"Banking" calories

Options
Just to clarify, when people on here say they're banking calories they're referring to their "net" under calories for the week, right?

Replies

• ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes, but using a weekly (net) total or average to enjoy some banked calories only works if you are highly consistent with logging. It's not for somebody who regularly misses entering items and starts over the next day.
  • mom2natalie
    mom2natalie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. I log everything.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    It is a great way to have a "cheat" piece of cake at your own darn party without having ANY guilt for it! But like mentioned, you really have to make sure you log everything and actually HAVE them to spare.

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. It works well if you're consistent and a good planner. I tend eat my entire daily allotment of calories since my daily goal is low, but I regularly save a few hundred exercise calories for a larger meal or jam-packed weekends.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Yes. I try to eat 200 under my goal every weekday so I have some freedom on the weekend to eat nice family breakfasts, drink a little more beer, and exercise a bit less.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I get nervous doing even though I make sure to weigh everything and log it. I'm still afraid I might miss something somehow so I just dont even bother.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Here's how I used to bank calories--I created a food called "Piggybank" for 100 calories. If I knew I wanted to have some wiggle room on the weekends, I would pre-log the Piggybank for every day during the week, which would essentially bank 500 extra calories for the weekend. Then on Saturday or Sunday when I went over, I would log "negative servings" of the Piggybank (yes, you can do this, but only on the website, not on the app). This kept the number from showing red (which used to really bother me for some reason), but maintained my weekly totals.

I still bank calories, but I do it a little less formally since those red number no longer bother me.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I bank for the weekends, but as has been said here, I'm a pretty tight logger--weigh all my solids, measure liquids, etc, so for me it's a really easy and great way to enjoy flexibility.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is what they are doing.

If I am maintaining this is a great way to do it- Eat under during the week and do what I please (within reason) on the weekends. If I am trying to lose, though, I have to be more careful. I think this mentality could backfire for a lot of people if they are consistently logging weekends.