Exercising Outdoors

Options
I enjoy going on runs/walks outdoors, but the problem is I always seem to find an excuse not to. As far as running, sometimes it will be raining or it will be entirely too hot (I'm talking in the 90s). And I know it's stupid, but a lot of the time I just feel kind of embarrassed going on a walk all by myself. I'm pretty young (18), and I feel like people in my neighborhood will look at me weird! Or maybe I'll see someone I know driving past and he/she will just think "what is she doing walking around all by herself? she looks out of place." Anyone else out there have this problem?

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Nope, it was 95 yesterday and I went out for my C25K run. I feel kick *kitten* after I workout and that's my motivation to do it. I pop in my ear buds, put Pandora on and I go.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Unless you have very nosy people around you, I am guessing no one will even notice.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to work up a sweat out in the heat, even if you're just walking if that's all you can handle in that heat. No one is looking at you thinking negative things! If anything they're probably saying "Look at that girl working out in this heat, she's awesome! I can't do that... I'm far too lazy". :wink:

I do the majority of my workouts outside in the summer and never worry about what others might think as they pass me by because I know I'm doing something good for me, so who cares what anyone else thinks? :smile:
  • dominionite
    dominionite Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to work up a sweat out in the heat, even if you're just walking if that's all you can handle in that heat. No one is looking at you thinking negative things! If anything they're probably saying "Look at that girl working out in this heat, she's awesome! I can't do that... I'm far too lazy". :wink:

I do the majority of my workouts outside in the summer and never worry about what others might think as they pass me by because I know I'm doing something good for me, so who cares what anyone else thinks? :smile:

Who cares what anyone else thinks! I love that!
  • kristine321
    Options
    Who knows, you may give someone incentive to get out and exercise too!! My neighbor started walking, and it made me get back in gear once I saw her walking down the road!
  • sccersara95
    Options

Wow, that's a great way to think of it! Thanks!
  • flgirlsteph
    flgirlsteph Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    its way to hot here to do anything outside :(
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    don't ever let the weather be an excuse. its just weather. dress for it. (or bring water) when its super hot! I've ran in lightening and thunder.... and it was one of my most favorite runs to date!
  • aimdawson
    aimdawson Posts: 31
    Options
    Nope, it was 95 yesterday and I went out for my C25K run. I feel kick *kitten* after I workout and that's my motivation to do it. I pop in my ear buds, put Pandora on and I go.
    Good for you! I love reading posts like that.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Nope I don't care what someone would think about me because they see me walking... I am almost 23 and I walk around by myself (kinda fast too) for exercise sometimes...
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a great way to think of it! Thanks!

No problem! Good luck! You can do this. Embrace the sweat and have fun! :drinker:
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    People won't think anything, except maybe, "there's a girl exercising". What's so bad about that?

People walk all over where I live. Day, night, solo, friends, couples...old and young alike. It's probably the biggest exercise where I live. More people walk outdoors than hit the gyms. I see a lot of people even in winter.

As for weather, I don't go out in the rain. But if it's hot, (and it gets humid here in Iowa), I will still go out. Sure if feels horrible when you just "walk out" and feel it. But once I get moving, I don't really notice it. If it's perfect out I still work up a sweat and get hot so once Iget going, I can't say the heat really bothers me. If anything, when I get back I feel even more empowered because I feel so GREAT when I get home.

What's more important? Getting in great shape or what others "think" of you for doing it? Personally, I've never seen anyone in shape or not exercising and though badly of them. Most times I thought "I should be doing that"!!