Where is my waist? Measuring help needed, plz

Options
When I measure waist, I always take the measurement right on the bellybutton. But the skinniest part of my torso is an inch or so above it. Have I been doing it wrong? Which is the correct place?

Replies

• yankeefamily05
    Options
    i do the same. I am curious too!:)
  • AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. Thus far, I've been told by most just go with one or the other, and just always measure that one.
    But I am curious about what advice others have to give on the topic.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Me too. I go right on the bellybutton. But then again, what do I know. :ohwell:
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I measure at my belly button. It doesn't really matter as long as you always measure the same place.
  • dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hahaha funny..try google or utube for measuring instructions...I use them for everything!!!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I thought it was where when you bent sideways, where that crease/fold was...
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I think our waists are where *our* own waist is. The narrowest part will vary from person to person, depending on how long the torso is. Mine is pretty short - there isn't much room at all between my hips and my ribs. Some people have 8-10 inches from hips to ribs. (They can do better sidebending than I can, too!)
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I measure at the smallest point and I also measure about an inch below my belly button (that's the part that needs some work). Just be sure to measure the same place.
  • AngelaAbbott391
    Options
    Your hips are where your hipbones are. A few inches bellow the bellybutton.
    Your waist is where the natural curve is that's around the middle of your torso; It's the narrowest part of the torso. On girls it's easiest to find because it is the smallest part of the "hourglass".

Most people mistake your waist for either your hips or your mid-waist.

Hope this helps! And this is coming from a seamstress who has been sewing and taking measurements for years. :)
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's officially belly button - but for me, I have the typical guy "beer belly" where my thinest point is a couple inches below my belly button, over my hip bones - so my belly hangs over my belt.

I think for terms of measuring - I would want to to measure my progress on my fattest part, not the skiniest part.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am a trainer. According to ACSM, which sets the standard for all Personal training certs out there, your waist measurement should be at your smallest circumference on your torso. Your abdominal measurement is a parallel measurement at the level of your belly button. I measure both. MFP allows you to add measurements. I have added that and arm, and thigh.
  • c2sky
    Options
    And your hip measurement should be the widest part above the gluteal folds ( your butt lines). People may "hear" other things. But the actual standard for the fitness industry is where I have explained.
  • iceysavannah
    Options
    A "true waist measurement" is taken at the smallest part between your chest & hips. Across the belly button is considered the abdomen. Funny how when I was growing up there was never a question about where your waist was but now with high rise, low rise, medium rise jeans we are all confused.
  • c2sky
    Options
    keep in mind that where we measure to sew is not the same place a personal trainer measures.
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist where the waist of my pants/skirts sit, which is right at the belly button. I have a long torso and the smallest part of the hourglass on me is about 4 inches above where my skirts sit. I'm more concerned with my "clothes" waist than I am with my natural waist, so I measure around my belly button and call that my waist measurement. YMMV.
  • merrycat
    merrycat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess that part of the problem is that there is a different "standard" waist for fitness and for sewing. It's useful to know, because I was thinking of ordering dresses off of Etsy, and they need your measurements. For MFP I'm just going to continue measuring my belly button because it's the thickest part of me.
  • ninaws
    ninaws Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes but when you see a movie star or model's bust-waist-hip measurements being something like 34-24-34, the 24" part is at the smallest part of the torso (ie few inches above the belly button, at the natural waist); it would look really strange if they were 24" across the belly button with those measurements.

As far as tracking inches lost via eating and exercise, I measure both my waist and my belly (widest point, about an inch below my belly button).
  • keepkickingbutt
    keepkickingbutt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I clicked onto this topic after reading "Where is my waist?" in the title... I'd been wondering that lately, or more specifically: WHERE HAS MY WAIST GONE???!!!!!???! This is one of the reasons I joined MFP. :)

I agree with trying to measure the same area each time - I find the belly button is a handy place marker!
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I tend to go with the clothes standard of it being the smallest circumference....on the basis that I wear clothes every day!