Fitbit users-tracking calories

Options
I'm an elementary school teacher, so I walk a lot. I set my activity level to sedentary. I synced my Fitbit to MFP.

Question, should I count those Fitbit as "exercise calories burned" ? I don't want to count them, but them not really be counted... Not sure how to explain it.

Replies

• kwow1978
    kwow1978 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Your myfitnesspal will automatically adjust your calories based on what you do with your fit bit. You don't need to account for those under exercise.
  • lindat1016
    lindat1016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Why is my calories burned differ from MFP and my FitBit app? FitBit app will say I burned 600 calories and MFP will say I burned only 250 calories. (I synced my FitBit app to MFP app.)
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    @lindat - can you explain a bit more, as in, is your Fitbit telling you that you've burned 600 calories overall, and then MFP is giving you an adjustment of 250, or is MFP telling you that you've burned 250 in total? If that makes any sense...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you've told MFP you're sedentary then you can eat back your earned exercise calories as MFP will have been set for you to lose x lbs per week. You either trust MFP's numbers a or go by Fitbit and eat at deficit of the number it gives you at the end of the day - ie the TDEE method.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    kwow1978 wrote: »
    Your myfitnesspal will automatically adjust your calories based on what you do with your fit bit. You don't need to account for those under exercise.

When you set your activity level too low, the fitbit will account for the "extra" as exercise calories. When I sync up, I'm often gifted 500-600 calories to eat. I chose not to eat them, because I wasn't exactly exercising just going through my day. I do like to see this number though, knowing that my fitbit thinks I burned more than MFP estimated I would. It's fun for me.

If you want to be most accurate (and this is true for myself as well), you'd use the lightly active level so your fitbit doesn't have to give extra calories, everything is balanced between MFPs recommendations (of intake) and your fitbits estimates of your burn. Then if you do actually go and EXERCISE you would log it and then decide if you're eating them back or not.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I stopped adding my exercise to MFP, now I let my Fitbit do the exercise counting, and I log my food on MFP...works perfectly!