Thyroid

Options

Replies

• jennifermhine
    jennifermhine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello! This thread is giving me a lot of valuable info. I went to the doctor after a year of gaining 60 pounds very quickly. I knew that wasn't normal. Turns out my thyroid along with another notorious weight gain medication is the issue. I've just been put on the levothyroxin too but at only .05mg a day??!! I'm assuming this will probably change at my next check up. :smiley:

I'd love to have some mfp friends who are going through the same thing so please feel free to add me! I'm 5'2, 195 lbs [compared to 140 this time last year] and I try to be active with the statuses and comments. I find that helps. :)
  • kristinrenee6712
    kristinrenee6712 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 lbs in two years and it was almost impossible to lose weight. So u went to the doctor and it turns out I have an underactive thyroid. I've been on the meds for about a week now and with working out every other day and eating okay, I've lost 4 pounds.
  • finalnail713
    finalnail713 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I LITERALLY will make my appt tomorrow-I know it's dumb but a lot of fear kept me from moving forward. And honestly I dint know if it was thyroid 100 percent or not. And i still need bloodwork too. So I will keep you posted how it goes. I just want to feel better!
  • Angelszophia
    Angelszophia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I think my thyroid is also glitchy.
  • LindzMiche
    LindzMiche Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's and PCOS and was able to lose 100 lbs in about a year...and have been in maintenance for 3 years. It's do-able, so don't let all the "you'll have a hard time losing weight" talk get too much into your head. I did not have a problem with it.
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    fatima987 wrote: »
    Hi.. I don't have a thyroid. I just had surgery a few days ago.
    My greatest concern is will my efforts go in vain and how soon can I start losing my weight. Yesterday I felt ill after attempting to diet 3 days after surgery. I know I need to recover but I can't keep watching the scale go up.

I'll bet if your doctor knew you were trying to diet so soon after surgery, he'd hand you your head!! Not only am I not surprised that you 'felt ill', I also wouldn't be surprised if you lose no weight at all if you keep trying to limit your intake as well. Of course, I don't know exactly what you mean by 'diet' so maybe a good idea would be to ask your doctor what a healthy amount of calories and exercise would be for you so soon after surgery to help your body recover first.

I am sorry to hear you had to have your thyroid removed and hope you recover 100%! Please don't worry about your efforts going in vain. Everyone on this thread has thyroid problems of one kind or another, one, like you, who also doesn't have a thyroid anymore, and many of us are succeeding in our weight loss goals in spite of it. Just let yourself recover from a major surgery, talk to your doctor first about your concerns and then proceed from there.
  • cjean920
    cjean920 Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wondering if anyone else hear thyroid issues? Mine is underactive and I'm on medicine. I have been working out since last Tuesday. Kinda feeling discouraged about my weight...

I have hypothyroidism for about 8yrs now. And I felt super frustrated for years cause I couldn't lose no matter what O ate or how hard I exercised. I did Weight watcher a couple different times and sorta succeeded but a few months ago I found Paleo! I lost 15lbs in 2 1/2 weeks and felt amazing and I didn't even exercise! I am currently doing it again and feel awesome and am down 10lbs already in just 2 weeks.
    I have an open diary so if you'd like to be friends msg me and we work on this!
  • kez277
    kez277 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can we make a group for this?? I have hypothyroidism and am taking 125mcg levothyroxine daily... I put on over 3st before and since being diagnosed over 2 years ago... Think a group for thyroid problem suffers would be great :)
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    kez277 wrote: »
    Can we make a group for this?? I have hypothyroidism and am taking 125mcg levothyroxine daily... I put on over 3st before and since being diagnosed over 2 years ago... Think a group for thyroid problem suffers would be great :)

I also think it would be great to have such a group but have no idea how to start one being fairly new to MFP.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have thyroid issues and I have not gotten on medication yet and I NEED to. Have they helped you at all? I started gaining weight over a few years back after I realized i had a problem with my thyroid. I need medication and to stay healthy. You will get there. Hang in there!! We can be there for each other.

