Has anyone else used the Airfryer?

Options
Hi
I use the Tefal Air fryer to make chicken (usually covered in Nandos Hot Sauce or some peri peri hot spice).
I use a very small amount of Olive oil or the 1 Calorie Spray (Olive and a few sprays).

I prefer the Airfryer to the GeorgeForman grill....as the food isn't as dry.

But is it more healthy? ?

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks

Replies

• therealhyper
    therealhyper Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    We use the Tefal airfryer occasionally (maybe once a month). We haven't had good luck with meat in it, but we do like it for cubed or sliced potatoes and sometimes other veggies. We have one of the original designs with a rotating stir bar - it tends to snag on meat. Do you have one of the newer upright designs? We're thinking we might switch to that if this one gives out on us.

We think it is a little bit healthier in that we only use ~ 1-3 tsp of oil to cook quite a lot of potatoes. If we wanted the same crispy fried finish we'd have to use more like 4 tablepoons in a frying pan. We don't eat low-fat per se, it's more about how caloric is the dish. If I use less oil, that means I have enough calories in my budget to eat another potato or another piece of meat, which I would prefer to feel more satisfied.
  • therealhyper
    Options
    khh1138 wrote: »
    We use the Tefal airfryer occasionally (maybe once a month). We haven't had good luck with meat in it, but we do like it for cubed or sliced potatoes and sometimes other veggies. We have one of the original designs with a rotating stir bar - it tends to snag on meat. Do you have one of the newer upright designs? We're thinking we might switch to that if this one gives out on us.

We think it is a little bit healthier in that we only use ~ 1-3 tsp of oil to cook quite a lot of potatoes. If we wanted the same crispy fried finish we'd have to use more like 4 tablepoons in a frying pan. We don't eat low-fat per se, it's more about how caloric is the dish. If I use less oil, that means I have enough calories in my budget to eat another potato or another piece of meat, which I would prefer to feel more satisfied.

Ours is the 2014 Model...it had the plastic stir/arm which does break some softer foods.

We don't use much oil at all...healthy is more important than the taste....but even with less oil the food does come out very nice !

The newer model has 2 trays one for your main food and 2nd for vegetables (or something else).

Do you use the gerogre for man grill (or simialr) at all.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I have an Actifry, which I think is pretty much the same thing (and it has the rotating arm.) We use it constantly for vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, brussels sprouts, green beans, etc etc etc...anything that tastes good roasted tastes better and cooks faster in the Actifry with like a teaspoon of oil. I like to add a little lemon or balsamic at the end of the cook time. My husband also loves chicken drumsticks in it because the skin gets so crispy.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I really want one of these because fried foods are freaking delightful, but too many calories for me to have on a regular basis. I haven't bought one thus far because they're a tad on the expensive side if it turns out they don't work in the way they're supposed to. I do not want to put broccoli or potatoes in and get mush out. So, to all of the people reporting in with the make and model that they're using and reviews, I thank you from the bottom of my cautious (do not want to pay money) heart!
  • therealhyper
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »
    I really want one of these because fried foods are freaking delightful, but too many calories for me to have on a regular basis. I haven't bought one thus far because they're a tad on the expensive side if it turns out they don't work in the way they're supposed to. I do not want to put broccoli or potatoes in and get mush out. So, to all of the people reporting in with the make and model that they're using and reviews, I thank you from the bottom of my cautious (do not want to pay money) heart!

How many more calories than say grilled chicken ? If you are only using the 1 Calorie Spray (3 sprays) ?
  • Kalici
    Options

How many more calories than say grilled chicken ? If you are only using the 1 Calorie Spray (3 sprays) ?

I like grilled chicken, but the difference in calories between that and a proper battered and deep fried chicken breast is massive. You're at least doubling the calories.
  • therealhyper
    Options

I like grilled chicken, but the difference in calories between that and a proper battered and deep fried chicken breast is massive. You're at least doubling the calories.
    The Airfryer is diffrent though. ...it's not deep fried at all and you are only using a very very tiny amount of oil....in my case it is just the Olive Spray which amounts to 1 Calorie (per each spray).
  • Kalici
    edited March 2016
    Options

The Airfryer is diffrent though. ...it's not deep fried at all and you are only using a very very tiny amount of oil....in my case it is just the Olive Spray which amounts to 1 Calorie (per each spray).

Ah, that is a shame. I thought I'd be able to get a close approximation of English style chips out without having to deep fry them. Thank you for your reply!
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you have the right recipe, you won't need a tablespoon of oil...other than a very light spray of Olive Oil cooking spray. I have an Air Fried Chicken Fried Steak recipe that takes a 1,400 CFS and turns it into 450 calories...and it's just as good.