Unhealthy Eating to Healthy Eating.... Help

Options
There is a lot of people on here that have successfully lost some weight, a lot of weight and maintained their weight by doing a complete over haul of your diet. How did you go from burgers, fries, and pizza to fish, quinoa, and salad daily. I WANT TO DO THIS.... Please help me!!!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Baby steps.

I switched my diet to mostly cooking for myself years ago, so it wasn't really related to how I lost this time (eating less was). However, when I did it initially I just worked on one thing at a time and gradually improved (and read about nutrition).

An easy way to start is to pick a strategy for breakfast and lunch. Then gradually start learning to make some dinners that fit into your idea of what's healthy and start buying the ingredients so you have them on hand.

I don't really think there's anything wrong with a burger (or anything, but that's one of the examples you used) -- it can be a quick and easy dinner. I'd just make sure I paired it with lots of vegetables, and usually I choose between a bun (ideally whole grain) or some other starch (I'm not that into bread, so I often like it bunless, and then I make some roasted potatoes to have with my vegetables).

Little things like that.

I always have some good protein options and lots of vegetables at home and I cook what I have -- makes it easier.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    As you will soon learn, the majority of people here did not do a full overhaul but rather a tweak. They still eat burger, fries and pizza, as well as fish, quinoa and salad. It's all about balance. Once you learn the calorie cost of a typical burger and fries meal, it becomes something you eat less frequently. Something you plan for in advance or modify to be lower in calories. Eating your calories in pizza becomes impractical because you would be really hungry, so you might bank for said pizza or have a couple of slices accompanied by lower calorie choices to fit into your budget without "breaking the calorie bank". This approach, by default, has the potential of creating an overall healthier diet because vegetables and foods that have a good nutrient density per calorie are often lower in calories.

If you are looking for that particular sub-group who completely changed their diet, I hope someone would provide you with a more useful reply.
  • punkyb07
    punkyb07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What @lemurcat12 said start small. I started by taking my lunch instead of eating out. Something as simple as actually eating breakfast (at home instead of Mickey D's) makes a HUGE difference in my appetite for the rest of the day. Also look at the healthy things that you already like/love. I'm Southern, so I LOVE me some home-cooked, southern style veggies. Things like turnip greens, collards, cabbage. I incorporated them into my meal plan on a daily basis and I still do.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Quick summary of what I did:

- First start by eating what you already eat, just less, and track your calories.
    -
    - As you go, you learn that some foods foods pack much more of a nutritional punch for the calories they carry. You may decide to start swapping those in. For example, I used to have massive bowls of ice cream every night. I still often have ice cream, but usually a cup or so. But I also usually have a big bowl of Greek yogurt with berries.
    -
    - Remember that no foods are off-limits and that exercising lets you eat more.

You will find that many (most?) successful people still eat pizza, burgers, and fries. I rarely eat quinoa, fish, or salad. If those foods are what you want to eat, try swapping them in once in a while to see what you like.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    There's an image somewhere about the order in which you should prioritize the different aspects of what makes a good diet.

They are, in this order:
    1. Total calories
    2. Macronutrients (Protein, fat, carbs)
    3. Micronutrients (vitamins, minerals)
    4. Nutrient timing
    5. Supplements

The idea is, get your calories worked out first, and only move down the list as you become comfortable with and control what's above it. As you make progress in this structured way, you'll come to understand naturally how someone's diet can change in the manner you described.

Let's see how this plays out hypothetically:

Someone who's gaining weight doesn't have their diet under control. That is, they're not even figuring out their total calories, let alone macros and so on. When he makes a change, he should focus on simply eating less first, to the point that he's eating less than he burns each day, and he should stay at this point for a while, no matter what foods comprise those calories.

Next, he may realize that he wants to look good and be healthier and more fit. He'll have to exercise and lift weights. He can maintain his calorie deficit, but he'll need to start thinking about his macros. Protein will likely need to make up a bigger percentage, and take over many of the calories previously occupied by fat and carbs. He'll need a certain amount of carbs to lift weights effectively, and so fat will go down a bit more.

Suddenly, in order to meet these constraints, he can't easily eat a lot of things like pizza or cake. There's nothing wrong with either of those, but they contain macros in percentages that don't work for his diet. He's finding out that chicken breast and rice work much better for him. He has also discovered fiber, and that he needs a certain amount. Now, brown rice helps more than white rice (white rice is fine, but it has less fiber, so in this case it's less useful).

