Celiac Disease question..

Options
Hi all. I am recently (within the last 8 months) diagnosed with celiac disease. A gluten free diet helped immensely right away, however, in the last month or so, something isn't right. My symptoms are sneaking back. Is it possible that I have an intolerance to something else? Casein maybe? Other information.. I started MFP two weeks ago, and I've been under a ton of stress the last month or so.. could that have anything to do with it? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Mathisfun
    Mathisfun Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My husband also has Celiac's. Stress plays a major role in flare-ups of his symptoms. You also need to be aware of all the "hidden" sources of gluten in foods.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    yes i would wonder about hidden gluten flavoring, modified food starch or if something is processed in a facility that process wheat. its not just food you have to worry about, skin and hair products, even pet food.
  • chartel
    chartel Posts: 16
    Options
    I was misdiagnosed with celiac three years ago. Staying off gluten did make me feel better, but the same thing happened that you are describing. I went to a naturopath (though any Dr. would do as well) and had a comprehensive dietary allergy screening done. It turns out the real culprit was dairy. Becoming a vegan has helped me resolve my issues.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    have you heard of the pendulum test? Its something I try with some foods (if it can be held in my palm) to see if my body will be allergic to it or not.

not sure on the validity, but it has worked for me.

google body pendulum test. i'm sure there are youtube links as well.
  • ajl2
    ajl2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would bet that you are unknowingly consuming gluten.
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am also newly diagnosed with celiac disease. I would say you are unknowingly consuming gluten. Check your lipstick....I know it sounds odd...but gluten can also be found in many cosmetics.
  • jlcrose
    jlcrose Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks, all. I'm going to revisit the things I'm eating. I would love to be eating whole foods only, anyway, and I think I might make that my goal. Also going to check into the hair and body products as well..
  • MuchoGusto
    MuchoGusto Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Stress usually does it for me. But sometimes I'll have gluten (unknowingly) and not have the symptoms until later.
  • Cheryl_Catrair
    Cheryl_Catrair Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed last August and as recently as a month ago I realized something that I thought I had read was gluten free wasn't. (This had happened several times prior as well.) There's just so much to try to grasp in the beginning. I don't have outward symptons (internal - damaged villi and CD confirmed with blood test) so I don't know when I ingest gluten on accident. I still worry sometimes that I'm getting cross contaminated somehow but have finally come to terms with all I can do is to be 100% compliant and continue to be diligent in checking. Make sure you double check all labels again and make sure you're correct ... it could be something as simple as a restaurant not cleaning their grill.
  • kcksmo
    kcksmo Posts: 19
    Options
    If you haven't read it you have to get the book "The G Free Diet - A Gluten Free Survival Guide" by Elizabeth Hasselbeck. It is soooo helpful with encouragement and advice to be g-free in the real world. There are lists of food, cleaners, restaurants, etc that are gluten free. It has helped me out sooo much since I found out about my gluten sensitivity.

Cross contamination is an easy way for gluten to sneak into your meals.. that might be a reason you aren't feeling good.
  • Sarahnats
    Sarahnats Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Are you in the uk? if you haven't already done so you could join the ceoilac society(they have a web site), they produce a book once a year which is about £10 and it lists all the major supermarkets and companies that supply foods etc that are gluten free...i call it my bible and if its not in the book, out of the ground( wheat etc not included lol) or off a tree i dont eat it , it really helps! As a few other people have commented i'd say your unknowingly consumming gluten somewhere...remember it goes for oats, barley rye etc too..hope this helps!