Scales - I'm amazed

Options
I decided to buy some digital kitchen scales as everyone on here recommends weighing everything and I'm amazed at how far off I was with a lot of things. I'd been weighing some things on non digital scales but guessing other things. Well I've been giving myself much bigger portions than I thought. Oops! Hopefully now I have digital scales and am using them all the time I'll start having better losses. So if anyone is on the fence about using scales I say DO IT :) the people on here know what they are taking about :)

Replies

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It is such a relief knowing what the right portion sizes for you are, isn't it.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    People keep saying it, get a scale, your measurements are almost certainly lousy, but NOBODY wants to hear it. Glad you posted this, I hope it will convert a few more;)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Scary, isn't it? To realize how much portion creep there is when you don't weigh. :) Congrats on making the leap!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yes it is more accurate than measuring cups or worse estimating. Especially with walnuts. A few extra can really add up.
  • TracyPedersen
    TracyPedersen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It is such a relief knowing what the right portion sizes for you are, isn't it.

Yes it is! Makes me feel much more on track.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yep! I'd been having Weetabix chocolate minis every day for breakfast and guessing what 40g was. When I got my scales I weighed what I thought was right and it was 70g! Soon adds up and eats in to that deficit.
  • TracyPedersen
    Options
    People keep saying it, get a scale, your measurements are almost certainly lousy, but NOBODY wants to hear it. Glad you posted this, I hope it will convert a few more;)

No problem :smile: that's why I did post to possibly encourage a few others. As an example I'd been putting a little margarine on my vegetables and I'd guessed it was half a table spoon and around 30-40 cals but when I weighed it the margarine actually came to over 100 cals for what I'd used. So it can all add up can't it and it makes you realise that you can easily exceed your daily allowance if you aren't careful.
  • TracyPedersen
    Options
    Scary, isn't it? To realize how much portion creep there is when you don't weigh. :) Congrats on making the leap!

Yes it is. And thanks! Feeling proud of myself for taking the leap. Everyone's inspired me.
  • TracyPedersen
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    Yes it is more accurate than measuring cups or worse estimating. Especially with walnuts. A few extra can really add up.

I don't use cups as I'm in the uk and I don't think they are really used over here so I was estimating by just looking. Not everything but some things and I've now realised I was underestimating by quite a lot. It's a real eye opener. They really do. I was losing slowly so I didn't think I was doing anything wrong but thought I might as well start using scales as everyone on here is such an advocate for using them. I'm hoping now I've tightened up my logging I might see a slight increase in my weigh loss. But if I don't I don't mind as at least I know I'm now doing things properly.
  • TracyPedersen
    Options
    Yep! I'd been having Weetabix chocolate minis every day for breakfast and guessing what 40g was. When I got my scales I weighed what I thought was right and it was 70g! Soon adds up and eats in to that deficit.

Yes I was doing similar with my cereal. It's shocking isn't it!