He's getting some good progress, but wants to keep going and be more healthy. He starts learning about certain vitamins like Vitamin K. That sounds really good for you, where do you get that? Broccoli? The more we learn about broccoli, the better it seems. It's like a miracle food. He adds some to his meals. Suddenly, he now has grilled chicken, brown rice, and broccoli all the time. It's essentially a cliche for those who've gone through these ropes before. He starts adding this and that, which contribute more vitamins and minerals, providing more bang for his caloric buck.

Then, he finds out he can lift weights and recover better with pre/post workout nutrition, and that he should eat some slow digesting protein before bed.

Then, he finds out how he should really be supplementing a high quality fish oil for joint and heart health, and how he can easily fill in those 20 pesky protein grams with a scoop of powder mixed with low calorie almond milk.

Long story short, add things as you learn, as they become needed. Don't dive into the deep end, or you'll drown in a cruciferous sea of kale. As you take these little steps, you'll eventually come to a place where you understand how counterproductive your old diet was, even though there was nothing wrong with those individual foods.

Then, one day, you too will be arguing passionately on the MFP forums how there's no good definition of "clean eating." That, my friend, is when you know you've made it.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    In the past, I've leaped in and cut out everything "bad" and... well, that never lasted long. I felt hungry, sad and deprived. Who wants to eat carrot sticks every day? Blech!

This time, I started by logging everything I ate normally for a week. It really opened my eyes to how much junk I was putting in my body. Then I started making small changes, cutting out one small thing at a time, and replacing it with healthier option. Instead of that danish with my morning coffee, I started having yogurt and fruit. Replaced my afternoon cookie with an apple (I can still have a cookie later in the evening if I have calories for it.)

I promised myself that I would take lunches to work 1 day a week for a month, and rewarded myself when I managed it. Then it became 2 days a week, then 3. I never got higher than 3 days a week, because our daily schedules were just too hectic, but I started going the extra distance to the fresh food market and getting chicken salads, etc, instead of fast food. Now I work from home, and I've been a full year with no fast food whatsoever.

And here's the funny thing,. My lunch diet used to consist of Jack-in-the-Box chicken sandwiches, \KFC biscuits, and Carl's Junior bacon burgers. And you know what? I see the commercials on TV now, and ... it just looks gross, like nothing I'd ever want to eat. I ate Jack-in-the-Box or Carl's Junior nearly every work-day because they were close to where I worked. Now, just the commercials gross me out. How did I ever live on that stuff?

What I do want, and have a hard time with, is pizza! I love pizza! For the sake of moderation, my partner and I order a small pizza once a month or so now, and sometimes, it's hard to hold out for 'Pizza Day'. Right now, I could eat an entire thick crust pepperoni pizza with olives and extra cheese, and I'd probably fight you to the death if you tried to take it from me. The key is moderation, and trying to find healthier alternatives.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    My tip, focus on getting enough fiber from whole foods. Focus on getting enough protein. But most importantly, make sure to stay within your calorie goal.

In my opinion, if you focus on getting enough fiber and protein, it's nearly impossible for your diet to not be balanced.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    When I tried doing a complete overhaul of my diet in the past, I quickly failed, so I didn't change what I ate. I only changed how much and learned to find things that were satisfying. So basically what they said:
    As you will soon learn, the majority of people here did not do a full overhaul but rather a tweak. They still eat burger, fries and pizza, as well as fish, quinoa and salad. It's all about balance. Once you learn the calorie cost of a typical burger and fries meal, it becomes something you eat less frequently. Something you plan for in advance or modify to be lower in calories. Eating your calories in pizza becomes impractical because you would be really hungry, so you might bank for said pizza or have a couple of slices accompanied by lower calorie choices to fit into your budget without "breaking the calorie bank". This approach, by default, has the potential of creating an overall healthier diet because vegetables and foods that have a good nutrient density per calorie are often lower in calories.

• WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Most important thing is to learn to say no. No to lunches with friends at fast food joints, no to donuts at the morning meetings and mostly no to your self as you feel your self control slipping. Consider it a lot like smoking, its hard at first, but as you do it you will learn and adapt into it. One very important thing, Healthy food does not and should not taste bad or Bland. If you find that what you are trying to eat is not tasting good or filling you up you are not going to make it. There are a lot of great tasting healthy food out there, just don't be afraid to look. When you do go out to eat, find the menu online and look up the nutrition information up before you go. It really helps if when you sit down at the table you already know what you are going to have and how many calories it has in it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I can't say if my diet has had an overhaul or not - I eat the same things as I did before, but structured differently; some things more often, other things less frequently, some more meals made from scratch, more variety, more consistency, getting a rythm. Over time I have changed and implemented lots of simple, boring little habits that together build a strong and flexible eating plan.

