Over in sugars...help!

Options
so I've surpassed my daily sugars but it's from sweet potato, green beans (I guess there's 1-2g), yogurt (any suggestions on a good one low sugar that tastes good??), I had some honey, and fat free ranch (hey it was better than the regular!)...

If sugars are over and the food has been mostly healthy is it still bad? I'm still under my cals by a lot...is it ok to go over more?

Replies

• nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    There's a big debate on this. Some say it's ok if the sugar comes from healthy sources and other say sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from. I'm testing out the latter theory and reduced all of my sugar and it got me past a plateau and my belly is coming off faster now.
  • emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 216 Member
    Options
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    For low-sugar yogurt, try plain greek yogurt. You can add your own fruit, which generally doesn't have syrup and such that flavored yogurt have.

Or, if you don't mind sugar replacements... fiber one yogurt tastes good, but has aspartame.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Bump!!

I am just about ALWAYS over on my sugar. Even fruit is packed with it. They say your body can't tell the difference, sugar is sugar, but I don't understand how fruit is so good for you buy packed full of sugar.
  • lukeybum
    lukeybum Posts: 3
    Options
    Yoplait Source yogurt the single packs are only about 35calories instead of the other brands that usually range from 90 to 110 cal per serving it tastes great. And best part only 4g of sugar per serving.
    I have a question I tried to put up a post and it doesnt show up on the main board with everyone elses but shows up under my topics. what steps did you take to post yours? Maybe i'm missing a step
  • nicothepotato
    Options
    I have fallen for berries. They taste so sweet but have such low sugar. I'm so glad they are in season and cheap right now. I bake with agave nectar. I eat very dark chocolate but only during TOM. I put myself through sweet withdrawal and it makes everything so much sweeter. It makes it so much easier to stay under, even when I splurge, I don't go overboard.

Artificial sweeteners make you want more sweet. There's a lot of studies on them but they all show that rats that eat artificial sweeteners, eat more calories overall.
  • mflm
    mflm Posts: 10
    Options
    fruit is good for you, yes, but not in excess (as with anything else).

I've found a lot of food's nutritional content, when looked at from an evolution standpoint, makes perfect sense.

Fruit, to our primeval ancestors, was like a big old chuck of cheescake is to us. It was a desert, and a rare one for most individuals. The sugar received from the fruit was put to immediate, important use in the body as glucose, or literally "brain food." It was not always available, however, and so nature influenced animals' psychological and metabolic desire to pig out on fruit when available in order to store as much glucose (and any other nutrients--this was done for foods other than fruits, too) for later use. Today, this is evident in our appetites (which is different than hunger or satiety). A huge plate of food is placed in front of us; we eat, eat ,eat ,eat, eat, paying no attention to the fact we are far past full. Why? Our primal selves believe we can't know for certain when we'll see another plate of food again, so we better eat it now.

Long story long, fruit wasn't so abundant before modern times. Yes, it's great for you, but eating a ton of fruit is going to load sugar and carbs into your diet. Also, bugs will like you more, fyi. Moderation is key.
  • haleycreations
    haleycreations Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey I have a question how do you eliminate the sugar from your daily diet, I had a banana and a cup of milk for breakfast on my cereal and I had almost 32 grams of sugar from those two alone and my MFP says that I need to only have 42 grams for the day without working out of course. I tend to go over a little as well but I get them back when I workout for the day. Any suggestions would be great.
  • nicothepotato
    Options
    Hey I have a question how do you eliminate the sugar from your daily diet, I had a banana and a cup of milk for breakfast on my cereal and I had almost 32 grams of sugar from those two alone and my MFP says that I need to only have 42 grams for the day without working out of course. I tend to go over a little as well but I get them back when I workout for the day. Any suggestions would be great.

While you are trying to lose weight, skip the high sugar fruit like bananas and oranges. Treat them like splurge desserts. I switched to berries as my breakfast fruit. When you reach your goal, it will be alright to go a little over in sugar if you aren't at high risk for diabetes.