise you investigate BED thoroughly.
    • Do not exclude any foods from your diet - there are no good foods or bad foods. It's just food.
    • Do not set an unrealistic or rapid weight loss goal - slow and steady gives you more calories and ensures a better chance of adherence.
    • Do not beat yourself up about a binge. Accept it and move on - Do not try to starve yourself back on track or spend a ridiculous amount of time working out to compensate.
    • Allocate your daily calories wisely - allow yourself some treat style foods (within your calorific budget) and ensure that you have sufficient calories available to you at your danger times (for you that would be in the evening).

Best wishes
  • rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support! I will try to eat something healthy when I'm craving something unhealthy at night and see how it goes!
  • Jennifer10229
    Jennifer10229 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I struggle daily with this also! It's a terrible cycle and unfortunately usually emotional not necessarily about the food. Good luck and know your not alone!!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Will power is finite. By the time evening comes around, it's hard to keep on track. I personally have snacks built into my day so I can look forward to them. It takes time, but try to find non food related ways to release stress and have preplanned snacks and treats available. I like to prep snacks in containers for such purposes. I like to think of food as being on a nutrition spectrum. Nothing is good or bad, just more or less nutrious. Fit food into you day that makes you happy and that is nutrious. They don't always coincide and that's OK.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Find a dessert with a better profile like berries with whip cream, frozen banana coated with dark chocolate and rolled in peanut pieces or chopped apples with plain Greek yogurt vanilla and cinnamon. The fiber and protein will help you not get the huge sugar spike of a Girl Scout cookie.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Something that you may want to consider:

I took a guess at your stats (profile says 27 YO, I've guessed you're 5'6" and your start weight was 260lb with 24 lost so far giving you a current wt of 236lb). Looking at your exercise diary you seem to be Lightly active - exercise 1-3 times per week.

This gives you a net (including exercise) cals intake of 2506 to maintain and 2006 to lose 1lb per week.

Even if you decide not to eat back your exercise calories you'd be looking at 1687 to lose 1lb per week but you seem to be routinely logging 1400 or so.

My experience is that when I eat low I struggle to stay out of the snacks cupboard in the evening and that upping my daily calories (and slowing down the rate of loss) helped me to be more compliant and, ironically, gave me better loss in the long term than a more aggressive loss for a few days then a "blow out".

• StealthHealth
    Options
    Additional: I personally don't agree with the concept of tackling a craving with a healthier version. If I'm craving a slice of cake then a substitute is never going to hit the mark for me - I can eat something similar but lower in calories and I'll still want the cake!! In this instance I will promise myself a slice or really excellent quality cake soon, probably the next day or so. Or, if my diary permits, I'll have some cake there and then. Sometimes I intentionally work a few treats into my week to ensure that I don't start to crave something. I eat some chocolate nearly every day for example and did so even when eating 1600 cals per day (which is a deep cut for a 5 day per week gym going male).

There is a theory that some people develop trigger foods which, if they have one (in this example) slice of cake they will crave more and more. If this applies to you then my technique would obviously be void and you would be better substituting for something else. But, in that instance you will have to make the decision never to have that food again in your whole life (similar to an alcoholic with drink) or risk another binge or series of binges. Not a great position to be in.

Best wishes
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    This is one of my biggest problems. It always seems like the best idea on the world to scarf down endless calories of something in the middle of the night. Even to this day I struggle with controlling my late night eating.

The only thing that has helped me is to just not keep any snack food in the house. I keep all my snacks at work (that's the only place I need to snack anyway). Still, I can't tell you how many times I've wandered through the kitchen in the middle of the night looking for something to eat, even when there's nothing there. But so far it's kept me from going out of control.

I have a long list of foods I have to keep out of the house because it WILL turn into a binge. I'm not exactly sure what sort of force takes over my brain in the middle of the night and makes me do this. I tell myself every night that "tonight I will not eat in the middle of the night." I am determined not to eat. But I always wake up and eat, so it has to be something hard-wired into my brain that's causing me to binge. Again, the only thing that works for me is to just not have the food there.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    SNYPorter wrote: »
    Just rejoined and saw your note, I have been in the same situation many times Its because its an addiction to the sugar and you can't help it until you break the cycle. I saw a Dr/ recently and am pre diabetic with side effects. I have to do this to live. I have to give my my blood sugar every day and my meals it is helping so far. I also joined dr Hyman eat fat to lose weight program starting soon. We need all the support we can get. Don't give up, start reading and learning what sets you off. You are not alone and good luck!!