What I feel has changed most, is my attitude - I don't think I "should" or "shouldn't" eat this or that; I eat what I want and what I need. This could only happen because my taste preferences, and my perception of what a healthy diet is, have also changed, and the link between diet and form finally clicked, so my wants and needs are much more in line now. All in all, food is less worry, more enjoyment than before.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I used a weekly experiment, goal, and assessment technique.

I would use the information I was getting from MFP, look at my results, and try something new. For instance, an early lesson was that a single Carl's Junior burger could net 1,250 calories. Eek! I never looked at that restaurant chain the same again.

I developed a habit of making up a salad or a slow cooker meal to last me a few days. Saved money and had ready access to healthier choices.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm in the camp of not removing things from your diet unless you can't control yourself what so ever. If you can't stop eating ice cream and go over your calories because it's in your freezer, then it probably time to remove that for a while until you get control of that food in particular.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There's an image somewhere about the order in which you should prioritize the different aspects of what makes a good diet.

This one?
    The-Pyramid-Of-Nutrition-Priorities.png

Having this in the forefront of your mind will solve most of the problems people post about here.

To add: some people quibble about the meal timing tier. The site this is from incorporates Intermittent Fasting, so that's an included angle on things. It's not like "don't eat before bed, 6 small meals!" BS.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As other said its best to do baby steps... I started with only paying attention to calories consumed for months, didn't care how or when, than moved to exercising more to get a bigger deficit did that for months, than learned how to manage my macros and now I'm starting to pay more attention to micros and meal timing. Only difference is I started strength training not long ago so I added supplements in before micros and meal timing.
  • georgianna474747
    georgianna474747 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say eating salads every day will do the trick, but if you slowly train yourself into eating good/healthy foods, you will eventually get to where all you want to eat is healthy foods. Just like unhealthy foods, you eat them all the time so thats all that you know to eat. Become immune to good foods and you will crave them just like anything else.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I am with others who recommend making small, sustainable changes rather than large sweeping ones that are hard to stick with and often result in people just giving up.

My approach was not to cut anything out (other than calories and big portions) but rather to focus on adding things. More vegetables. More protein. More meals at home. More exercise. By doing all that, but still allowing myself pizza once a week or so, a glass of wine and something sweet every night, I never felt deprived or restricted, plus it was a positive frame of mind rather than a negative one ("Oh I can't eat that I'm on a diet")
  • activefatgirl
    activefatgirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for your posts. As I don't want to give up my loves (burger, fries, and pizza) I would like to dabble in to a whole new world of food. I call my eating style "kid friendly" and I need to start eating adult foods LOL. I have already started bringing my breakfast and lunch to work, so I think I will try and cook a new thing each night for dinner.... baby steps.

I will also change my food diary back to times and really think about the below.
    Total calories
    Macronutrients (Protein, fat, carbs)
    Micronutrients (vitamins, minerals)
    Nutrient timing
    Supplements
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for your posts. As I don't want to give up my loves (burger, fries, and pizza) I would like to dabble in to a whole new world of food. I call my eating style "kid friendly" and I need to start eating adult foods LOL. I have already started bringing my breakfast and lunch to work, so I think I will try and cook a new thing each night for dinner.... baby steps.

I will also change my food diary back to times and really think about the below.
    Total calories
    Nutrient timing
    Supplements

While I think that pyramid is great and the detailed example of how to apply it above was fantastic, most people will improve health and get the desired results by focusing on the first three and not need to dabble in nutrient timing and supplements.

Good luck.

• itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Total calories
    Nutrient timing
    Supplements

While I think that pyramid is great and the detailed example of how to apply it above was fantastic, most people will improve health and get the desired results by focusing on the first three and not need to dabble in nutrient timing and supplements.

Good luck.

This is an excellent point that I agree with. I probably should have put a gap between the first three and the last two to indicate that calories, macros, and micros should get 99%+ of your attention and effort.

What I will say is that I think it is beneficial for everyone to take a multivitamin, and probably fish oil. Here are some good examples of each:

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Female-Multi-Softgel-Softgels/dp/B003EN3KP2/ref=pd_sim_121_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Z39Kv8DML&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR86,160_&refRID=1Y52HA1CH9RYPHRRKJ9R

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CQU564?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Total calories
    Nutrient timing
    Supplements

Good luck.

This is an excellent point that I agree with. I probably should have put a gap between the first three and the last two to indicate that calories, macros, and micros should get 99%+ of your attention and effort.

What I will say is that I think it is beneficial for everyone to take a multivitamin, and probably fish oil. Here are some good examples of each:

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Female-Multi-Softgel-Softgels/dp/B003EN3KP2/ref=pd_sim_121_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Z39Kv8DML&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR86,160_&refRID=1Y52HA1CH9RYPHRRKJ9R

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CQU564?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Totally agree!