Plantains vs bananas

Options
Hi everyone, please I need some help. I am a great lover of plantains and would really love to include them in my diet. However, I notice plantains are much more high in calories compared to bananas. I fail to understand this since these two foods are so identical. Could anyone elaborate? Otherwise, Ill just stick to eating cooked bananas.

Replies

• Brackto
    Brackto Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Their higher calorie content should mainly be due to the higher starch content. Plantains raw need to be cooked before eating while you can eat the ripe ones even if they go black last I know of it.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    They are not identical. Plantains have 50% more carbs than bananas. On the positive side though, plantains have more Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Magnesium than bananas.

I love plantains. I slice mine thin on my mandolin and fry them either in coconut oil or bacon fat. Immediately after removing from the oil I salt them. I usually have them with breakfast.
  • jullielum
    jullielum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the information. I love them fried as well. But I try to reduce calories by just boiling and serving with cooked vegetables. Never thought of using coconut oil though. Will give that a try. And its good to know they are richer in vitamins than bananas.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Coconut oil will add calories.
    Too many calories in your diet will make you gain weight.
    * Just making sure you are aware.
    * If you add the oil, cut back on calories somewhere else.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Plantains are luscious chopped and cooked in a pot of long cooking beans. They add flavor and texture yet they melt. I'm wondering if you could do microwave chips like with potatoes. No grease or salt needed.