Why Self Loathing Doesn't Work As Motivation

Options
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lazywriter/view/why-self-loathing-doesn-t-work-116691

Please read. I wrote this today for the younger people who follow my weight loss Tumblr and seem to think that calling themselves disgusting is good motivation. Vote up if you agree!

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Haven't read it yet, but I actually find that it works for me a bit. No, I don't "pity party" myself but If I am feeling no motivation (or just "to sore" to work out) I go in the mirror at the things I think are "disgusting" and it makes me WANT to go work out, and I do!!
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Voted! And very well said! It hurts me too, to see people saying things like that about themselves. You can only improve upon yourself if you love yourself enough to do it. Hating yourself ... just doesn't work. If I go down that path, I end up on a super bumpy road and end up falling off the wagon.

Kudos to you for a great post!
  • lazywriter
    lazywriter Posts: 90
    Options
    If I go down that path, I end up on a super bumpy road and end up falling off the wagon.

Kudos to you for a great post!

Yes, this is generally what happens because it preserves a defeatist attitude. I agree. Thanks for reading and voting. I have managed to lose 20lbs in 4 months without hating myself a single day.
  • lauramae81
    lauramae81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post! I hope all who read it take it to heart and realize that love creates beautiful things, and hate only destroys!