deziray92 Posts: 64 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys. I'll start with stats.
I'm 23 y/o
Starting weight 230 lbs
Current weight 198lbs.
Started life change on Jan. 12th
OK now the problem.
I've been bouncing between 199 and 202 lbs for the past 2 weeks. I do good on week days but Sunday's are my "cheat" day where I eat what I want and still track. I'm debating on if I should cut out my cheat day or not? I think I'm over eating on these days so I'm working to lose the lbs I gain that day plus more during the week. Any advice would help!

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Cut out the cheat days for a month and see what happens
  • deziray92
    Options
    Thanks. I'll try that :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cheat days can easily negate the previous six days' calorie deficits and for many people they encourage unhealthy bingeing. Eat at maintenance one day a week rather than having a cheat day. Or increase your calorie goal so you don't feel deprived enough to need a cheat day.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Can you go from a cheat day to just a cheat meal? This way you at least have something to look forward to.
  • deziray92
    Options
    I could do a cheat meal I suppose. Never crossed my mind actually lol. I have class all day today and they only serve pizza for lunch. Guess that can be my meal for the week :)
  • deziray92
    Options
    I don't really feel "deprived" actually. I tend to get sick on my cheat days as my body isn't use to all the fatty goodness anymore. But if I cut it out completely I'm afraid I'll binge
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Or you could save some calories from your week to save for the weekend.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza fortnightly, chocolate almost every day, other "treats" throughout the week, I just fit them into my calorie intake. Personally, if I had a "cheat" day or meal I would feel like I was severely restricting myself during the week which would quite frankly make me miserable. I have learnt to have smaller portions of aforementioned treats than I would previously, or make better choices about them. For example, before I would have a Deep Pan Meat Feast, now I have a Thin crust Chicken+Veg, this cuts the calories per slice (you could just have a small size rather than large etc also if you really like Meat Feast!). Or I'll have a two finger Kitkat instead of a four finger one (even better a couple of squares of dark chocolate and skip the kitkat altogether). This way I can fit most things into my daily/weekly intake and I also find that by not banning anything, sometimes I actually don't have/need the "bad" item at all.
  • deziray92
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Does that actually help? I'm usually always under my calorie goal for the day during the week
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    deziray92 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Does that actually help? I'm usually always under my calorie goal for the day during the week

It's the week total I look at not my daily intake.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't really feel "deprived" actually. I tend to get sick on my cheat days as my body isn't use to all the fatty goodness anymore. But if I cut it out completely I'm afraid I'll binge

I think that's your body telling you to skip the cheat day or as someone else mentioned, take it down to a cheat meal that way you aren't loading your body unnecessarily with junk it doesn't want :smile:
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    if your cheat day is erasing all deficit from the week, you should make the cheat day less in calorie intake. if it seems like you are still in deficit throughout the week, then probably your counting throughout the week is not as accurate as you thought
  • deziray92
    Options
    True. I'll try going down to one cheat meal a week and see if that helps. Would just love to get past the 198 on the scale
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    When do you weigh yourself? Hopefully not Monday mornings.

A whole cheat day? Thats sounds like your problem.
    I keep my reward meals to putting me about 400-500 calories over for the whole day **(which usually breaks even, meaning no deficit for that day - I eat what I burn essentially) - and its something that I can easily make up for over the next several days.
    I weigh on monday and thats the day I have my "reward meal" or whatever you want to call it - so I have the whole rest of the week to burn additional calories or slightly reduce my daily intake of said surplus spread over the rest of the days.

How much does this day eat into your weekly deficit? - How big of a deficit do you have daily?
  • deziray92
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My goal is 1,360 cals. But I usually eat around 1200. On cheat days I would say around 1800 cals. I kinda slacked on tracking the last cheat day. Also I weigh every other day first thing when I get up. After using the restroom of course.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Just a side note, cheat meal should not be high in fat and accompanied by alcohol. That can also undo a weeks worth of work...

http://www.muscleforlife.com/refeed/
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    On the weekends, I either change my calorie goal from -2 lbs a week to -0.5, or maintain. And eat that. I've been able to stay on track, and not undo my work. I'm not losing as fast as I could, but, I'm not gaining either.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Honestly it sounds like your 'cheat day' is just a day of 'real life' and nothing wrong with that. BUT if you're eating foods that make you feel sick, re-think that.

2 weeks without weight loss is not automatically reason for concern. You know how everyone says 'weight loss is not linear'? That means you are not going to see weight loss every week even if you're eating at a deficit every week. Why? Because our body is not an efficient machine. It is affected by water weight from TOM/hormones, sodium, stress, sleep disruption, muscle soreness, etc. Could be you are ovulating or on your cycle. Could be your sodium or stress levels have been high the last 2 weeks. Could be a # of other things. Keep going as you are, assuming you are happy with your energy levels/nutrition levels/etc. And just be patient on the scale.
    My goal is 1,360 cals. But I usually eat around 1200. On cheat days I would say around 1800 cals. I kinda slacked on tracking the last cheat day. Also I weigh every other day first thing when I get up. After using the restroom of course.

• Jenfit03
    Jenfit03 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just talked to my trainer about looking at my weekly numbers/macros, not just my daily ones. Calories in vs. Calories out. If you don't burn more than you eat - you won't lose weight. Bottom line. Keep tracking your foods, and look at what you are burning vs what you are eating. Are you exercising at all when you consume 1800 calories? I have issues with cheating on the weekends as well, so I'm going to try this new approach and see if my weight drops any faster by doing so. ** Keep up the good work. Keep on tracking! **
  • deziray92
    Options
    I don't really work out. I do at least a half hour walk everyday but that's about it