Is a Fitbit worth getting?

Options

Replies

• nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I recently got one, I don't use it consistently but I'm trying to use it more. I'm not sure if they are worth it, but it defiantly makes you more aware of how little you move if you dont exercise and when you work in a sedentary job.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like mine.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I have never really wanted one, but I have a loan of one for a couple of months. After two weeks using it, I don't think it is something that I will benefit from.
    If a counter will help you walk or run more, get one. Otherwise save your money for something that is more beneficial, new runners, set of weights, cycling shorts.

Cheers, h.
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I use mine a lot to track runs and see where my heart rate is and track my progress. It's beneficial to my goals.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    IMO, yes. I wear mine everyday and use it to not only track my steps but to keep track of my workouts. I also like the HRM function mine has. So for me, it is worth it
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Yep ... If you want hard core tracking and high accuracy ... No ... But I absolutely love my charge HR ... Matching it with my garmin I find both distance and HR are quite acceptable ... <5% on the HR and about as much tolerance with distance ... Some odd spikes here and there but I'm all for a daily tracker (especially if you are an active logger)
  • MarissaTriesAgain
    MarissaTriesAgain Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    As others have said, for tracking daily activity I love my Charge HR. I wear a Polar FT7 for actual workouts for slightly more accurate readings of HR and Calories burned. The fitbit gives me a good glimpse of how active I am day to day, in ways you don't really realize!
  • Wiseinwellness
    Wiseinwellness Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I love mine - it is a charge, and easy to charge up. I did not get the HR. I used to have the flex but it conked out on me. The warranty was great but I decided to upgrade so that I wouldn't have to charge the battery externally. I'm analytically driven and I like how fitbit tracks in with fitpal as well.

My daughter lives on the other side of the country and we have challenges with each other and others we know.

It has increased my motivation and I now walk back and forth from work to meet my goal of 12,000 steps a day as a base. I also wear it sleeping and can now tell you from the way I feel, without checking anymore, how much real sleep I've gotten almost to the minute. And I know exactly what I need (7hr 30 mins) to feel great.

Good luck deciding. It's fun to have.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Depends what you want to use it for. I walk and run, so I use it to track my daily calorie expenditure so that I have a more accurate number to eat from. For me, it's totally worth it.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit! I've had it for about a year and it truly helps keep me motivated to walk. I have a few friends who use it too and we kind of get competitive with one another...which is good.
  • LincolnPete69
    LincolnPete69 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit charge, and love the daily and weekly challenges with other Fitbit users for motivation......I also find my weight steadily drops as long as I log my food on MFP and keep under the calories burned figure on the Fitbit app......and having a Fitbit has forced me to get out more, do stairs not lifts and just be more active
  • Jericha1992
    Jericha1992 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My Charge HR is life. It also showed me that on most days, I was undereating by quite a bit. I've felt much stronger and more motivated since I got mine, and I know now that I'm getting enough calories for adequate energy.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Well, are you interested in tracking your activity level each day? If yes, this is a good way to do it. If not, save your money. I am very motivated by a specific goal, and so the Fitbit is motivating for me. And I'll take all the motivation I can get.
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have to say i love mine. i have had 3 of the fit bit flex. In a year and a half it helped motivate me to lose 2 and a half stone. When i looked it up i thought yeah if i aim for the 10k steps a day that would be start. Wore it at work and figured by 7am waking up and 5pm finishing work i only had 4k steps i made it my mission to hit 6k at work and 4k at nights once i got this i started to up steps at night - i then bought a treadmill and aimed higher every time. until i felt ready to go to the gym and classes. every time it dies i replace it. Love it and it helps motivate me to get X amount of steps even on rest days i at least aim for 10k.
  • kris10cass
    kris10cass Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a charge as well. Got it this January! Has pushed me to be more active each day.. so I think it's great!! My husband and his whole family got one as well so we are constantly challenging each other. Great motivator!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I have my Fitbit for over 2 yrs, it motivates me to keep active although that has now become the norm.
    I like seeing the TDEE numbers each day that the tracker gives me and have found those to be accurate for me.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I love mine, but I think that's mostly due to having 20+ friends with fitbits, and our weekly/daily challenges!

I really do get up and move more, and do more cardio to get that 10k a day and beat people lol.

The downfall is that I used to give up strength training in order to have time to get my steps.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Had one - wore it for a few weeks - don't have the desire to use/wear it anymore. Made my work-outs less....fun, for lack of a better word. I don't want to concentrate so much on steps and calories burned - I want to actually enjoy my workouts for the sake of enjoying my workouts.
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit HR and the Aria weight scale for about 8 months. I really love both items. Weight and body fat percent is automatically sent to my computer so I don't have to log it in manually. (yes, body fat percent isn't super accurate, but it is accurate enough to detect changes over time) I also wear my watch all the time, except to charge and clean it which is usually during shower time and very inactive times like in the morning with my coffee on the computer. I wear it while I sleep as well because it measures movement and sleep activity (I have sleep apnea). This helps me be honest about my physical activity. Did I really do a lot today? Or just feel tired (like I did a lot), but really because I didn't sleep well. It helps me to be honest and way more accurate about my physical activity. And again, saves me time and trouble, because I do not have to log it in. I also use the bar code scanner on my phone to log my foods.

Also, you can link fitbit account to here MFP. So, if you use both sites or prefer this one it will automatically sync watch and scale info to MFP for you. Also, using MFP bar scanner to log foods...or logging foods manually on MFP will also auto sync with Fitbit. I am only on MFP, because my diabetes prevention coach requires it.