Weighting everything to the ounce. So discouraging.

Options

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    grams or ounces. it doesn't matter. the idea is what I meant to say. I think that is the weight watchers approach. it's great if that works for you.

How is the idea any different really from using measuring utensils...which most people don't seem to have an issue with...but then the scale is somehow this crazy thing. It's just a tool and it is faster and more accurate than utensils.

Plus, when you use a scale, you don't have to wash measuring cups/spoons every day. I was on the fence about using a scale, but not having to do extra dishes pushed me over the edge in favor of my scale. I hate washing dishes :wink:
  • dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc
    dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what I would weigh. my vegis? my protein bar? my salad dressing? my prepackaged light string cheese? okay nuts. I could use a measuring cups for nuts. there's nothing I would weigh. what are you eating that you have to weigh? vegis? would you weigh vegis?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    grams or ounces. it doesn't matter. the idea is what I meant to say. I think that is the weight watchers approach. it's great if that works for you.

How is the idea any different really from using measuring utensils...which most people don't seem to have an issue with...but then the scale is somehow this crazy thing. It's just a tool and it is faster and more accurate than utensils.

Yes, exactly! When I cook I now use my food scale for all measurements (a la Alton Brown.)
    2 cups of flour = 240 grams
    3 Tablespoons of brown sugar = 37 grams

No leveling, no rounding, just dump it in and weigh.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything, but that doesn't mean that you have to. If you are successfully losing without weighing, keep at it!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what I would weigh. my vegis? my protein bar? my salad dressing? my prepackaged light string cheese? okay nuts. I could use a measuring cups for nuts. there's nothing I would weigh. what are you eating that you have to weigh? vegis? would you weigh vegis?

Yes, weigh veggies (unless it's something like 1-2 leaves of lettuce that you throw on a sandwich). Weigh salad dressing, and nuts, and ice cream, and yogurt, and any kind of meat, and cheese, and crackers, and bread, and pasta, and pasta sauce...etc.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I weigh it all.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

All of the above.

Seriously. The back of your protein bar should give you a serving size in grams. They're allowed to be off by a certain %. Same goes for prepackaged string cheese. And especially nuts.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

The weight on packaged food is often inaccurate. You can very easily cram extra nuts in a measuring xup
  • dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc
    dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    okay, I will think about it. maybe buying a scale soon!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    I don't own a food scale. I will probably get beat up for that... LOL

I estimate the best that I can & it's working. I have 5lbs more to go to get to my goal. If I happen to stall I may have to spring for one but for now I refuse to weigh my food... :)

Nah, just the ones that don't own a food scale and refuse to use a food scale who can't figure out why they're not losing weight :p

This.

Weighing your food takes a couple extra minutes a day max and it means that you can eat literally anything you want and still lose weight as long as you don't eat too much of it. It's incredible to have no restrictions - when I was losing weight (I've maintained for a couple years now) it was so nice to know that I could still have chocolate or cheese or whatever it was I was craving as long as I weighed it and logged it and stayed under my goal for the day. It turns weight loss from this difficult, uncertain task into basic arithmetic. It's easy, it's manageable, and while there will always been errors (either in your calories burned from activity or mistakes made while logging) it's really so simple and straightforward if you take a few minutes to learn to do it as accurately as possible.

I still weigh lots of my food after maintaining for a long time, but now I do it to make sure I'm eating enough to sustain my activity level (and not overdo it on the super calorie-dense stuff like nut butters and ice cream.) It's just habit now and is just one more thing I do to take care of my health, like flossing my teeth, going to the gym, or making regular doctor and dentist appointments.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I estimate the best that I can & it's working. I have 5lbs more to go to get to my goal. If I happen to stall I may have to spring for one but for now I refuse to weigh my food... :)

Nah, just the ones that don't own a food scale and refuse to use a food scale who can't figure out why they're not losing weight :p

Hmm

Maybe I will buy a scale then just for fun to see how close I have been estimating. if I wasn't loosing weight I would probably have bought one by now... LOL

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just read one blog. OMG I'm new to this forum. It's so shocking. Really, is that what you do? Weigh everything to the ounce? It's so discouraging. Diet.
    I just read one blog. OMG I'm new to this forum. It's so shocking. Really, is that what you do? Weigh everything to the ounce? It's so discouraging. Diet.

@dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc welcome to MFP.

I eat out a couple times a day and it is hard to train kitchens to weight the food before they cook it and I do not do it at home in my case. I use bathroom scales that are great to giving the net results of my eating and moving after the fact which is my only interest.

That being said we do have to learn what we are eating in the way of carbs, protein and fats if we are going to modify our Way Of Eating. 99.9% of all reading this needs to modify something. :)

In 2014 I stopped dieting forever because it only lead to weigh gains for the past 40 years in my case. Instead I just started to read about how to eat for a longer healthy life. After I gained some basic understanding of how to do that I realized it was what I ate that determined my weight more than how much I ate because all my cravings went away when I only ate foods that were right for my body.

We are all different. I am slow so it took me a couple years to learn how to eat so I did not have to compute how much to eat with external aids other than the bathroom scales. Being a 65 year old guy I track my waking weight and post bathroom weight because that impresses the doctor at my annual physical. :)

There is a lot of good, bad and indifferent info about how to eat on the WWW so it takes some time to sniff through it all to see what smells right or wrong for you. What may be good info for one may be deadly info for another.

Best of success.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I don't know why anyone would say it's discouraging. It's easy and anyone can do it. There's no guesswork. It's actually liberating because you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your calories.

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

Hmm

Maybe I will buy a scale then just for fun to see how close I have been estimating. if I wasn't loosing weight I would probably have bought one by now... LOL

After reading so much about it here that's what I did! I could probably eyeball my portions and be fine but I love using my food scale!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight the way you want then you want to be as accurate with your logging as possible. Weighing food is a very helpful tool to do that. It isn't a requirement.
    I don't weigh absolutely everything but it is helpful for getting the right portion size of certain foods.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Weighing, measuring, or estimating and logging food is far less discouraging than trying to lose weight using random methods and not understanding why you're not losing. This method works and SUCCESS is not discouraging!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do it but really, it takes 10 seconds. It's just annoying when you make recipes, then it takes 15 minutes to enter the recipe.

It's better than the alternative (overeating and staying fat).
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Weighing, measuring, or estimating and logging food is far less discouraging than trying to lose weight using random methods and not understanding why you're not losing. This method works and SUCCESS is not discouraging!

Can I get an AMEN!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It's actually not such a big deal to weigh everything. I'm in the camp of weighing certain things...like I would generally just use a measuring cup for popcorn or steamed broccoli (a little more or less is negligible calories) but I do like to weigh items that are difficult to measure accurately or high in calorie like cheese and meat. I do a lot of recipes, weigh the whole thing in grams and divide by the number of servings...then I know exactly how much soup or what-have-you my serving size should weigh. I do cut things like casseroles into a certain number of servings right away and that's an eye ball thing, but if I have a slightly higher calorie piece today then tomorrows will probably be slightly lower. It all works out.

It's really not so overwhelming when you get in the habit. I think a lot of people say "weigh everything" but don't really mean literally everything. Some people do, but I don't think most people weigh sliced bread or a single serve yogurt for example.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Yep! I keep a scale out on my counter, and weigh everything I prepare at home. And the hubs does it too! Even though he doesn't log like I do, my husband is an avid cook and baker, and he weighs and logs all recipes.

It's like reaching for a knife, or wiping down the cutting board and counter after veggie chopping: it just becomes part of what I do in the kitchen.