So much woo. There's no such thing as sugar addiction, but for me binge eating is a habit born out of lack of self respect. I'd just mentally disconnect from this body I love, and destroy it. I have had to make very small changes. The first is taking binge foods out of the house. We don't buy cookies or ice cream tubs anymore. We buy the single serve ice cream cups, 2 at a time (one for each of us), and if the need to have cookies comes up we will find a real bakery to have to buy them. So basically took out big servings of things (I mean, a whole box of cookies could be gone in seconds, but not of its not at home), and built in a roadblock to the binge behavior. I also no longer eat after 8pm. It started at 9:30, then moved it back as I got used to siting with my feelings and no food for a while.

Last night I had a rough day. I'd been told I *may* get to go home on time, or may have to stay until past my own bed time. I hate having my routine disrupted and even more so hate having less than 10 hrs between work shifts. It wasn't fair and it was definitely a binge type storm brewing. I ate dinner at work, and then at home I wanted to eat everything. But then I looked around, and there was nothing. We have whole foods, meals to be cooked, maybe some cheese that I could have just grabbed and eaten. But not having the binge foods available, I had a piece of toast (I was hungry), and that was it.

These tricks won't work for everyone but maybe something will spark in you. I just had to take away the ability to do it mindlessly, and then it becomes a choice. You either chose to binge or chose not to.

Oh, and staying busy in the evening has proven to be helpful as well. I actually bought Legos so I could just stack and unstack them while I watch a show so my hands don't want to go to my mouth as usual.
  • CChen8520
    CChen8520 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Been there!

I could have the other meals/snacks in control but when it comes to dinner i'd have something really salty/spicy and totally blow up my calories and macros.

I found it helpful to switch my schedule a little bit...Started going to gym after work (around 7 ish), by the time I finish work out and get home it's usually 9~9:30, quick dinner by 10, and usually I don't feel any cravings before going to bed at 12.
  • sunflowerlioness
    sunflowerlioness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have BED, and something that has really helped me cut down on my episodes is just staying out of the kitchen area and leaving the part of the house that has food in it. A little simple, and everyone's different, but "Out of sight, out of mind" really works for me.
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with binge eating and love the above suggestions people have. I have also noticed that my binge food is evening. I tend to be a night owl and if i let myself, i will frequently stay up ridiculously late for no reason. I feel lije i get a second wind around 11. I have also noticed that occasionally i impulse buy something late at night. Recently i read that the "second wind" feeling is actually a stress response by our body, where it releases cortisol and some other hormones. I think part, but not all, of my binge eating is related to sleep deprivation. My body's way of trying to stay alert and react to cortisol by craving sugar. The binge behavior relating to fatigue makes sense, too. My brain has less energy and focus for behavior control. The last few weeks ihave made a conscious effort to get 7-9 hours of sleep and i have seen a reduction in binge behavior and feel much better. The few binges have been when i stayed up late. How many hours are you sleeping and can you increase it? Hang in there and big hugs to you. I can definitely relate to all of the feelings you described.
  • andrewjbaker1984
    andrewjbaker1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is what I've always struggled with. Generally I eat relatively okay or I certainly don't eat huge portions but it's the biscuits, crisps, chocolate that gets me.

Maybe an odd question but do you have breakfast?

Do you have a healthy snack during the morning/late afternoon?

The reason I ask is that when I was looking to break the snacking in the evening cycle I started eating healthy cereal for breakfast and having an apple about 11am. This meant that I ate lunch later which in turn pushed all my meals back later which meant I didn't want to snack late into the night as I'd just had my main meal. It worked very nicely for me
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Brain over binge is a game changing book for many!
  • krissyrey
    krissyrey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread guys!!!! Im enjoying the read. I face this same issue, and came accross some wonderful solutions!!! Thanks!!!
  • smschmitz
    smschmitz Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This. So this.