Started the military diet

Options
So everyone has different opinions on the military diet. I will put my input in 30 days if this is something people should really try

Replies

• RussBeggs
    RussBeggs Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of trying it hope you get some results you want.
  • jerrodl
    jerrodl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Where can I find this military diet? Love seeing different structures some people change up alot till they find the one that clicks
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    30 days?

This "diet" is suppose to be for 3 days.

I would never recommend it. Weight loss isn't done in 3 or 30 days IMHO.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    As a retired service member and combat veteran, this 'military diet' scheme does not resemble anything that I was exposed to during 21 years in the Army. If you believe in a low calories intake for three days and then taking a break is good for you, the better idea would be to exercise for 4 hours a day those three days and then take a break for recovery.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    ana2586 wrote: »
    So everyone has different opinions on the military diet. I will put my input in 30 days if this is something people should really try

Will you eat like this for the rest of your life? If not, you're setting yourself up for failure, in the long run.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    As a retired service member and combat veteran, this 'military diet' scheme does not resemble anything that I was exposed to during 21 years in the Army. If you believe in a low calories intake for three days and then taking a break is good for you, the better idea would be to exercise for 4 hours a day those three days and then take a break for recovery.

Absolutely. I was in the Air Force for 11 years and never saw anything like this.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    This diet is in no way affiliated with the military and doesn't sound remotely healthy or satisfying. If I were you I would do some more research on nutrition (use the MFP blog) and try to create a more sustainable diet. And remember "diet" is just a word that refers to what you eat. It is not only cutting calories and weight loss gimics. Good luck!
  • TJH2
    TJH2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did this diet a little over a month ago and I lost 6lbs, I just did it again this past weekend and lost 2lbs. I used this as more of a guideline and would definitely suggest you make sure you listen to your body above all. It suggests not to snack in between meals but I would have an extra banana or couple slices of cheese, some extra crackers etc. Instead of 1 hard boiled egg I would do 2, I would use two slices of bread for my tuna instead of 1 making it into a sandwich and I also made sure to take my vitamins those days to ensure I wasn't missing out on anything.

My thoughts on dieting are always the same they have good points and suggestions but I don't feel one specific diet is the best way to lose weight, the best thing to do for yourself is to be aware of what you are putting into your body and how much you move and exert yourself. That is why I love this app so much it has been a huge help for me the past 2 months in which I have lost 20lbs
  • ana2586
    ana2586 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I agree I did eat certain things that were not on the list and I have been drinking half my body weight. This is my 2 week so we will see how it goes
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Fortunately for you OP, I have a time machine and have traveled 30 days into the future and have seen your results. You will lose weight doing the Military Diet as you would with any other VLCD - it creates an extreme calorie deficit filled with fairly odd food combinations and does not teach sustainable habits. You will find it restrictive and boring, but will be tempted by the quick loss you saw on the scale, so you tried it for a couple of rounds, only to then realize that when you stopped it, you gained much of the weight back. You then will become an advocate for following the MFP approach of setting a reasonable calorie deficit, logging accurately using a food scale, eating a variety of nutrient dense foods within that diet, leaving room for treats if you can, exercising and eating back a portion of your calories, and being patient in order to achieve long term, sustainable weight loss.

Or... you will keep bouncing from fad diet to fad diet until you finally realize that none of them give you the results you are looking for and that you are miserable in the process.

I'm know which version of the future I would choose....
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    jerrodl wrote: »
    Where can I find this military diet? Love seeing different structures some people change up alot till they find the one that clicks

Go to www.themilitarydiet.com. The best thing about the diet? It's free! Regular food. Note, men should add 100 calories of protein to each day on the diet.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I just can't wrap my head around why people still do this. Your eating hot dogs and crackers! There is no special food combo that helps with losing weight! You losing weight because your eating a VERY LOW CALORIE DIET.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You are doing a 3 day crash fad diet for 30 days?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Is everyone's opinion equally valid or is some critical thinking allowed here?

It's a VLCD and its stupid.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The military diet is ...special. You can lose that amount of weight by putting in your stats and eating your proper amount of calories. Stop trying to shock your system. Eat to lose.
  • DylanV543
    DylanV543 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs doing the military diet for 2 weeks. I like it because the 3 days arent that bad if you drink lots of water, its inexpensive to do, and my recommended calorie deficite on MFP is 1500 calories anyways. So if i discontinue the diet and continue to cut weight by staying within the 1500 calorie limit, I shouldnt gain the weight back.