Get your meds! They're cheap, and it's dangerous not to be treated for thyroid issues.

In general, I have not had major issues with my weight because of being hypothyroid. I have Hashimoto's. I was roughly 20 pounds heavier when I was undiagnosed, which was at the high end of my healthy weight range, and probably a little overweight for my smallish frame. I was very active in those days, and I still am. Walking a lot was one of the few things that made me feel better in those miserable years before I had medication.
  • Marshamike
    Marshamike Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid too and started meds about 6 weeks ago. It has made a huge difference in my overall happy outlook on life!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    There is already a Hypothyroid and Hyperthyroid group on here if you do a search. It is active and supportive. National thyroid support sites are good as is Stop the thyroid madness site STTM, which has been about for in excess of 20 years which shows how long some in the medical profession have been unhelpful.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and PCOS. And on medication for both. Yes it is a little harder to lose weight but it can be done. Patience and follow MFP
  • kfm6
    kfm6 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone else hear thyroid issues? Mine is underactive and I'm on medicine. I have been working out since last Tuesday. Kinda feeling discouraged about my weight...

Hi. No thyroid issues here but I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. While not as tough as thyroid, my sugar swings cause me to binge eat at times. I've lost 34 pounds in a very up and down fashion. I am trying to lose any additional 25 to 30 pounds. I have changed my eating habits (whole foods / avoid processed foods) and included regular workouts (elliptical, cycling and weight training). Right now I'm at a plateau and having trouble breaking through it. Friend me if you'd like provide mutual support to reach our goals. I'm happy to share what worked for me and what didn't.

Good luck.

Kevin
  • Wysewoman53
    edited April 2016
    Options
    There is a whole discussion about thyroids and weight loss here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348933/thyroid#latest

Sorry...wrong discussion. I have tried to delete this but it won't go away.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It can be done - but, it will be slow! Be patient with yourself and keep at it. Sure, it gets down right depressing at times, then you need to pick yourself up and get back on that "bus". I have lost over 70 pounds and I'm hypothyroid/Hashimoto/post-menopausal/high blood pressure/IBS .... blah blah blah. Not making light of anyone's issues - I just get tired of hearing myself, sometimes! Cannot at anytime go over 1200 calories in a day (age, height, deskjob, health issues) and the biggest factor is exercise. I know when I have slacked off and not sweated up a storm every single day when I get on the scale and up a pound - even though I've stayed at 1200 calories. Diet is a huge factor and what you eat. I have actually cut out gluten, watch intake of certain vegetables and how they are prepared, many grains are an issue, and no soy products. Work at doing an elimination diet, then add things back in slowly to see what affects your gut and over all well being. I've been able to basically get rid of the IBS, joint pain isn't as bad, cut blood pressure meds to a minimum, sleep a little better (sometimes) -- moral of this story, slow and steady wins this race! Face it - this is for life! Not for a day, a week, a month, or even a year.......
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    thanks Noel those of us who have the gamete of thyroid problems do not think it trivial. I think the WHO is knowledgeable enough to direct our attention to the role of SUGAR much of it added to savoury foods and the pile of sweets and cakes many choose to eat depleting their liver function.
  • nancyscaloriecount
    nancyscaloriecount Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Most Hypothyroid is caused by an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Considering all the processed foods that are in our diets and the chemical soup we live in (both in our homes and out of our homes) there is no wonder there is an epidemic. And, you will have this long before it ever shows up in your labs. Most doctors don't ever check for it. The standard of care is to check the TSH only......and that will only trigger once your way up the creek with out a paddle. So if 1/5 of the population is obese, and 40% of women have hypothyroid then its not unreasonable to assume it is in someway involved in the obesity problem. The real problem comes along when we are told we can not do anything about it, just take this pill and you'll be fine.
  • krishnap1104
    krishnap1104 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks guys! I did hear that most people who have hypothyroid can be allergic to gluten. However, it is so hard trying to find foods that are gluten free