High intensity interval training

Options
Just done a kettlebells and cardio HIIT session but how on earth do you note it down in your diary. Bit confused

Replies

• Simoon91
    Simoon91 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes I have the same question, how do you estimate the amount of calories
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, it is hard to pin point the exact calories burned but I usually estimate it. For me I run 4-5 days a week. My Nike app tells me I burn about 700 calories for a 10 k run at a pace of about 7.5mph. My treadmill says it's a bit more but i think the app is closer. I also box/cross train 2-3 days a week for exactly 60 minutes which includes burpees, planking, squats, skipping and so forth. When I cross train I sweat way more than when I go for a run. I am absolutely drenched after cross training but again mfp doesn't really say what the calories burned are. I usually estimate those days at about 600 calories. It could be more but if I'm not sure I'll go with a bit less.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I'd choose something like "circuit training" but beware the calories it gives you. Either only eat back 50% of your exercise calories, or perhaps modify the calories as you are entering it in. My personal experience is MFP over exaggerates for ALL exercises (walking, running, aerobics).
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to determine because it's all dependent upon your level of intensity and what exercises you're actually doing and how high you get your heart rate. Things that fitness trackers have a problem with. Typically, you're likely not going to burn more than 700 calories for one hour of HIIT, and that's if you're doing it the way it's designed, until you almost feel like you're going to throw up and you reach max effort during the periods where you're supposed to raise your heart rate. If you're pretty consistent, you can judge more from the weight loss or lack thereof and make adjustments on MFP from there.